PDA

View Full Version : Opinions on EMP please

PJW001
April 11, 2007, 05:42 PM
I am considering several models for CCW, this obviously being one of them. If you could provide your opinions, experiences (both pro and con) I would appreciate it.

lockedcj7
April 11, 2007, 06:56 PM
love the concept, hate the price.

I don't have small hands so that's not a consideration. I would love a light, small hi-cap 9 or .40 with a grip safety. Don't care for the looks or ergonomics of the XD. If my G23 had a grip safety, I'd be in heaven.

Officer's Match
April 11, 2007, 07:35 PM
I think its a great concept, but I'd like to see a scandium or aluminum frame to further reduce weight for CCW work. Right now its the same weight as Kimber's Ultra Carry II's in 45acp, which are alloy framed. I think Springfield Armory is missing the chance to have a decisive advantage over other mini-1911's in the weight department. Otherwise, the less expensive and more powerful 45's will be getting my soon-to-be-spent-CCW-$.

joe1347
April 11, 2007, 08:35 PM
love the concept, hate the price.

Agree. I wonder how many EMP's Springfield has sold so far? Plus, does pocket carry make really sense - from a marketing perspective - for a Single Action semi-auto? Yes, I know it (the EMP) would likely be in a sturdy pocket (or IWB) holster with the safety on - which is likely safer than a similarly holstered Seecamp. But would the general buying public agree? I suspect not. So is Springfield almost exclusively targeting existing large frame 1911 (single action) fans (owners), who are looking for a similar single action - but very small (pocket sized) carry pistol? There's certainly a lot of 1911 owners out there and most 1911 owners will likely take single action over double action any day.

How about a Bersa/Firestorm 380 for about $200 instead? ;)

threefivesevenmag
April 11, 2007, 10:30 PM
The EMPS are selling well at my store.

They are slim, which counts more than weight in a properly holstered CCW. The triggers are excellent and it is an easy shooting handgun with a 9+1 capacity. It has many excellent features that expensive production guns warrant. The price is pretty fair for what you get in return.

It's very solid. None of them come back, all of the owners come back with praise.

Officer's Match
April 11, 2007, 10:38 PM
I was just informed by knowledgeble sources that I was in error about the EMP having a steel frame - it already is alloy. What I don't understand is why it isn't lighter than other standard compact alloy framed 45's.

sox
April 12, 2007, 02:29 PM
I think if it were offered in .45 it would be lighter as the barrel would be quite a bit smaller. The 9mm barrel looks like a solid billet with a little hole in it an it is pretty heavy.

Officer's Match
April 12, 2007, 03:12 PM
That must be it, but I thought all the other "shrinking" the EMP concept embodies would offset that. I'd definitely like to try an EMP, but candidly, the 45 interests me more as I love the grip of a "regular" sized 1911.

Officer's Match
April 12, 2007, 04:16 PM
Here's an idea: how about a EMP GAP 45?

joe1347
April 12, 2007, 05:17 PM
The EMPS are selling well at my store

Out of curiosity, is there a profile for the 'typical' EMP buyer? For example, were most EMP buyers already 1911 owners?

Officer's Match
April 12, 2007, 05:34 PM
I just got the SA website to open (about half of my computers won't open the $^$#%^& thing) and I see they make mention of a 40 and GAP version. Interesting...

PJW001
April 13, 2007, 05:13 AM
My thanks to all for the input..couple of questions:

-Have any experienced FTF's, FTL, or any other issues?
-Any specific ammo loading issues?
-How has the size been in regards to printing, comfort when shooting and carrying?

Appreciate all input, I realize that I need to find a range where I can rent and experience this handgun for myself..just having trouble doing this where I am located...hope that is just due to the relatively recent release of this springfield.

Kar-el
April 13, 2007, 10:42 PM
I just put 500 rounds of WWB through my new EMP, I also ran 50 of Personal Protection (Win Walmart) of both 115 and 147gr. and 50 of Silver Bear 147 gr.

650 rounds total. (I had some help breaking it in-what good friends I have when I supply the ammo & gun!):)

I did this all without cleaning it, just a little Rem Oil after checking it out at home the night before.

The grip is noticable smaller than a regular 1911. I can get back on target very quickly (hardly go off target!). I was easily outshooting my friend with his Springfirld XD.

It's my favorite carry 1911 and I have 2 Kimbers(Pro CDP and Stainless Target-both Series 1), 1 Colt, 1 AMT Longslide:rolleyes: , and 2 Norincos. (The AMT I carry Mexican......). All are .45's

It carries well in the supplied holster, but I would like to get some good leather. I have carried a Glock 26(too bulky) and a Kahr PM9(much more muzzle flip than the EMP, but doesn't feel much smaller when carrying).

It makes me want a "fullsize EMP" (Oxymoron?) for just shooting! :D

Officer's Match
April 13, 2007, 10:44 PM
I think Commander length and "Fullsize" would be a great idea.

sox
April 14, 2007, 08:41 AM
I just recently got the EMP 9mm, after waiting a bit and reading all the reports on the net. I am impressed. This little thing worked fine through my first 200 rounds FMJ S&B.

Please call Springfield Armory Customer Svc. (800.680.6866) and bug them about bringing it out in the GAP, as they are on the fence right now and leaning toward not doing it. This is the type of weapon the GAP was meant for, as it is in this platform that it does offer something the ACP can't.

There are currently 27 factory loads for the GAP, and Georgia Arms is going to add it to their line, due to the recent adoption of the caliber by our Georgia State Patrol.