PDA

View Full Version : Best CCW Round for GLock 36 - .45ACP?

awpk03s
February 27, 2007, 11:06 PM
What does TFL think? I currently shoot 185gr Gold Dots in my HK USPC, and need to try a few different boxes in my Glock 36 to find the "right" load for my CCW mags. My options are:

185 gr. Speer Gold Dot
230 gr. Speer Gold Dot Short Bbl.

What will be better for penetration/expansion and low recoil? My thoughts are that the lighter 185 gr bullet would get more velocity in the shorter barrell, and have less recoil. But with the 230 gr being made for shorter guns - I don't know.

It's late, I'm bored, and while I will try shooting both of these for feel and accuracy, as I said - just interested in what kind of feedback everyone has.

Please don't suggest other brands/types of ammo, I've been sold on Gold Dot for a long time and am not about to change.

Rinspeed
February 28, 2007, 07:16 AM
just interested in what kind of feedback everyone has.

They're both just handgun rounds and will most likely work about half the time if you're lucky. I carry 230 gr most of the time but there's really not that much difference.

cocojo
February 28, 2007, 09:34 AM
Gold Dot Short barrel 230 HP's is what I carry and they shoot nice tight groups. My gun also likes Winchester 185 silvertips but I like heavy bullets over lighter ones for penetration. I was surprised that the recoil was not bad with the short barrel loads at all, over some other brands of the same weight.

JDG
March 1, 2007, 02:51 PM
All the local police carry Gold dots;)