PDA

View Full Version : FTFs have me concerned...

ZBoater
March 26, 2007, 04:40 PM
Yesterday I went to the range with my Tomcat 32, my PPK/S and my Walther P99C. I've had these weapons for a while, and although I don't shoot them as often as I'd like, they have at least 100-150 rounds through each.

All three weapons experienced a failure to feed. A round would stovepipe causing a jam. On the P99C it happened once in 50 rounds. On the PPK/S and Tomcat, it happened several times in 50 rounds each. This had never happened to me before.

What could be causing this? If it were only one of them, I could understand, maybe. But all three???? Limp wristing perhaps? Could I be doing something cleaning/lubing that causes this? I typically use Gun Scrubber spray, I pass a pad soaked in powder solven through the barrel, and I have a oil spray I use and then I wipe the weapons on the outside with a microfiber towel. Could it be storage? I have a gun-safe inside the house under A/C 24/7. Humidity? I use different types of ammo (Winchester, Magtech, Corbon, Federal), although I really didn't track which ones jammed. I have been using that same ammo since I got the guns new and this had never happened to me.

I am very concerned as these are the guns I constantly carry, and although I hope I never have to, having one jam when I need to use it would be most... inconvenient. :rolleyes: Ideas?

JJE
March 26, 2007, 05:16 PM
Sounds like they are feeding OK, just not completing the extraction. Grip problems are probably the usual suspect, but if you clean/lube them all the same way, could you be gumming up the extractors somehow?

Dreadnought
March 26, 2007, 05:26 PM
Berettas like to be run on the "wet" side of properly lubed. Not dripping, mind you, but enough to be seen on the rails when you pull off the slide.

michael t
March 26, 2007, 06:42 PM
Make sure the recoil spring on PPK is installed right way. Tight end down barrel.
I really think operator is some of the problem. All 3 acted up same time All 3 being shot by same person.

ColtEd
March 26, 2007, 06:51 PM
First off, get back to the range and run at least 500 down the pipe of each one. Clean and lube properly and fire off another 50. I'll bet you wont have any hiccups or burps to concern yourself with.

Second of all, do NOT CCW any of those weapons untill FTF's are but a distant memory. Carry something you are 100% sure of and can fire effectively

Thirdly, buy a Colt.....:rolleyes:

ZBoater
March 26, 2007, 08:03 PM
Make sure the recoil spring on PPK is installed right way. Tight end down barrel.
I really think operator is some of the problem. All 3 acted up same time All 3 being shot by same person.

Thanks for the tip. I need to figure out if it was something I was doing (so I don't do it again :rolleyes: ) I made sure my grip was firm and I wasn't limp-wristing, so I don't know what else I could have done.

Hotdog1911
March 27, 2007, 06:55 PM
3 quality manufactures-all with the same problem.....same shooter....same ammo....quality ammo....same maintenance person....

I'd say give the same equipment & same ammo to another shooter, someone with 'manly' strength in his forearms & wrists, good looking & rich & famous, like me, ha ha, and see if the problems still exist.

TexasCop
March 27, 2007, 07:26 PM
the most common reason for stovepipes is not enough grip strength to allow the recoil to work.

Try again but really grip the gun and work on keeping your wrist tighter...

ZBoater
March 27, 2007, 07:51 PM
Thanks for the tips. On the limp wristing, I assume it is possible to be reasonably accurate and still limp wrist, correct?