PDA

View Full Version : 375 ruger from 7mm mag

rem33
March 12, 2007, 11:18 PM
Will the magazine of a 7MM Mag work for the 375 Ruger.
OACL of the 375 is 2.568, 7MAg is 2.500
Rim diameter of the 375 is 5.32 same as the 7 MM
Base of the cases are the same also.
Case diameter at the shoulder of the 375 is .510 the 7 mag is .490

I haven't been able to find OAL of the loaded 375 Ruger cartridge. From what I have read it will fit a '06 sized action so surely it will fit the 7mm mag for OAL.

I know we have some very knowledgeable guys here. With the dimensions given can you for see any problems rebarreling a 7mm mag to 375 Ruger?
Perhaps the follower or lips on the magazine or?

Would this be just a rebarrel or am I in left field here? Is more information needed?

Always wanted a 375 H&H, I don't need one so have never bought one, just one of those things I have wanted since I was a kid reading about hunting dangerous game. Unless I hit the lotto I will never go to Africa, to but whats that really have to do with me wanting a 375 now???

Thanks in advance

James K
March 13, 2007, 03:57 PM
I am not yet familiar with the .375 Ruger, but my books show the OACL of the 7mm Remington Magnum as 3.290". The 2.50" is the case length. Whether the .375 will fit in the magazine probably will depend on the bullet(s) used and the seating depth.

Otherwise, I see no reason why a rebarrelling would not work OK. One area of concern might be the stock. The .375 H&H and derivatives have a lot more recoil than the 7mm and are a lot harder on rifle stocks. Most rifles in that caliber have beefed up recoil lugs or have crossbolts to support the action.

Jim

rem33
March 13, 2007, 04:11 PM
One area of concern might be the stock. The .375 H&H and derivatives have a lot more recoil than the 7mm and are a lot harder on rifle stocks. Most rifles in that caliber have beefed up recoil lugs or have crossbolts to support the action

I had not considered the stock except barrel channel thanks.

I have a couple of BDL LH stocks, if and when I get a chance to do this could a BDL stock be strengthened properly? with a larger lug when rebarreled and/or crossbolt? I was hoping to refinish and use one of these, new end cap, butt cap, and recoil pad.
After just a quick check looks like I am dealing with at least 75% more recoil.

The 2.50" is the case length.
I meant OACL as over all case length, just the empty case my mistake.
2.568 is the case length of the 375 Ruger, so far I haven't see overall 375 cartridge length but have read they will fit a700, 30-06 size action, with a slight increase in case capacity over the 375 H&H.
I believe this is what will make this gun a seller is the cartridge length. 375 H&H power in a 30-06 sized action. Kinda like the new WSM's, short with power.