PDA

View Full Version : Any thoughts on the Hi-Point carbine?

Johnc
April 10, 2007, 10:14 AM
Does any one have experience with the Hi-Point carbine in .40 or .45?

MMcfpd
April 10, 2007, 12:35 PM
I don't think they've ever released a .45 version, despite having talked about it for years now.

Crosshair
April 10, 2007, 05:01 PM
The they are getting the 4595 ready for mass production as we speak. They are currently filling backorders of their other carbines. The first run is going to be 500 rifles. Talk about demand exceeding supply, 500 carbines will last about 30 seconds.:rolleyes: My credit card is going be charged as soon as I find out who I call/bribe/blackmail to have one ordered.

The picture links are dead in the threads I am posting, but just imagine what a 4095 looks like and you have have 99% of the picture.

Threads on the Hi-Point Firearms Forum.
Sneak Peek of the Hi-Point .45 ACP Carbine (http://hipoint.7.forumer.com/viewtopic.php?t=1854)
45ACP carbines??? (http://hipoint.7.forumer.com/viewtopic.php?t=4916)
Up-Date .45acp Carbine is looking Good! (http://hipoint.7.forumer.com/viewtopic.php?t=4679&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0)

/BTW, I own a 995, C9, and will be picking up a 4095 in a week. I love them all. Great shooters.

Johnc
April 10, 2007, 07:49 PM
Thanks Crosshair.

Some good reading on that forum. It looks like Hi-Point has picked up a cult following with this rifle. There is something appealing to have a rifle chambered in a handgun cartridge. Lets see, I already own a .40 and a .45 handgun hmmmm.........

MDman
April 10, 2007, 07:54 PM
I have one in 9mm, and its my least favorite gun i own. I bought the ati gun stock for it, and its still a crappy gun. ive been trying to sell mine since I bought it.

Big-Foot
April 10, 2007, 08:37 PM
I have one in 9mm, and its my least favorite gun i own. I bought the ati gun stock for it, and its still a crappy gun. ive been trying to sell mine since I bought it.

Innaccurate? Unreliable?

MDman
April 10, 2007, 08:57 PM
I supose to be fair I am being hard on it, sometimes when I pull the trigger bullets come out the other end. I havent shot it very much but thats due to it jamming. I decided jamming was mostly the mags fault, but dont like the gun enough to get more mags. alot of my dislike for it comes from the original stock and how terrible it was. I could twist the whole thing in my hands real easy. but I do supose its accurate enough.

rugerdude
April 10, 2007, 10:12 PM
The Hi-point is an awesome gun! They are extremely durable, and have an excellent warranty.

^you need to send your gun in to hi-point, and they will fix it for free. They will probably even give you a free mag for your trouble.

Here's my story: I bought my hi-point for 170 bucks and I took it home and was happy as a clam. However, when I screwed on the charging handle, I snapped the threaded part off while it was stuck in the threads of the bolt. Well, I was bummed that I broke my gun, but I decided to at make some effort to fix it, so I filled the hole with super glue (yep, I put super glue in the bolt) and stuffed the rest of the charging handle in there. I let the glue dry, and a couple days later I shot it (after really prying the bolt open) and it has been flawless. No jams, not even with super glue in the bolt.

Pros:
1. Cheap
2. Reliable
3. Rear adjustable ghost ring sights
4. It actually shoulders pretty well
5. Warranty is for life, and transfers owners with the gun

Cons:
1. Only 10 round mags
2. Mags aren't cheap
3. Trigger is kinda mushy

Anyway, I love my hi-point, so that's my $0.02

chris in va
April 11, 2007, 12:05 AM
I've had so-so luck with mine. It's been back to the factory three times, once needing a re-adjustment since the firing pin wasn't lined up with the primer.

Frankly I wish they had just sent me a whole new gun instead of going through all that mess. Practically everything has been replaced on it, and I now have about 8 mags. If you know HiPoint service, you know what I'm talking about.

Bottom line, I don't trust it more than just a plinker at the range. At one time it did serve as HD duty, but no longer.

As for the gun itself, accuracy is pretty good, and fun with a red dot. Most first time shooters I encounter love the thing. Velocities approach 357 mag.

rugerdude
April 11, 2007, 05:46 PM
Do a search here, on hi-point. I think you'll find an overwhelming majority of people who are satasfied.

I wouldn't have touched a hi-point before I read up on them and found out that they are actually decent guns, but their looks and price open them up to criticism.