PDA

View Full Version : Advice Needed for AR Build

WhyteP38
March 29, 2007, 07:12 PM
I posted this question on another forum but received no answers. Basically, I'd like to get some opinons on the quality of the parts I'm thinking about using.

I have two ARs and have decided it's time to build my own. What I plan to build is a general purpose 16" AR in 5.56 with good parts but nothing fancy. Because this entire build will take at least a year to complete (time and money constraints), I've decided to start slowly and begin with the lower. Here's what I'm considering and would appreciate any feedback on my choices:

Stripped lower - either LCW or Stag (not sure which of these two are considered better than the other, or whether there's something better for about the same $$)

LPK - again, either LCW or Stag (not sure which of these two are considered better than the other, or whether there's something better for about the same $$)

Collapsable 6-position M4-type buttstock - Stag (because I've read that Stag stocks follow mil spec)
Like I said, nothing fancy; that's not my style. I just like good, solid products that consistently do what they are supposed to do and do it well.

Thanks in advance.

DnPRK
March 29, 2007, 10:31 PM
LCW receivers are made by Lewis Machine Tool.
Stag receivers are made by Continental Machine Tool.

Both provide components to the Pentagon. Both have excellent reputations. I would not hesitate to get either one. Which is cheaper?

MMcfpd
March 29, 2007, 11:02 PM
Although I can claim no personal knowledge (although I did just buy a Stag lower receiver kit) Stag's catching a little QC flack lately:

http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=118&t=321886

WhyteP38
March 30, 2007, 05:48 AM
Although I can claim no personal knowledge (although I did just buy a Stag lower receiver kit) Stag's catching a little QC flack latelyInteresting. Stag seems to be having issues with their uppers but not with their lowers. So if I go with a Stag lower, I'll probably need to go with a different upper.

Mike40-11
March 30, 2007, 04:12 PM
AAAAAARRRRRRRGGGGGHHHHHHH! :eek: NOW I hear this about Stag. I just ordered a 4L a couple hours ago....

Well, here's hoping I get a good one (crossing fingers)............

45reloader
March 30, 2007, 05:03 PM
My Stag is fine I just built

Double star makes a nice Stripped Lower.

Call Del-Ton and ask if they are still in stock.Much better then a superior and is really the same thing.