PDA

View Full Version : Decisions, Decisions

Akgeezer
April 15, 2007, 03:28 PM
Ok, I want a tack driver. I'd like a nice AR and put a decent scope on it, but it's really not in my budget right now. I've also considered a centerfire rifle, probably a Savage in 223, and put a nice scope on it. Most probably it will never be used off of the range and, while there, it will be punching holes in paper. That would be much less of an investment than the AR. I'm just fearfull of the left wing Libs geting enough power to reinvoke the AWB again. I'd really hate to have missed the boat on getting an AR in there current available configuration, should that happen. So, do I wait until I can go for an AR or be content with a bolt rifle? Either would be fun at the range. I do like the semi-auto, but i really don't get to take much advantage of that at the range. I do have an AK that would fit the bill in a SHTF situation. If your a fan of either convince me why one is a better choice than the other. :rolleyes:

fisherman66
April 15, 2007, 03:39 PM
It sounds like you really want the AR. Why blow your rifle fund on the Savage if it's the AR you want? Keep saving.

DnPRK
April 15, 2007, 03:48 PM
Buy a couple stripped AR lower receivers. They can be had for $120 ea. Then take your time and buy the parts needed to assemble them into accurate rifles. It's not difficult to do and the costs can be spread out as your budget allows.

629 shooter
April 15, 2007, 04:47 PM
Ok, I want a tack driver.

Most probably it will never be used off of the range and, while there, it will be punching holes in paper. That would be much less of an investment than the AR.

I bought a Savage 12BVSS last year for $599 and that got me a stainless rifle with 26" barrel and nice laminated stock and 2.25lb out of the box trigger. It does fit into the tack driver category and makes a great range rifle and with the 1 in 9" twist will shoot heavier bullets like 69 grain match very accurately.

So, do I wait until I can go for an AR or be content with a bolt rifle?

If you think you will only be content with the bolt I would suggest waiting to get something that you will feel totally overjoyed with! But for "tack driving" accuracy it will be hard to beat the Savage for the price.

alexg
April 15, 2007, 07:37 PM
I'm a pretty young guy(only 15) but at age 14 i realized that I love bolt action rifles. Now I suppose many people would say that at a time a boy my want to be a sniper not really knowing what it entails and when finding they realize that they are too lazy to fulfil their dream but I know what it entails and I still want it. So if there is a bolt action expert ( who happens to be a marksman or a sniper or in long range competition shooting) who is knowlegable and kind enough to take me under his wing and teach me everything from terminology to scopes and beyond please respond (o I'm from Jamaica in the Caribbean). Also if that person I'm looking for is on MSN messenger please give me your email address so I can add you.:)

rgitzlaff
April 15, 2007, 09:59 PM
If you want to learn about all that stuff, I suggest you first start researching online. There is a wealth of information out there. I can highly recommend snipers paradise for information on long range precision shooting, optics, marksmanship, all that stuff. Use the search function to look for your information before posting a question. Most likely you'll find that someone else has already asked it. There are also many tutorials that you will be able to find online regarding shooting techniques and all that....