PDA

View Full Version : limbsaver grind to fit advice

handwerk
March 14, 2007, 03:41 PM
I'm soon to fit a new "grind to fit" limsaver pad on my mcmillan synthetic stock any advice or things to watch out for?

rem33
March 14, 2007, 04:09 PM
Put tape on your stock next to the pad to help in case you get to close grinding. I have done other brands but not a limbsaver.

Eghad
March 14, 2007, 05:00 PM
If you have never done it take it to a competent gunsmith...it costs a few bucks but you will be glad you did.

Tbag
March 14, 2007, 05:31 PM
Tape it up and most of all take your time and go slow, did a 742 Rem. a couple of years ago came out nice,

George R
March 14, 2007, 07:25 PM
You have to have nerves of steel to do it on the stock. :) I'd really recommend you get a recoil pad jig- ebay or Brownell's. You can always resell it if you're only doing one pad.

bswiv
March 14, 2007, 07:32 PM
If you don't have the equipment they say you need then DON'T do it......!!!!

The one I did looks like *&%#, even though it works. I did not have the right tools and I wish I had not done it myself..............

But then I've a house full of stuff like that. Some of us never learn.

inkie
March 14, 2007, 08:05 PM
I agree, if you don't have the pad jigs and equipment don't do it! Take this advice from someone who learned the hardway. If you are going to do one pad its cheaper to pay some one than buy the equipment.

Clemson
March 15, 2007, 10:15 AM
You can do it yourself. Just take these guys' advice and buy a jig. While I have not done a Limbsaver, I have done several Pachmayrs, and they turned out OK. Here is a link to a tutorial that I did a year or so back:
http://www.shotgunworld.com/bbs/viewtopic.php?t=51705&highlight=

Good luck!

Clemson

moredes15
March 16, 2007, 09:18 AM
BSWIV: The one I did looks like *&%#, even though it works. I did not have the right tools and I wish I had not done it myself..............

But then I've a house full of stuff like that. Some of us never learn.

Papa..izzat you?? we learn by example... :D :D :D

Wingnut47
March 23, 2007, 01:11 PM
I have installed many of these pads. Do not try to sand it while installed. Install the pad, scribe a line on the pad base around the stock, remove the pad and sand to the line. Sand away from the plastic base, do not have it on the bottom or your finish will be very rough and your sander may try to grab it. If you are using wet/dry sanding belts then try to lubricate it with WD-40 while sanding. You can finish off the pad with 0000 steel wool. It will be difficult to do a good job without a holding jig but it can be done. Good luck.