PDA

View Full Version : My Glock...Ugly?!?

FS2K
March 3, 2007, 06:29 AM
You betcha. I'm not one of those people with that "Beauty is in the eye of the beholder" attitude when it comes to my Glocks. Not that beauty is an issue when it comes to these weapons. In my eyes they are tools in the purest sense of the word, and as tools they truly are a superb example of function before form. Simplicity.

Reliability.

Of course this attitude wasn't always so. There was a time when I seriously regretted getting a Glock as my first new handgun. At the time capacity was the name of the game for me. Immature? Absolutely. But that was THE reason that I bought my G17 all those years ago. At the time it was one of the highest capacity 9mm handguns available to me. It was only after getting the weapon that things like the lack of an external safety really bothered me. I wasn't what you would call a well educated buyer. As a safety concious (scared) new owner I was suddenly faced with the dilema of owning a gun that I was afraid to have a live round in the chamber for carry. That's a big deal. My very first handgun was a Taurus PT380 and it unlike the Glock it had a external safety and I had gotten used to having that safety as an option. Granted I didn't carry the gun in condition one (cocked & locked) but I was able to keep a live round in the chamber with tha hammer down and the safety on. Being a double action all it would take is a flip of the switch and I was ready to go. I didn't take the time to study up on or understand the "Glock Safe Action" system so having the Glock became a Love/Hate situation. Things remained that way till I did read up on the Glocks safeties and became familiar with the gun, learning a very very important lesson about becoming familiar with your own weapon....intimately. It took a little getting used to, but I overcame my phobia of "Glocko-lack-o-safety-lightous". I actually got to like the fact that my G was ready for action at all times.

One of the things that woke me up to this was the realization that revolvers were the same way, and people have been toting those things around for years. But alas...in the end my appreciation for my Glock did not change the fact that she's ugly. Heeheehee.

Glocks are about function. Their style (or the lack of it) has been a key arguing point for the Glock-Hater crowd which is something that I have always found to be silly. It's not as though I am saying that style doesn't have a place in firearms, of course it does. I happen to to think the 1911 is a beautiful weapon. It's just that when it comes to the job of protecting myself and my loved ones the last of my worries is how the tool that I choose to use looks. The odd thing about this is when it comes to quick deployment, unobstructed operation and reliable function, the most plain, featureless and simple designs can become things of pure BEAUTY.

Blockish Slides, plastic parts and all....:)

fattsgalore
March 3, 2007, 07:52 AM
I was in the same boat after purchasing my G23. I'll alomst never be confident with a round in the chamber, it truly scares me. My hand has fallen into the trigger guard many a time just picking it up and moving it around.
But I'm more confident in it's function then any pistol I've owned or any other manufacturer, so it's not all bad. With that said I'm no glockaholic or glockaphile. I hate the grip; trigger; and sights. I think I need a full size Glock.

katana8869
March 3, 2007, 09:21 AM
I have been carrying Glocks since 1994 and I always carry a round in the chamber. I have never had an ND or AD. My first carry gun was a Ruger SP101, then a 1911 .45. After going "cocked and locked" with a 1911, I didn't have too much trouble with getting used to carrying a loaded Glock.

I suggest that anyone who thinks Glocks aren't safe try carrying one for a couple of weeks with the trigger set over an empty chamber and count the times that they find the trigger pulled to the rear at the end of the day. You will soon see that in a good holster a Glock is totally safe.

Avoid carrying chambered in any fashion where the gun is not holstered, (ESP. "Mexican" carry! :eek: )

I have done the following activites while carrying a chambered Glock: Fishing, horseback riding, hiking, kayaking, bicycling, motorcycling, jogging, yardwork, mowing, throwing hay, martial arts practice, and the list goes on. Never an issue.

As to ugly, yeah they're ugly. Mine have been known to produce some pretty results though.

http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f201/katana8869/g30a.jpg

FS2K
March 3, 2007, 09:46 AM
Sweet......

Te Anau
March 3, 2007, 09:48 AM
Glocks are hideous and functionality still wasnt enough to get me to keep mine.Im glad its gone.

FS2K
March 3, 2007, 09:58 AM
Glocks are hideous and functionality still wasnt enough to get me to keep
Fashion Monger.....

Nah Te Anau! I'm JUST KIDDING!!!!LOL!I just thought I'd throw that in there...:)

Lemme guess...uh....ummm....I know. You like shiny stainless Beretta's am I right? Heehee. Have a great weekend Buddy!

croyance
March 3, 2007, 09:49 PM
I believe the S&W 39 family has a complex trigger mechanism, but the gun has a good reputation for reliability. It is not only simplicity that contributes to reliablity, but good quality control and robustness.

Fremmer
March 3, 2007, 09:53 PM
If it shoots and you like it, good on ya. :D

NWCP
March 4, 2007, 01:50 AM
While the appearance of a Glock does nothing for me it's the grip that kept me from getting into the Glock love fest. They just don't feel right in my hand. I shoot HKs so polymer frames aren't an issue, it's all in the grip. The most rational statement I've read in a while was by FS2K "In my eyes they are tools...". That's right on the money. A firearm is a tool and functionality is of prime concern. Only some tools, while truly functional, are nice to look at as well. The Glock isn't one of them.

Pistolman1974
March 4, 2007, 02:27 AM
Actually, I don't think Glocks are ugly. They are not as elegant as a 1911 but they are certainly not ugly.

