PDA

View Full Version : Stop order on Kimber?

katana8869
April 21, 2007, 07:48 PM
I ordered a Kimber Pro Carry II HD 3 weeks ago and it's still not here. In the meantime, I have been seeing alot of negetive post on Kimbers in general.

I am considering calling my shop and telling them to order a SA Loaded Champion in SS instead... any opinions on which is better?

hdawson228
April 21, 2007, 07:58 PM
I am very, very happy with my SA 1911. Also a SA XD9. :cool:

No manufacturer has a better reputation for customer service and the custom shop is great. Call and you get a real live person.

Sturmgewehre
April 21, 2007, 08:17 PM
If you can switch, I would much rather have a Springfield.

Here's my most recent addition to my collection. This gun is one of the best built 1911's I've ever owned.

http://i104.photobucket.com/albums/m167/tharmsen/Forums/guns/EMP_target_2.jpg

That target was the first group I fired with the gun after buying it. It was fired at 21ft and that's 50 rounds. Out of a 3" barreled mini-1911, you can't beat that.

Officer's Match
April 21, 2007, 09:25 PM
SA should give you a commission for that pic.:cool:

Sturmgewehre
April 21, 2007, 09:27 PM
Start a petition for me. :p

RSublime4Life
April 21, 2007, 10:06 PM
Nah, you can still see part of the X. ;)

-Russ

HorseSoldier
April 21, 2007, 10:53 PM
I've not had any trouble whatsoever from my two Kimbers. I personally would not hesitate to look at another Kimber if I had some reason to be in the market for another 1911 type pistol.

On the other hand, Springfields are solid. I've got friends who shoot everything from bone stock low end Springfields to some of the mid-to-high end production models and they all seem quite satisfied with their pistols.

OBIWAN
April 21, 2007, 11:01 PM
I have also owned two flawless Kimbers

If you listen to the grousing online you will never own another pistol

There is always someone that has had (or thinks they have had) a problem

lunde
April 21, 2007, 11:07 PM
Nice EMP! I picked up mine on Monday, and will get it to the range soon. Here are a couple snapshots:

http://lundestudio.com/photos/emp-left-full.jpg

http://lundestudio.com/photos/emp-right-flat.jpg

lawdogso
April 21, 2007, 11:14 PM
Here is my link on this forum about the trouble my two new Kimbers have caused me.
http://www.thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=245380

lawdoso

Tony C
April 21, 2007, 11:25 PM
I purchased a Kimber Pro CDP II (4") in the end of January and just put my 500th round through it today without any hitches. I would not trade it for anything, it is accurate enough to put 5 rounds into the same hole at 7 yards. I would suppose that any manufacturer's handgun could end up with a problem like the ones that are being reported here about the Kimber's, but I would recommend that you keep with your purchase although Springfield is also a good hand gun.

heck333
April 22, 2007, 09:13 AM
I have a Kimber Pro Carry II HD. It is my primary carry piece. I have several thousand rounds through it flawlessly. Wait for your Kimber...

Greg

fairview mick
April 22, 2007, 09:34 AM
I'm on my fifth Kimber, external extractor and internal. Not so much as one hitch other than a light creep in the trigger in my Grand raptor. They fixed that immediately(their call tag and one week). I just got an ultra cdp and it amazingly accurate.
Love my Kimbers and wouldn't buy any other at this point.
Mickey

HardcoreHehaw
April 22, 2007, 09:40 AM
SA should give you a commission for that pic.
I was gonna say... pretty impressive for your first time with the gun. It sure is pretty looking to.
9mm, right?

Trapper L
April 22, 2007, 09:54 AM
If you just have to have a Kimber, get an old one. The new ones are nothing but trouble and Kimbers customer service, well, they don't have a clue what that is. I have a new Kimber out of their custom shop. When I got it you couldn't keep the bullets on a 16" piece of paper at 25 yds. I sent it back (and YOU pay shipping which can be expensive- mine was $75.00) only to get it back in the same condition. I paid my smitty to fix what Kimber should have fixed. Yeah, it's a great shooter now- shoots under an inch at 25 yds, but I should not have had to send a pistol from their custom shop back for anything. I also should have gotten the pistol back fixed. And if you really want an experience in how customer service should never be run, have a conversation with Dennis, the head of customer service. He is absolutely clueless about customer service or simple manners. My Kimber will still need work on the TARGET trigger as it is the worst of any of my pistols including my Baby Eagles, Rugers, Witnesses, or Colts. It has three distinct letoffs before it goes off and tons of creep. Yepper, now that's worth a lot as a TARGET trigger. I won't have another KIMBER at any price. Screw me once..........

Eghad
April 22, 2007, 10:20 AM
I am considering calling my shop and telling them to order a SA Loaded Champion in SS instead... any opinions on which is better?

I have a Kimber Tactical Pro II and a SA Loaded Champion that I purchased within 90 days of each other. I still have the Kimber. The SA SS loaded Champion felt like a heavy boat anchor compared to the Kimber TPII. Just didnt like the weight of it.

The only problem I had with my Kimber was magazine related. Once I switched to Wilson and MCM no problems.

I think SA and Kimber make great guns. I own several SAs and the one Kimber. Both are great guns and you will be in good shape either way.

Abstract
April 22, 2007, 10:36 AM
I don't really have an opinion, regarding Kimber v. Springfield, but have fired a friend's Kimber Compact on several occasions. His Kimber came with an extractor that had no tension. I adjusted the extractor tension, and now all is well.

