PDA

View Full Version : Bad Ammo Report- Independence Ammo

Sidewinder6
February 5, 2007, 04:13 PM
Got a case of 9mm Independence from a dealer who fell through on another deal for me and owed me money, so I took it in trade.

Yesterday, I am practicing at the range with a G19 at 15 yards. Half way through the clip I get a 'click'. Oh oh. I wait a couple secs, drop the clip and pull back the slide. Out pops a casing and it dumps powder on the table (its an indoor range). I bring the slide forward and remove it to inspect the barrel and la de da, the round pops out in my hand. Miffed about this, I give the barrel a good inspection and reassemble the weapon saving the bad round off to the side.

Reload clip, start the whole practice thing all over again and half way through the next clip, this time not 'click' but 'CLICK'.

OK, now Im pissed. Only after I drop the clip, the slide wants to fight with me about letting me see the chamber. I get the slide back and the case ejects and powder all over the place again. I see the case is bulged accounting for the resistance in pulling back the slide and there is a firing pin mark on the primer but off center in the edge of the primer. The inside of the casing is not black and the powder is dumped all over the place so I know it didnt burn. At least all of it didnt.

I remove the slide to inspect the barrel and this time a round is stuck just inside the barrel past the chamber. !@$*&^!#$#@!!!. Took a cleaning rod and tapped the round back out into my hand. Luckily force was not required and after brushing the barrel and inspecting, saw there was not any damage.

OK, I am done with that box except for the photos for this post. I have a couple of other boxes from this case left, so I carefully am blowing it off. One clip at a time. The next box fired and cycled the weapon but failed to slide lock after the last round was fired. This was repeated over and over.

Now I have a couple boxes left and I am dumping them before I ruin my weapon or worse. My last association with Independence Ammo is to post this warning to shooters about this stuff. Be VERY Careful.

Topthis
February 5, 2007, 04:59 PM
I had purchased 500rnds of .45 a while back and shot through all of it without any incidents, other than I found it to be less accurate than other brands, also it seemed to throw alot of residue into the air and my mouth. Glad you didn't have anything dangerous happen to ya.

Tom2
February 5, 2007, 05:27 PM
WOuld be interesting to puzzle out what the problem is. I could see that an overlong round could get stuck in the rifling and pull apart like that. I would think the mag. would not accept a too long round anyway. But that does not explain to me why the primers were duds. Apparently there was powder in them. Seems like there is more than one thing wrong with the dud rounds? Do you have a caliper or something to check the cases for proper size that fell apart? Bullet pulling out and the primer not going off is weird. And I can't figure out what is up with the off center strike either. If the round was chambered, I would expect the firing pin to strike regardless if the bullet was loose or what. Maybe the Mfr should be contacted. They might make it right for you or someone should!!

Iron bottom
February 5, 2007, 05:36 PM
That firing pin strike looks like that pistol was fired a little out of battery to me. Is this the normal position of the firing pin strike?

Sidewinder6
February 5, 2007, 06:19 PM
In retrospect, the round may not have been in full battery which scares the heck out of me. I elect to toss out the rest of this stuff and use better ammo even though the cost will be a bit higher.