PDA

View Full Version : Question: Rolling block Receiver crack???

OneBarfly
February 22, 2007, 09:10 AM
Hello,

I recently picked up an antique Remington rolling block rifle. There appears to be a flaw in the casting or forging on the receiver. Perhaps the case-hardening cracked when heating or cooling one hundred and forty years ago?

I guess that I'm just looking for opinions as it concerns whether or not this is something to worry about. It almost looks like the hole was drilled after the mark appears? notice how the case-hardening colours flow around the flaw? I know these are just pictures, but what's your gut feeling?

Cheers & Best regards,

Richard

http://publish.hometown.aol.com/onebarfly/images/dsc01688.jpg
http://publish.hometown.aol.com/onebarfly/images/dsc01689.jpg

James K
February 22, 2007, 03:56 PM
It looks like that is a crack and goes all the way through. Also, FWIW, the coloring in the area is different from the rest of the receiver, leading me to think that the crack is an old one that someone tried to weld up and it re-cracked. You don't know what was done, how badly the receiver was weakened, or what may happen if the gun is fired. My strong recommendation is that the gun be retired to collector status.

That is my "gut feeling."

Jim

Ruger4570
February 23, 2007, 10:09 PM
I would agree, It will make a nice wall hanger. Some of these OLD guns in perfect shape let loose on occasion, I would be afraid to shoot one with an obvious defect like that.

OneBarfly
February 26, 2007, 08:36 AM
FYI- I cannot detect the crack either in the pin hole or on the other side of the forging. It has not been re-welded, which leaves me to believe that it was present right after case hardening and therefore was subequently passed QC by Remington. The pin hole appears to have been drilled right thru the crack. My thinking is that it's crack in the case hardening. I will take it to a Smith for a first hand review. Kind of hard to tell by only the pictures. I do appreciate your help!

brickeyee
February 26, 2007, 09:56 AM
At least have the receiver dye checked, and a magna-flux test would be better.

sanson
February 26, 2007, 10:11 AM
the pin hole drilling might have been an attempt to stop the crack from migrating any further.

James K
February 26, 2007, 02:27 PM
It is hard to really tell much without seeing the gun, but I can tell you this much - that crack was NOT there when Remington shipped the gun. Today, some factories have a "pass it on" attitude toward defects; that was definitely not true in those days, even on large military contracts. They made 'em right.

Jim

Ruger4570
February 26, 2007, 10:36 PM
It also looks from the picture, the crack is also on the right of the hole too, It might just be the pic, but it looks like a very short crack.

Harry Bonar
February 27, 2007, 05:09 PM
Dear Sir:
Send it down to Douglas bbls in Charleston WVa - they can magnaflux it.
Harry B. ---- It looks like a crack!