PDA

View Full Version : Wanting some new 1911 grips...but not wood

parrothead2581
March 25, 2007, 01:09 PM
I'm looking for a new set of 1911 grips for a black Kimber. I have wood sets and Hogue rubber, but they just "don't do it for me" as far as carry goes. I've looked at Alumagrips and VZ Grips and like the looks of both. I would prefer a color other than black, purely for aesthetics.
Any recommendations?

RsqVet
March 25, 2007, 01:37 PM
I think you can not go wrong with alumagrips... they have a website and about 3 color options and many pattern options. You can also get them in "ultra" thin which I plan to try. They are by far the grippiest grips I have used, though you can also get them in all smooth and also very easy to clean. Dave Lack on his website also pointed out that they would also be safer if you ever had a case head failure or other such issue as they would not splinter / shatter like wood or some other materials.

If you know anyone who does anodizing of their products you might be able to get them custom colored as well, typically an anodizer charges so much for a batch, so you can throw in extra stuff when you send a batch out. I got some stuff done this way years ago at a place that I worked. Or you could coat them with somethign like dura-coat in a bunch of diffirent colors. Or Chrome them? Caspian makes damascus steel grips but they are 300 a pair!!!

I used to have VZ grips on my compact 1911 but they are not wearing well, they kind of accumulate crud and get discolored easily when the gun is cleaned. Whatever polymer is in the material the grip is made out of is soluble in gun cleaning solvent because the back of the grips have areas where you can clearly see this washing away. This makes me worry about other grips made from micarta as well so I personally stay away from them though they are a good product, certainly more durable than wood which would not last a month in my hands.

Don't know if this will matter to you, some woudl say I am abusive of my grips in cleaning but the 1911 is a workign gun and gets shot offten, cleaned agressivly and I'm not pulling grips off everytime to clean it. I have revolvers I do that with but they are shot less frequenlty and can go awhile between cleanings.

The other grips I have wanted to see in person before trying them are the carbon creations grips -- molded carbon fiber with checkering, they look good in pictures but I want to see them up close.

tegemu
March 25, 2007, 02:45 PM
Check with www.gungrips.net . They have several different kinds of grips and will engrave them for you.

parrothead2581
March 25, 2007, 03:02 PM
RSQvet, thanks for the info. I agree with you about taking off the grips every time. I have a set of Kim Ahrends cocobolo tactical cut wood grips. They look great, and I love the cut, but I worry about them wearing and being damaged from solvents. I'm getting too lazy to take them off every time I clean them. I like the looks of the alumagrips in the tactical cut.

I wonder how the olive grey looks on a black pistol?

Thanks for the link tegemu

JoeHatley
March 25, 2007, 03:12 PM
AlumaGrips come in 3 colors. I think the "clear" would look great on a black frame.

The custom logos from your artwork is a nice touch they offer.

http://www.iowatelecom.net/~hatley/alumagrips_r.jpg

Good Luck...

Joe

DonR101395
March 25, 2007, 03:23 PM
I've got a set of VZ 320 grips black and green linen on my commander. They are functional, look terrific and the customer service was excellent. They are winners in my book.

Tom2
March 25, 2007, 03:49 PM
How about some of that pseudo ivory for a real contrast? And they are easy to have a custom engraved or scrimshawed design put on for a personal touch.

parrothead2581
March 25, 2007, 07:34 PM
I like that idea Tom2...I'll look into some of those.

What about the "ergo grips" by Falcon Industries? Anyone care to opine on these?

Extremist
March 25, 2007, 09:31 PM
I am a real big fan of the Carbon Creations Grips:

http://www.lenaburgs.net/images/SmithWesson/SW1911_Grips_6s.jpg

James

BillCA
March 26, 2007, 02:36 AM
+1 for Alumagrips and adding your own custom logo via GunGrips.net.

http://dragon.hematite.com/SpringChampRed1sm.jpg

parrothead2581
March 26, 2007, 12:37 PM
I really do like the idea of the Alumagrips with the logo, however I am apprehensive because of this. The images or symbols I would like to have could all be construed in the courtroom as to make me look "guilty, guilty, guilty!" I would like a wolf footprint on both sides or the pirate flag of Endward Englad, Henry Every, or John Rachham on one side and their corresponding initials and DOB-DOD on the other side. I would mind blck grips with that on them. I'm sure a suave prosecutor would make me look like an aggressive savage, but I truly just enjoy the nautical history!

I've thought about using the "diver down" flag to be simple and safe.

Any thoughts?

spacemanspiff
March 26, 2007, 01:02 PM
carbon fiber grips rule!