PDA

View Full Version : Red Label barrels??

bswiv
February 14, 2007, 06:07 PM
I have a older model Red Label 20 ga. One made before they went to stainless. I called the Ruger factory today to ask about a new set of barrels and they said that they no longer made them for the older Red Labels. They also said that each barrel set had to be individually fitted to the frame.

So my question is where/how do I get a new set of barrels?

HSMITH
February 14, 2007, 10:47 PM
Contact Simmons Guns in Kansas. If it can be done with a shotgun barrel they can do it or will point you in the right direction.

bswiv
February 15, 2007, 02:00 PM
No luck......any other suggestions appreciated.

HSMITH
February 15, 2007, 04:44 PM
Kolar makes their own barrels, in all guages, including all of the soldering and all of that. They take plain tubes and make them into O/U barrels. I know they also do custom work, but don't know if that includes new barrel sets for the Red Label......

paul salchow
February 23, 2007, 09:31 PM
One of the problems with the 20 gauge barrel sets for rugers is that i have never done one of them,otherwise we would do them.
The last thing i want to do is practice on your shotgun. If i get time to try this i will see what i can build,right now i have 5 sets to build for the rem. 3200's we do.
All things being equal, i don't think it would be a problem, the mono-blocks we have for ruger fit very well and are better than the rem 3200's.
If you are local and could come in with the shotgun, i would like to check the fit. or if anybody else has a red lable 20 gauge and could come in, that would help out.
I would like to see if this would be something i could build with the barrels i make.

bswiv
February 24, 2007, 04:59 AM
Just so I'm clear about this.........

What I want is the whole barrel/block assembly not just the barrels. And what I have is one of the older Red Labels with the blued receivers.

Ruger says they don't make units for them any longer and I'm told that there is some design change that keeps the newer barrel/block sets from fitting in the old receivers?

The block I've got is in the process of having the ruined barrels removed and a set of rifled tubes set into it. If all goes well I'll have a O/U 20 ga rifle.......................IF ALL GOES WELL............

But I would still like to have the option of dropping in a smothbore set.....

paul salchow
February 24, 2007, 10:09 PM
The mono-blocks i have here are for the older ruger red labels,20 years ago we made o/u double rifles for these, this i will not do because we learned that you need to build new firing pins and bushings so you don't start punching holes in your primers and to reinforce the recoil plate because of receiver cracking in the 444 marlin barrel sets.
As for shotgun barrel sets,the 20 gauge receiver is a good shape and size for a 3 barrel set,20,28 and 410.the 28 and 410 barrels sets are 28 inch barrels,and the 20 is 30 or 32 inch fixed choke or we install briley tubes.
For a barrel set it is $1200.00 which includes everything and we will set the POI at what you want.
Rib height can be flat or the tallest rib we do is 1 1/2 inches,we also can taper the rib.
Widths are 5/16 to 1/2 inch,oval posts or round posts,the round posts are used on model 42 winchesters and are 1/2 tall.
Monday i am going over to pick up an older 20 gauge red label and i will check it out.