PDA

View Full Version : Adding weight to the barrel

drmiller100
February 18, 2007, 05:25 PM
Hi,
I bought a new Tikka T3 in '06 caliber.

She's a hunting gun, so I don't really care about scratching it up.

When I shoot it 20 or 50 times, it wallups me, and I'm a wimp. I put a limbsaver on it, which helps, and makes it just fine for hunting.

I would like to add about 5 pounds to the gun. It needs to be removable. I won't own a muzzle blaster, but I am willing ot thread the end of the barrel to add weight.

Thoughts?????

Big-Foot
February 18, 2007, 06:04 PM
Yeah I'll bet 20-50 rounds from a lightweight 06 will make an impact on your shoulder. Adding a weight to the barrel will effect POA so when you remove it for hunting it will be off.

Try any of these.

Take breaks.
Shoot less in a day.
Shoot from a different position.
Use a Past cushion.
Use a Lead Sled.
Drill some holes in the stock and/or forearm and install mercury tubes. Remove for hunting.
Install a bipod.

drmiller100
February 18, 2007, 06:10 PM
i don't care about moving zero when i remove the weight.

i had forgotten about the leadsleds. will these still teach good habits? can you use one while sitting or standing?

does a bipod reduce recoil?????

30Cal
February 18, 2007, 09:46 PM
If you shoot from sling supported positions, about half the recoil will be taken by the forward hand. That helps quite a bit. You could also route the stock and add stick-on wheel weights.

rem33
February 18, 2007, 09:53 PM
Whatever you decide to use, pads , leadsled etc. stop the recoil from hurting you. You can develop a flinch, which will be very detrimental to your accuracy.

onlybrowning
February 18, 2007, 10:13 PM
How about a pad that goes on your shoulder. You know the kind that straps to you, not on the gun? That would help some. I am thinking of ways to add weight easily, and I thought of the sticky wheel weights that are used on expensive car rims. They are square in shape, and if you put them on a strip, you could attach that to the forend of the gun.

Of course, you could also trade it for a 7mm-08 or somtehing else with a little less recoil than the 30-06.

ocharry
February 19, 2007, 12:15 PM
drmiller100,, cabela's has a gizmo called THE SHOOTERS FRIEND... it slips on the stock and it's made from sorbothane(i think that's how it's spelled),, it is amazing how much recoil it takes out,,, and when you are finished just slip it off.... they are kinda ugly but they work.... around $20 bucks my .02 YMMV;)

ocharry:D

tINY
February 19, 2007, 03:19 PM
Adding weight is good. Put it on the stock somewhere.

But you don't want to change the balance point or the handling too much.....

Maybe modify a magazine with lead shot?

-tINY

Scorch
February 19, 2007, 03:45 PM
Excuse me for being blunt, but if you bought a lightweight rifle for hunting, doesn't it make sense that it will wallop you? Any hunting caliber rifle will kick in extended shooting sessions. If you want a rifle for shooting 50 rounds at a time, buy a heavier rifle or a more manageable caliber. What you are essentially asking is "I bought a lightweight rifle because it was so light, now how do I make it heavier so it doesn't kick?"

Mercury recoil suppresssors add quite a bit of weight to the butt end of the rifle. As posted above, the mercury rides up the sloped surface, slowing the rifle and lengthening the moment. If mercury recoil suppressors are installed incorrectly, they will reduce recoil but exacerbate muzzle climb by providing a pivot point for the rifle to rotate around, or will have little discernible reducing effect on recoil.

Spring suppressors are a better bet for a lightweight rifle because they do not add a lot of weight, so they do not significantly alter the balance and handling characteristics of the rifle.

Do not buy into the suggestions that you can just add some lead to the buttstock to reduce recoil. This will have the same effect as installing a mercury recoil suppressor incorrectly. The weight all the way at the back of the rifle will simply provide a pivot point, and muzzle climb will be much worse. If you are going to add lead weights, add them either in the forearm area or around the magazine well, which is where the balance point of the rifle should remain.

The sorbothane recoil pad mentioned in another post is a very good idea, but the Limbsaver you already installed is essentially the same thing. It will reduce felt recoil a little, but not a lot.

trooper3385
February 19, 2007, 05:51 PM
I would suggest getting a lead sled for the range. That will reduce the recoil to next to nothing. For hunting, I would leave it the way that it is. I doubt you will be feeling much recoil while hunting. If you still have a problem with it, sell it and buy a heavier gun. Doesn't make much since to add 5 pounds to a 6 1/2 pound gun.

drmiller100
February 19, 2007, 09:10 PM
so no one makes a method to add 3 pounds to the end of my barrel????

why do I own a light rifle? becuase I like hunting wiht it.

regards,
doug

Jseime
February 20, 2007, 02:04 AM
Trust me you really dont want to do anything to your barrel. 20-50 rounds is really more than you need for a days shooting at the range. If you want more trigger time i would take a .22lr.

Shoot 5 rounds with the 06 then take a half hour with the .22 then back to the 06. youll be a better shot with more lead downrange and no recoil flinch or bad habits.

Try a recoil pad designed to go on your shoulder if you insist on shooting high volumes of 06.