PDA

View Full Version : Western Field 1500, .410, What's it worth?

Northern Sod Breaker
April 2, 2007, 09:48 PM
There is one of these coming up on an auction. What is it worth? I realize it's hard to say with out seeing the gun but what's a good price range?

TIA,
Shotgun,

rem33
April 2, 2007, 10:39 PM
go here find out who made it, what model it is but my limited experience is their not worth a lot 100 or 2 usually

http://www.hoosiergunworks.com/catalog/cross_reference.html

williamd
April 3, 2007, 12:01 PM
Seems to be a Mossberg derivative. I'd say a couple of hundred at best since it has Western Field stamped on it. Absolutely nothing wrong with the gun and fun for birds or rabbits. But, you can get a used Rem M870 for a bit over $200. 410 adds a bit.

ebutler462
April 3, 2007, 12:27 PM
I checked my book and couldn't find a Model 1500. The highest I would bid on this gun would be $100.00. There is a Mossberg made pump I referenced made for Monkey Ward. You can buy a new Maverick that is basically the same gun for $160.00 new. I wouldn't bother with this auction unless you actually know what you are bidding on. You may be bidding on a mutt.

Northern Sod Breaker
April 3, 2007, 07:26 PM
The gun does not need to be practical. I have a 12 guage pump to take care of any predator (both four legged and the two legged kind) and to bust clays with. I seen one of these .410 bolt actions before and thought it was a neat little gun. Unfortunately I did not have the cash on me then

FirstFreedom
April 4, 2007, 07:08 PM
Are you SURE it's a 1500? Because I don't see a 1500 on the crossover table... Western Fields were Monkey Ward's trade name...most were made by Mossberg, but a few by Savage, Marlin, & others. In any event, being a store brand/economy gun, I doubt that it's worth more than $150-$200, best case scenario (best for the buyer). Yeah, I wouldn't pay more than about $100 or so for it.

rem33
April 4, 2007, 07:40 PM
I have a Western Field 20 guage V/R with a adjustable choke, a older walnut stocked one. I wouldn't take $1000 for it:p It is nothing special but it was my grandfathers about Priceless to me.

ebutler462
April 5, 2007, 09:32 AM
Great for you! Keep grandpa's old gun. I admire you for that. I have my mother's old single barrel Palmetto single barrel. It rattles like castanet and has a modified nail for a firing pin. She bought it during the Great Depression about the time I was born for $1.00 from a neighbor short of cash. It kicks like the devil and scatters shot like a weekend drunk scatters his hard earned pay. It is really worthless but it has a home as long as I live and my son has a spot in his safe for it when I cash in my chips.

Like yours, many of these Monkey Ward guns were made by reputable companies with quality control that does not exist today. I have several old guns that Sears sold to me in my prime and I have never had a problem with one of them. I have bought name brand guns made within the recent past that had to be QC'd by me and adjusted, sent back for repairs, etc. Ask any old timer about the older guns. When you opened the box, it was ready for a lifetime of shooting. Today everything is massed produced by machine with as many stamped parts as possible and with almost no inspection. Today you buy a gun and have to clean out the excess shavings, grease, and tighten the screws the factory didn't tighten and hope for the best. Check out the various forums about the problems found in new guns. It is almost like the lottery. Put your money down and pull the handle. Chances are that they forget something.