PDA

View Full Version : source for 1903 springfield military style stocks

robsroost
February 24, 2007, 07:45 PM
howdy , i am seeking a source for 1903 springfield military style stocks either straight or pistol grip , does anyone know a source ??
many thanks

Abndoc
February 24, 2007, 08:53 PM
Try Boyds gunstocks.

Gewehr98
February 24, 2007, 08:56 PM
I used the latter source for a new, replacement C-Stock for my 1903A4 restoration. I've since learned that DuPage simply sells Boyd stocks as a middleman:

http://mauser98.com/03a4bench.jpg

el Divino
February 24, 2007, 11:54 PM
Gewerh98 very nice restoration, after seeing this one I'm regretful to custom my 1903, just recieve the 35 whelen barrel for it, it makes me think alot, would it worth it?

Smokey Joe
February 25, 2007, 12:55 AM
Robsroost and El Divino--Boyd's makes a variety of styles of stock for the '03 Springfield, including some sporter stocks and replacement military stocks of both the S and C varieties.

Gewehr 98--Bee-youtiful Springfield A4!

I did up a Yugo m-48 Mauser in a Boyd's stock; made it into a pseudo-scout rifle--it came out better than I felt I had any right to expect.

Get the unfinished (meaning not varnished) stock, glass bed it and varnish--or oil--finish it yrself. That way you can make any shape modifications you choose, and glass-bed, and THEN do the finishing. Sanding it really, really smooth is the secret. I used cheap hardware store satin spar varnish, about 7 coats, sanding between each coat. Frankly the sanding is the most tedious part of the whole job but as with any wood finishing project it must be done. Boyd's sells a finishing kit if you want to use their stuff.

As to restoration vs sporterizing (and I happen to think that .35 Whelen is a great choice, btw) you and only you can make that decision for yourself. It's YOUR rifle. But Boyd's can do the stock for you, for either way.

Their sales people on the 'phone are knowledgeable and patient. They'll send you a catalogue for the asking.

Contact: Boyd's Gunstock Industries, Inc. 25376 403rd Avenue, Mitchell, SD 57301. 'Phone, 605-996-5011. Fax, 605-996-9878. Website, www.boydsgunstocks.com

Gewehr98
February 25, 2007, 01:25 AM
Here's an idea. Restorations never garner the shekels that papered originals do, that's a cold hard fact.

My restoration above is worth only a fraction of what an original, papered 1903A4 sniper would bring. My saving grace is the offset serial number range on the receiver, which meant it started life as an honest-to-Gawd 1903A4 before somebody sawed it down into a Bubba truck gun. That's how I found it.

My restoration, complete with new March 1944 barrel, bolt, scope base, rings, scope, and repro stock is strictly for my own historical benefit. What you don't see in that picture is the free-floated barrel, glass-bedded action, Timney Sportsman trigger, and tight match chamber. They're hidden from plain view, but since I did the restoration and intended to shoot the darned thing, I figured I may as well have fun in the process. So it's a "sleeper" that puts 5 rounds into 3/4" at 100 yards.

What am I getting at? Restore your 1903, but put your .35 Whelen barrel on it, albeit contoured to look externally like a GI barrel. Hang the proper USGI stock and handguard on it, and mess with people's minds come range day when you stuff 5 each .35 Whelen rounds into the box magazine of your beautiful 1903 Springfield restoration!

I worked with an Israeli-marked M1 Garand for a while, it was chambered in 8mm Mauser. The looks people gave me at the range were priceless. :D

el Divino
February 25, 2007, 12:18 PM
Gewehr98, my 1903 is a number match in 80% condition it still has the cleaning kit in the butt stock, I haven't fire it in many years, your restoration idea is great..... just thinking in the restoratrion, a nice 35whelen with a nice fancy wood stock or a 35whelen with military looks.

I will work first with a Mauser 98k that was chambered in 8mm-06 I'm going to rebarreled to 9.3x62 and a 1891 Argentine Mauser that was sporterize many years ago in 7x57 that is going to be rebarreled in 257 Roberts, have some homework to do before deciding what will happen with my 1903.

Gbro
February 25, 2007, 02:30 PM
Check out this web site;
They are up in the Minnesota North land, I know Tim, He's a great guy.

http://www.northwoodgunstock.com/

SOSARMS
February 25, 2007, 02:36 PM
Have been quite successful in finding stocks on both Ebay and gun shows....lots of them. And a fair price too. Got a straight stock finger groove from one dealer and a hand guard from another.....grains and color matched nicely, for $100....feel really good about that. One on Ebay, nearly new for $86...FYI...

Abndoc
February 25, 2007, 05:59 PM
I too have a sporterized '03 and would dearly love to get it back into an original stock.

Does anybody have any idea who sells or makes repro stock hardware?

I know there are some on ebay, but I really don't like the whole ebay experience.

Smokey Joe
February 25, 2007, 07:50 PM
Abndoc--When it comes to any sort of parts for any sort of firearm, the go-to outfit is Numrich Arms, www.e-gunparts.com If Numrich doesn't have what you want there are several other old-parts dealers, but IMHO, Numrich is the ace of 'em all. I'd go there first for 1903 stock hardware.

Abndoc
February 26, 2007, 07:59 AM
Thanks Smokey Joe.

Though it is chambered for an improved .06, I think mine has an original barrel. There is a faint 43 stamped near the end that has been nearly polished out. Is this a date stamp for the barrel?

Gewehr98
February 26, 2007, 11:17 AM
There will be a MONTH-YEAR stamp, and just above it a flaming bomb mark.

My 1903A4 barrel above has "3-44" and the flaming bomb ordnance mark, all near where the front sight would mount.

Abndoc
February 26, 2007, 06:21 PM
My bad. It actually says 12 -42 below the ordnance bomb mark.

I also have an old Lyman Alaskan scope in 4x with a Bueller one piece mount to go with this rifle. While I don't think that it is a correct piece for an 03a4, it looks vintage enough that it won't stick out like a sore thumb.

Well, I'm off to Numrich and Boyds. I feel a project coming on.

FMB42
March 1, 2007, 02:05 PM
Andoc, some 1903A4 sniper rifles came with Lyman Alaskan scopes IIRC. Nice rifle none the less.

Abndoc
March 1, 2007, 07:42 PM
Well, I dug the scope out of storage, and what I thought was an Alaskan is an All American. I think I will still use it, at least initially.

Besides, as I am a former member of the 82nd Airborne, it feels right. :)

hpg
March 1, 2007, 07:43 PM
Have you looked on ebay?

Abndoc
March 1, 2007, 07:50 PM
Yeah, and when the time comes to change the scope, thats probably where
I will get it.

My order for stock parts has shipped. When it gets here, I will do an inventory because I suspect I may have missed a couple items.

The stock and handguards have been ordered from Boyds and will be here in about 8 to 12 weeks.

In the meantime, I will continue research into finishes, and prep the rest of the rifle for it's transformation.

Abndoc
March 1, 2007, 09:28 PM
It seems the more I think I know, the less I really know.

The serial number puts the date of manufacture at 1927, which I believe makes it a 1903. This pretty much assures that the barrel is a replacement.
I guess the milled trigger guard and floorplate should have been a clue.

The trigger is a M.H. Canjar and is very nice.