PDA

View Full Version : Old Ruger M77's

Gbro
April 9, 2007, 05:10 PM
Is it proper to refer to an old Ruger Model 77 as a Mark I?

This was a bit of discussion on the job today.

Thanks

support_six
April 9, 2007, 05:52 PM
The paperwork for my 1982 year .30-06 M77 does not indicate the wording "Mark I" so I wouldn't. It's a little like the problem encounted when John Brown begets John Brown Jr. and then everyone wants to call his dad John Brown Sr.!

BTW, I noticed that my M77 holds one more round in the magazine than the Mark II versions.

Gbro
April 9, 2007, 10:07 PM
I kind of like that line of thought, "Modle 77Senior".
What happened was, a wanted note was posted for a Ruger Mark I (tang safety) .257Rob. I thought it was improperly posted, the poster argued that if there is a Mark II, even though the old (senior) wasn't so marked it could also be refered to as MK I, as he had no interest in the MK II.

fisherman66
April 9, 2007, 11:13 PM
I just love those old tang safeties.

Art Eatman
April 10, 2007, 09:15 AM
My recollection from way back then was that it was just a Ruger 77. (My first one was a .243 and then I got a heavy-barreled Swift.) Ruger later came out with the Mark II. I really doubt they went back and renamed the 77. :)

Art

44 AMP
April 11, 2007, 12:18 AM
There is the Ruger Model 77 and the model 77 Mark II. The Ruger 77 (with the tang safety) came in two basic action styles, the shorter action, which has the bases for Ruger rings integral with the action, and the "round top" longer action, which has the bases attached by screws. I had one of the round tops in .30-06 back in the early 80s. There were lots of variations in bbl and stocks, but the basic actions were either one type or the other.

I think there was a later version of the 77 where the "round top" was replaced with the integral bases, but I am not sure. I do know the guns made during the 70s and 80s were either "standard" or "round top" actions.

dgludwig
April 11, 2007, 03:45 PM
As others have indicated, there were (are) no Mark I Model 77s. What makes this fact odd, in addition to the usual practice of II following I number sequencing one usually assumes is the case, is that Ruger dubbed the target version of their .22 semi-auto pistol the Mark I from 1951 thru 1982. In 1982, after some minor changes were made to the pistol, it was called the Mark II. A couple of years ago, after some more minor updates were made, it was renamed the Mark III. But, as Art Eatman noted, it is rather unlikely that Ruger renamed the original Model 77 "posthumously".

Paul B.
April 15, 2007, 11:32 AM
"There is the Ruger Model 77 and the model 77 Mark II. The Ruger 77 (with the tang safety) came in two basic action styles, the shorter action, which has the bases for Ruger rings integral with the action, and the "round top" longer action, which has the bases attached by screws. I had one of the round tops in .30-06 back in the early 80s. There were lots of variations in bbl and stocks, but the basic actions were either one type or the other.

I think there was a later version of the 77 where the "round top" was replaced with the integral bases, but I am not sure. I do know the guns made during the 70s and 80s were either "standard" or "round top" actions."

IIRC, the round top was a somewhat limited edition in only a few calibers. Most of the tang safety Ruger M77s used the Ruger rings. In fact, I've only seen two Ruger 77 round top rifles at gun shows and they commanded a premium price.
Paul B.

dgludwig
April 15, 2007, 04:06 PM
Paul B.: I'm not sure if I'm following you right but I bought a "Liberty" Model 77, chambered in 30-06 back in 1976 that has a "round" (non-Ruger base/rings) top. The "liberty" moniker aside, are you saying that my "round top" would command a "premium price" by collectors? I had no idea that the round top version of the Model 77 was so scarce.