PDA

View Full Version : New summer carry gun / Elusive .380 NAA Guardian

Playboypenguin
March 21, 2007, 07:58 PM
I have been in the market for a new gun for summer carry. I looked high and low. I even considered getting a Kel-Tec. I really wanted a .380 NAA Guardian but they were impossible to find. I just felt it was the perfect balance between tiny but substantial enough to feel solid and with enough punch to be worth carrying.

As many know, the .380 Guardian is pretty much a Kahr firearm. Kahr makes both the slide and the frame. Several months ago Kahr notified NAA that they would not longer be supplying them with the .380 Gaurdian. This caused a complete stop on production on this model. Distributers and dealers have pretty much dried up since then. The only one I even see on Gunbroker.com is the same one being listed again and again for about $100 over retail price.

Well, my dealer finally came through for me and found me one. It was the last one around. We called every NAA distributor on the west and east coast and everywhere in between. It had been on hold for several months and noone had ever bothered to cancel it when it did not get ordered. Luckily for me it got lost in the shuffle until the guy remembered it today and went and looked.

Brought it home today. I cannot wait to shoot it tomorrow. I am also going to call NAA and order a set of faux pearl grips to pimp this little baby out. I will post another pic of it later with it's proper grips.

Here is a pic of it and a pic of the KAHR logo that is stamped on the frame. I guess since NAA will be making the guns in-house now the Kahr logo will no longer be present once the new ones start rolling out.

http://www.thefiringline.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=23506&stc=1&d=1174525001

http://www.thefiringline.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=23505&stc=1&d=1174525003

rantingredneck
March 21, 2007, 08:06 PM
I have the same gun in .32NAA. You won't be disappointed. Trigger may be heavier than some comparable pistols, but I like it a lot. I'd like to have one in .380 too, but like you I have found them elusive.

EDIT: If you don't have one yet, palehorseholsters has pocket leather for them. I just ordered one of their entry level "cookie" holsters for mine for $18.00 incl shipping last week.

NCHornet
March 22, 2007, 07:19 AM
Glad you found one. Hope you like it as much as I like my 32ACP. I considered the .380 but preffered the smaller size of the 32 over the slight increase in ballistics and extra size and weight. I suggest having the gutter sniping done to the slide, you won't be sorry. I also found k&d to have some nice leather for it. Just beware of dealing with Palehorse on the Ron Graham holsters.
Give us a range report, TJ can lighten up the trigger on it if you decide it is to heavy.

Playboypenguin
March 22, 2007, 02:48 PM
I considered the .380 but preffered the smaller size of the 32 over the slight increase in ballistics and extra size and weight
I would have also gone for the .32 version of the Guardian if I did not already have a .32acp Seecamp. I thought two small .32 pistols was abit redundant.

NCHornet
March 22, 2007, 05:49 PM
You have a nice collection of pocket guns started!!:D

Playboypenguin
March 22, 2007, 09:02 PM
You have a nice collection of pocket guns started!!
For some odd reason I tend to go back and forth. This time I will want a big booming .44mag...the next time I will want a cute little .32acp...then another big bore...then another little one. It is like I am alternately worried about being attacked by mice then moose. Hence the moosegun then the mouse gun. :)

DarthTedd
March 23, 2007, 01:21 AM
That's awesome PBP!

RsqVet
March 23, 2007, 01:22 AM
Why not go with a 380 seecamp? Best of both worlds?

Am somewhat kidding, I know how they cost and frankly my 32 seecamp is enought of a handful.

DarthTedd
March 23, 2007, 01:38 AM
Why not go with a 380 seecamp? Best of both worlds?

He already has one. :P

Playboypenguin
March 23, 2007, 01:41 AM
He already has one. :P
I wish...I am on the waiting list at my dealer. The guy that is on the list right in front of me has been waiting for 11 months so far. :(

DarthTedd
March 23, 2007, 01:46 AM
I thought you had a SeaCamp?

Playboypenguin
March 23, 2007, 01:57 AM
I thought you had a SeaCamp?
Just the .32 version...not the .380 one.

DarthTedd
March 23, 2007, 02:00 AM
Ahh, that's right.

Playboypenguin
March 23, 2007, 05:31 PM
I do hope to have the guardian .380 sometime and will keep my name on the list. Even though I have the .380 Guardian I would prefer the smaller .380 Seecamp.

Anyone have experience with the Seecamp .380 pistols?

Playboypenguin
March 23, 2007, 06:50 PM
The Guardian feels better to me because of the added size and weight but it really cannot compare to the Seecamp in concealment. The Seecamp is much smaller.

http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r89/PlayboyPenguin/Misc/comparison.jpg?t=1174693745

Sharp Phil
March 23, 2007, 06:54 PM
I'm evaluating the .25 NAA and .32 NAA models for an article I'm working on. I don't normally go in for new calibers, being somewhat superstitious, but these little guns have won me over. They're great pocket pieces. The .25 has to be kept really clean and well-lubed to keep the little bottleneck cartridges from getting stuck in there, but as it's not the sort of gun you shoot a lot, it's a simple matter to clean it, lube it, and then carry it, taking the time to blow out the pocket lint and relube every week (in my case -- I'm anal).

I am a huge fan of North American Arms. Even when I have a larger gun, I always carry one of my little NAAs, quite often my .22 Mini Revolver. The .32 NAA offers the punch of my .380 Bersa (and then some, depending on who you ask) in a smaller package.

Playboypenguin
March 23, 2007, 07:11 PM
That .32NAA round is awesome.

I would like to say the only reason I did not choose it over the .380 is the lack of availability of ammo sources. In reality though it is because NAA does not recommend putting pearl grips on the .32 NAA pistol. :o

rantingredneck
March 23, 2007, 08:04 PM
Just beware of dealing with Palehorse on the Ron Graham holsters.

Well NCHornet I have to say my experience was much different from yours regarding palehorseholsters. I ordered mine on March 16th and it was waiting for me in my mailbox this evening when I got home from work. Fit and finish are excellent. It's even embossed with the North American Arms logo. I couldn't be more pleased. For 18.00 shipped it just can't be beat. I'll snap some pics later and post them.

And I love the .32NAA round too. I've got a local shop here that carries the ammo every now and then. Even when they don't they'll order as much or as little as I want whenever I want it. I keep a minimum three or four boxes on hand and have them order me a couple when I run low. Usually takes about 4 days from when I place my order to when I get a phone call saying it's in.

The only thing I regret about the .32NAA is that they won't guttersnipe it. :(

rantingredneck
March 23, 2007, 10:11 PM
http://www.rantingredneck.com/evolution/media/NAA embossed logo.JPG

http://www.rantingredneck.com/evolution/media/NAA in holster.JPG

http://www.rantingredneck.com/evolution/media/NAA in holster2.JPG