I wouldn't buy either, based only on its ability to "shoot one-hole groups @ 7 yds." Any box-stock Glock will do that, for a lot less money, and you'll have more rounds per magazine with which to do it!

M1911
April 22, 2007, 10:43 AM
I've got three Kimbers (all series I) and one Springfield (actually, a GSP-2000, which is a lightly customized Springfield).

I love each and every one of the Kimbers and they've been quite reliable for me.

The Springfield came with a two-piece barrel that was a complete POS. My 4" Kimber Compacts were noticeably more accurate at 50' than the 5" Springfield. So I had to have the barrel replaced. The Springfield's trigger had significant creep, so I had the disconnector, sear, and hammer replaced. The front of the thumb safety appears slightly misshapen, resulting in a not-so-positive action of the thumb safety. The front-strap profile of the Springfield is more square, which I find to be less comfortable than the more rounded profile on the Kimber.

The Kimbers are stock, save for trigger jobs and night sights on my carry compacts. I've got $350 of aftermarket work into the Springfield just to make usable.

From my experience, keep the Kimber and skip the Springfield. YMMV.

Shane Tuttle
April 22, 2007, 11:36 AM
Katana,

To make it even more confusing for you, here's my experience and thoughts:

Used to own an Ultra Carry II. Sold it to my brother. I kick myself in the pants every time he mentions how great it's been for him. I was contemplating on buying a Pro Carry a couple of months ago. Started doing quite a bit of research on different forums as well as this one. Went to most of the gunshops in my area. Also talked to several members of my gun club. Handled several brands and shot a few, too. When it all came down to it, I ordered a Springer Loaded. I'm sure if I bought a Kimber, it would have been a good gun. But, IF I had to send it in for repair, I wanted to be backed by outstanding customer service. Second, I live a stone's throw away from Springfield Armory. That means any additional custom work done on my gun goes into the local economy.

I think no matter what gun you buy, whether a Glock, Colt, or ArmaLite, etc., there's going to be a lemon somewhere. Yes, the ones that post bad experience with their Kimber's may be louder than the ones that have good, I haven't really seen much garbage posted on this subject either. I'm not there to hear Kimber's defense, but specific details of one's experience should at least raise an eyebrow...

tydephan
April 22, 2007, 02:43 PM
Not trying to turn this into a "Post your EMP pic" thread...but:

http://i84.photobucket.com/albums/k40/tydephan/010607_gunpics2033.jpg

I also agree with moving toward a Springfield. I've never had a problem with Kimber, because I've never owned one. My Springfields are perfect for me!

fairview mick
April 22, 2007, 06:09 PM
I don't know what Kimber Service department you're dealing with. I've had an occasion to send back two Kimbers for minor problems. I e.mailed Dennis, he called the next day, sent a call tag on each occasion and every time the turn around was eight days. Perhaps if you happen to talk politely to the service department, you get things done in an orderly fashion. I think you'll read a lot of posts in this forum that back me up as to the great service department Kimber has!!! My Grand Raptor had to go back twice, because I wanted the trigger to be a certain way. He sent call tags both times and on my Ultra carry, there was a problem with the main spring. Call tag was sent and I had the gun in one week.
Mickey

Playboypenguin
April 22, 2007, 06:31 PM
I have never had a problem with my Kimber and it is a creampuff to shoot but I think I would choose the Sprinfield over the Kimber.

I love my SA 1911 A1 more than I ever thought I could love an auto loader.

If you want something more in the same price range as the Kimber take a look at the Para Ordnance Slim Hawg. It is just plain awesome. I just bought it after getting sick of looking at all the EMP pics on here and being green with envy. It is even a wee bit smaller than the EMP but a little bit heavier and it is a .45acp as compared to the 9mm EMP.

http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r89/PlayboyPenguin/Handgun%20collection/SprinfieldA1.jpg

http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r89/PlayboyPenguin/Handgun%20collection/SlimHawg.jpg

oldbillthundercheif
April 22, 2007, 06:48 PM
I've been extremely happy with my SA 1911A1, but I sure as hell would not disparage the fine Kimber brand (especially their target pistols). I've shot several and was impressed every time.

I have also heard some grousing about Kimbers from time to time, but no more than any other firearm maker. In this age of robots human time is expensive and a lot of manufacturers are going to let a lemon slip through the cracks every once in a while.

I don't call a modern company's products junk until I have had more than one bad experience attributable to poor quality control...

Because of my semi-generous standards, the only gunmaker that I can say for sure makes awful, junk firearms is Kahr. Kimber is nowhere close.

M1911
April 22, 2007, 07:16 PM
I remembered one other Springfield experience. A friend of mine bought a new Springfield a few years back. He sent it back to Springfield's custom shop for a bunch of work (to make it prettier and add features). When it came back, it sure did look nice. The dehorning was very nicely done. But the barrel to slide lock-up wasn't great and my stock 5" Kimber (that has at least 5000 rounds through it) is noticeably more accurate.

pumpkinheaver
April 22, 2007, 08:22 PM
Nothing wrong with Springfields but in my opinion Kimbers are better.

Abstract
April 23, 2007, 09:55 AM
tydephan's excellent photo reminds me of the stories my maternal grandmother told me about how her brother was shot dead @ a poker game. :)