FS2K
March 4, 2007, 02:48 AM
Some people just can't shoot Glocks well. I am a firm believer in this, and I have seen it for myself with one of my friends in particular. Nothing wrong with it...if you can't you can't. And it isn't a matter of practice either. I have seen 2 people (my buddy included) that have really tried to 'learn' how to shoot a Glock and just can't seem to do it. My friend doesn't even make it to the target, he is conistantly LOW and sometimes just ends up digging holes in front of the target. No exaggeration either. It's like:

BANG! (with a questioning look)

"Low"

BANG! (again with the look)

"Still Low."

BANG! BANG!

"Ok, the second shot hit the bottom of the target. Are you aiming?!?"

BANG!...."DAMMIT!"

"Just give up man. No matter how many times we do this you never shoot that thing right. I don't know what makes you think this time around is any different."

" *%$^^*(&^%$%^*$*&*!"

"Not my fault you have poor genes."

So yeah, the grip seems to be a problem for some, and a REAL problem for others. Me? I can shoot my G17 almost as good with my weak hand as my strong, single grip, two handed, doesn't matter. I am not boasting. I am just comfortable with Glocks. I may have been joking about genetics, but it just may be the reason why people like my friend can't shoot Glocks. When simply pointing a Glock the barrel is parallel to my forearm, as inline with it. When my friend points the Glock with a relaxed grip the barrel points down. Go figure...LOL!

Andrew LB
March 4, 2007, 05:08 AM
I don't consider them ugly either. I just didn't like the ergonomics of a glock as well as the lack of a grip safety.

Oh... and how glocks have chamber which is not fully supported on all sides.

I know that comment is an ongoing war around here, but after personally seeing a KB at San Gabriel Gun Club two benches down from me.... the sight of that kept me from ever buying a glock. And yes.... he was using high quality ammunition. Not re-loads or cheap stuff.

FS2K
March 4, 2007, 05:26 AM
Here's the thing. ALL guns have the potential of blowing up. That's not just a whimsicle statement. It's a fact.

Yes, Glocks blow up. And while I haven't seen any in real life, I have seen more than a couple of pictures of blown up Glocks. To be honest I haven't seen a 9mm Glock (G17, G19, G26, G34) blow up yet. (Heehee though I expect someone somewhere to post a pic of one now that I've said that!LOL!)
I've seen .40 SW Glock pictures of blow-ups. I've also seen SA XD photo's of blowups, and mangled 1911's too. It happens. I don't want it to happen to me, or anyone else for that matter, but I know it can happen. I don't think about it though. Not unless someone brings the subject up. It's just not a concern for MY Glock. I've cracked the recoil rod on mine, but that's about as close to a blowup that I've gotten, and I have shot reloads through mine. I suppose it's a concious choice that I choose not to worry about the things that could happen too much.

hammer365
March 4, 2007, 08:56 AM
Glock is all about simplicity. and it dose it very well i own a G23 and i love the fact that its a no frills no snag on clothing ready to go at any time gun. granted i LOVE my 1911s but it will be a gun that i will love for what it is (simple) and not for what and not because it aint (flashy).

revjen45
March 4, 2007, 03:33 PM
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, and people buy guns for different reasons. I like a gun I find aesthetic, but purty don't mean much if it don't work. Japanese motorcycles perform well and offer excellent reliability and longevity, but people still like Harleys. I think Glocks are as ugly as a bulldog's butt, but their fantastic success due to outstanding functionality means a lot more than whether I think they look good. I really like the looks of my Steyr S9- kinda like a Glock that wasn't beat with the ugly stick, but I'm sure some folks think it's ugly too. (By the way it functions flawlessly.) A gun is a tool. So is a shovel. How many people are concerned with how their shovel looks?

Erratic
March 4, 2007, 04:24 PM
I think glocks are hot. They just look so utilitarian. maybe I just like ugly things though. I think the H1 and Unimog are sexy but most people say they are ugly. Glocks are sexy in the same way a Unimog is sexy. They are plain and good at what they do.

falcondrvr43
March 4, 2007, 04:40 PM
A Glock is a defensive tool. Nothing more,nothing less. I would trust my life to my Glock 17. If you want a purdy gun, go buy a BHP or Colt python. I want a gun I don't have to fuss over. I don't care if my Glock gets banged up or worn looking. Don't get me wrong, I like lots of other gun types but I can beat the heck out of a Glock and it still does what it is supposed to. I can't afford fancy stuff at this point in my life anyway. My .02.

OBIWAN
March 4, 2007, 04:50 PM
Andrew...if you own a Sig you better sell it now...the last .40 cal pistol I saw self destruct was a Sig Pro:eek:

Any gun can "blow up"

For pure functionality nothing else I own comes close to my G17

FS2K
March 5, 2007, 02:27 AM
Has described weapons as "tools". You don't know how refreshing that is!!!!
Finally. I have finally found some sensible folk! Man, this website is GREAT!

I especially liked the " A gun is a tool. So is a shovel. How many people are concerned with how their shovel looks?" statement revjen45 made.

I couldn't agree with you more.

CajunBass
March 5, 2007, 03:28 AM
I don't find Glocks to be any "uglier" than most other modern, semi-auto pistols.

Sort of like new cars. They all look pretty much alike to me.

laytonj1
March 5, 2007, 03:41 AM
I believe the S&W 39 family has a complex trigger mechanism, but the gun has a good reputation for reliability. It is not only simplicity that contributes to reliablity, but good quality control and robustness.

Not really....you just squeeze it.
Jim