PDA

View Full Version : Best carbon remouval product & method?

elmerdeer
April 1, 2007, 06:48 PM
What is the best way to remouve carbon from a barrel with a product that works? Because I can be putting patches down the barrel forever it seems, just cant seem to remouve the carbon, so what do you guys do?
Thanks
Elmer

W.E.G.
April 1, 2007, 07:01 PM
My first response to your question would be to ask a question.

How clean do you think you NEED to get that barrel?

Many good barrels have been ruined by people trying to get them squeaky clean.

Let me suggest this:
Run a few strokes (3-5) of a bronze brush through your bore after firing. This will dislodge any loose fouling. Then run a few patches (not too tight) through the bore. The purpose of the patches is to swab-out any debris loosened by the brush and to distribute a non-caustic rust-preventative agent on the metal.

Then clean the rest of the gun thoroughly in order to be certain that no surfaces are left without a proper rust-preventative coating.

That's all you need to do.

Many good rifle barrels have been damaged by overzealous owners engaging in overzealous cleaning rituals.

Moreover, if you can demonstrate any significant improvement in the accuracy of your rifle by employing a more elaborate cleaning method than I have just described, you are a more skilled shooter than 99.5% of the people who will read these words.

You do NOT need to remove every trace of carbon and copper from a rifle barrel. Just use reasonable diligence, and be absolutely certain you never allow to rust.

Trapper L
April 1, 2007, 07:22 PM
You can scrub with Hoppes or any of the gun solvents til your arms fall off and still get black patches. I use BrakeKleen. Point the muzzle down outside, give it a good spray. Go inside, dip a brush in Hoppes and give it ten strokes. Run a wet patch down it and it usually comes out like it went in. BrakeKleen also works great for turning lead loose from a barrel. The instant cold makes it get hard and a tight dry patch down the barrel will have it falling out the end. I've used it for years on my benchguns. I got tired of the hours of scrubbing and heard about it on another forum. I will never spend hours cleaning again.

sneaky pete
April 2, 2007, 08:35 AM
The two products I like to use on both my newer rifles and my old 6.5x55 m-41/B Swedish sniper are Kano Kroil which is a penetrating cleaner and Sharp-Shoot-R-Wipe-Out brushless foaming cleaning solvent, just spray in the bore -it foams up-, let it set over night and then run dry patches and it removes both jacket material and powder/carbon fouling. Try it, you'll like it. THANX--SNEAKY

stevelyn
April 3, 2007, 01:56 AM
MPro-7.:cool:

john in jax
April 3, 2007, 08:43 AM
Hoppe's #9 powder solvent for carbon, powder residue, etc... applied generously and scrubed liberally with a nylon type brush.

Hoppe's Bench Rest for copper

oldbillthundercheif
April 3, 2007, 01:27 PM
Hoppes #9 is always good, but I really like the Breakfree Non-Toxic Foaming Bore-Cleaner I tried a while back.

Even the nastiest copper and carbon won't stand up to 15min of the foam, 10 or so brush passes, and a few patches soaked in CLP.

Dave R
April 3, 2007, 09:41 PM
Three words:

Foaming

Bore

Cleaner.

Just the thing for lazy folk like me who like clean bores, but don't like scrubbing.

Brad Clodfelter
April 3, 2007, 10:20 PM
I'll let you guys in on a formula I use on centerfires and rimfires. I haven't found a better way to get a barrel clean yet.

Butch's Bore Shine mixed 50/50 with Kroil.

I'm going to try the Bore Tech Eliminator solvent soon mixed with Kroil. I have heard great things about the Bore Tech solvents.

The Kroil works wonders. That stuff used by itself will flat out amaze you.

Use this formula with your favorite rod and brush and see for yourself.

Brad