PDA

View Full Version : Dixie Gun Works

res ipsa loquitur
April 16, 2007, 11:29 PM
I am considering purchasing a kit gun from Dixie. Anyone have any problems with their quality, cost, ordering, etc.

Assistance is much appreciated.

arcticap
April 17, 2007, 12:22 AM
I think that really depends on which kit you're considering. They do have reviews listed from customers that are often helpful and honest.
They are a relatively old, large and reputable outfit. Their Dixie rifles are pretty well known for being of decent quality. And they even carry some items that no one else does. It's their really inexpensive pistol kits that buyers may need to watch out for, and the reviews are there to indicate which ones.

Here's a recent report posted on this forum from someone who ordered from them, but it's probably not typical.

http://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=238965

Steve499
April 17, 2007, 04:22 AM
I have always had good luck with Dixie. They did send me one pistol which had so much wrong with it that I was looking around for the hidden camera when I opened it, but they took it back without any hassle. It was a Palmetto which Dixie seems to handle a lot of. There are several Palmetto kit guns which I would never consider buying. Any kit made by any one else should be generally o.k., though all of the Italian reproductions seem to have more than their normal share of lemons.

Steve

Phantom Captain
April 17, 2007, 06:19 PM
Hi,

I've dealt with Dixie for years and years and NEVER had a problem with them. They ship very quickly too. I wouldn't hesitate to do business with them, rest assured. They do let stand the occasional negative reviews of some of their more questionable products on their site as well which I actually find encouraging.

Double J
April 18, 2007, 10:06 AM
--The only problem I've had from Dixie was with a kit for a Traditions .50 Hawkin Rifle. Somewhere back when the factory cut the stock, the hole for the trigger was off far enough that the stock was unuseable. I salvaged the kit for scrap parts. That I believe was Traditions fault, not Dixie's however.

mykeal
April 18, 2007, 01:42 PM
I agree with all that's been said - Dixie is reliable and dependable.

One note of dissent, however: Articap - the staff is "experienced", not "old":D

From an "experienced" bp shooter....:rolleyes: