PDA

View Full Version : Remington 700 action

trooper3385
February 15, 2007, 01:35 AM
Where would be a good place to find a Remington 700 action? I'm looking for one in a long action magnum. I'm looking into getting one for a rifle build project. I'm not completely decided yet on the action, but at this point, I'm leaning towards the Remington. Another action that I found that looks pretty good is one manufactured by Montana Rifles. It's based on a pre 64 model 70 action. Seems to be a combination of the pre 64 and post 64 action. If anyone knows anything about the Montana action, let me know. Also, if you had your pick of barrels, what would you go with and why?

Bigfatts
February 15, 2007, 01:42 AM
Have you tried Brownell's for the action? I would go Shilen or Shaw for the barrel myself.

454c
February 15, 2007, 02:30 AM
Most actions I've seen cost as much, if not more, than a complete rifle. Find a good deal on a complete rifle and sell off the parts you don't want.

trooper3385
February 15, 2007, 02:49 AM
I checked Brownells out and all they had were the short actions. I was leaning towards the Krieger or Shilen barrel but I've been hearing some good things about the Shaw barrels and there about half the price as the rest of them.

454c
February 15, 2007, 02:55 AM
Midway has the Rem. 700 LA Mag. action-$439.99

taylorce1
February 15, 2007, 07:46 AM
Find a used donor rifle in the bolt face you want. I know a pawn shop where there are a couple of old JC Higgins rifles in .270 and .30-06 on FN Actions you could get for around $200 each. I also know where you could get a FN Action for $450 that has already been blueprinted all it needs is a barrel, again standard bolt face. Model 700 rifles go for around $3-450 at the pawn shops around here after a little haggeling. I've also had good luck with miltary mauser actions like the VZ 24 for a platform for a custom rifle.

Scorch
February 15, 2007, 10:40 AM
Like several people her ehave said, Midway or Brownells for the action if you gotta have a new action, or buy a used 700 and strip it for the action. Krieger and Lilja have outstanding reputations, but Hart is also very good.

trooper3385
February 15, 2007, 11:21 AM
Taylorce, where would I find the FN action and do you have any idea what there asking your it? I thought about buying a used gun and taking the reciever off, but I think I'll stick with a new one since everything else is going to be new on it.

Charles S
February 15, 2007, 11:30 AM
I did not vote, because I am no longer in competitive circles and I don't know who is currently winning the most.

If you are not into competition purchase whatever barrel suits you fancy and is in your price range.

Because the truth of the matter is on a properly blue printed action and bolt even a Douglas air gauged match barrel is capable of better accuracy than I am.

I do think that Scorch is correct in his assessment, the best barrels on the market are probably:

Krieger and Lilja have outstanding reputations, but Hart is also very good.

Although one of the most accurate 1000 yard rifles I have ever seen was built on a Lothar Walther barrel.

taylorce1
February 15, 2007, 11:44 AM
trooper3385,
Sent you a PM with the info.

rem33
February 15, 2007, 02:26 PM
20 years ago I was fortunate to attend a class a dozen or so times full of old guys that were gun smiths. Some were serious hobbyists and others had worked at it professionally for decades. Most I am sure had forgot more about building rifles that I will ever know. I remember asking about barrels as I had bought a rifle and was going to re-barrel the action.
They all recommended Douglas being as good as you were going to be able to shoot. I had the opportunity to see many beautiful hand build rifles and they were nearly if not all using Douglas. Saying price was good and quality was excellent.

If it was me now, I think I would go with Shaw as I have heard they do good work reasonable and that is all they seem to do. Unless you have a local guy you now is very good.

Good luck and be sure and let us all know how it's coming along.

Daniel BOON
February 15, 2007, 04:17 PM
I have a 700 bdl that needs rebarreled, or re chambered, and I really don't want to bother with either; its an older rifle. nothing wrong with the action tho. if you think your interested, you can e-mail me at [email protected] and we'll go from there.

taylorce1
February 15, 2007, 04:58 PM
Because the truth of the matter is on a properly blue printed action and bolt even a Douglas air gauged match barrel is capable of better accuracy than I am.

I just wish this statment wasn't so true.

trooper3385
February 17, 2007, 02:30 PM
Alright, I think I have decided on a set up to go with. Let me know what you think and if you have any suggestions. I'm planning on going with the Remington 700 long action magnum in stainless. A Shaw barrel in stainless steel with a 2 1/2 barrel contour and have the barrel fluted by Shaw. Probably a 24 in barrel. I'm going to have them true the bolt face and lap the lugs. I'm just going to mail them the action when I get one and have them install the barrel and do the gunsmithing work for me. I've heard quite a bit of good things about Shaw barrels and after talking to them, they seem to be real helpful and pretty easy to work with. They will also be able to install the barrel and do all the gunsmithing work for me. I've decided to go with a 264 win mag in the caliber. While I've never had or shot a 264, it seems to be an excellent, flat shooting caliber. The only complaint that I've really heard about them is there lack of ammo and there hard on the barrel. I think with improvements in the quality of the barrels and slower burning powders, this won't be an issue. It's going to be a hunting rifle, not a target rifle. I reload, so the ammo won't be an issue as well. For the stock, I'm leaning towards a grey laminated stock from boyds. I was debating whether to go with a synthetic in either an HS or Brown Precision, but I think the grey laminated stock will look really good. I have a Ruger #1 with the grey laminated stock with a stainless barrel and action and think it looks really good.

Charles S
February 17, 2007, 03:03 PM
trooper3385,

That sounds like a really great setup. I am sure it will shoot better than I can.

I have been hearing good things about Shaw also.

BTW, I like you have no experience with the 264 Win Mag, but I have always been fascinated with it. I think it would be a great all around hunting round. With modern metallurgy and modern powders I don't think you will have any issues with barrel life. Actually, my uncle has had a 264 Winchester since 1976 and uses it exclusively as his hunting rifle (he probably shoots no more than 40 rounds a year) and his barrel looks great.

I really think it will be a great rifle and a great setup. Laminates are generally heavier than even plain wood, very stable and they look great also. If you are trying to save ounces synthetics rule.

A couple of years ago I put a nice laminate on a Remington 700 and took it off because of weight issues (I do a lot of walking though so I was looking to save as much weight as possible). If you heart is set on laminate this is a great looking stock I will get pics of it and sell it to you if you are interest.

rrj731
February 17, 2007, 03:12 PM
you realy should get out more

DnPRK
February 17, 2007, 03:28 PM
Kreiger or Bartlein

taylorce1
February 17, 2007, 08:53 PM
Be sure to post pics when your rifle is done!

Charles S
February 17, 2007, 08:56 PM
you realy should get out more

I really want to, but the MS program is keeping me kind of busy!

See you at the Lake...Soon.

trooper3385
February 19, 2007, 04:54 PM
I found a new Remington Long Action magnum in stainless steel for $410. Do you think this is a decent price. I've never bought just an action. I thought this might be a pretty good price since there going at midway for $435 and there not stainless.

cheygriz
February 19, 2007, 11:08 PM
I voted for Shilen, but actually, I doubt there's a dime's worth of difference in most of them.

Lilja, Hart and Krieger are awesome barrels, and IMHO equal in every way to the Shilen.

trooper3385
March 13, 2007, 01:35 AM
Well I got the Remington 700 action in last week and I've already sent it off to Shaw barrels. There going to make the barrel and do all the gunsmithing work. I have Accurate Innovations making the stock for me. Now the waiting game begins. I should have everything finished and put together in about 4 months!