PDA

View Full Version : dumb question

billydiesel
February 4, 2007, 09:50 PM
Is a smith and wesson 32 auto the same as a 7.65mm.

just curious, I have a 7.65 and not sure if I can shoot 32 sw auto in it.

thanks for any info

44 AMP
February 4, 2007, 10:53 PM
.32 ACP is the same as 7.65mm Browning. There is a .32 S&W cartridge, but it is a rimmed revolver round, which is NOT the same as the .32ACP/7.65mm.

I am curious, is the ammo you are asking about S&W .32 ACP ammo (made by S&W) or is the cartridge name .32 S&W?

The .32 acp is techincally a "semi rimmed" case, meaning the rim extends slightly beyond the diameter of the case body. At a glance it looks like a standard rimless round (like the 9mm or .45ACP), with an extractor groove above the rim at the base of the case. .32/7.65mm ammo is for auto pistols.

If the round has a conspicious protruding rim (like a .38 Special case) it is for a revolver.

Hope this helps.

billydiesel
February 5, 2007, 07:17 PM
I'm just asking for a friend who recently acquired a a pistol from his grandfather, but does not know what type of ammo to get. The barrel has KAL 7.65 and thats all. No manufacturer or anything. I told him I think it would be 32 auto but I wasn't sure. It has the nazi emblem on the slide next to the letters jhv 41. Would send pics but no camera.

just wandering if I was correct that it would be a .32 auto.

EIGHTYDUECE
February 5, 2007, 09:58 PM
.32 ACP is what ot will use.

Is it a Walther?

billydiesel
February 9, 2007, 04:34 PM
It looks like similar to a tokarev, but it's definately german. It has no magazine release, just a clip on the bottom of the grip to hold the magazine in. I'm pretty sure it's not a walther, But I have no clue what it is. As soon as I am able to post a pic I will. thanks for the info, I just wanted to be sure it's the right ammo.

I told him I would not shoot it a whole lot until we find out about it. It may be something he wants to hold on to.

10 MickeyMouse
February 10, 2007, 01:54 PM
Since .32 ACP is about the only .32 caliber handgun cartridge used outside of the USA, that's a pretty good bet. In Europe, it is generally known as the 7.65mm Auto(insert correct translation) or 7.65mm Browning.

If not a Walther, it could be a Dreyse or Steyr. Of course, there were plenty of other small auto's made by little known European firms over the last century.

OldShooter
February 10, 2007, 06:08 PM
It could also be a Colt 1903, Mauser 1910 series, Beretta 1934, FN/Browning 1910, JP Sauer, Ortgies, Fromm Stop, etc... The list is nearly endless. Let's see a picture.

.32 caliber was very popular in Europe in the first half of the 20th century. They were issued to many police and they were popular as pocket pistols.

billydiesel
February 11, 2007, 09:48 PM
Ok, this is it. Pics were taken with a cell phone but hopefully you can see it ok.

10 MickeyMouse
February 12, 2007, 10:26 PM
Sure looks like a Llama (probably a model XV). Not sure though.

I do not know of any German pistols that look like that. I'd put money on it being Spanish; they loved to butcher the 1911 design.

Are you positive there are no other markings on the gun?

theberettaman
February 13, 2007, 12:53 AM
Isn't Kal. the Slovic abreviation.I'm thinking eastern european.It being magazine fed,your best bet is 32ACP.Not many if any semi autos are going to feed rimmed cartridges.

billydiesel
February 13, 2007, 01:38 AM
Thanks guys, I learned that it is a hungarian Femaru model 1937. Still confused about the nazi emblem though. Nice little collectors piece even though it has no real value. Shoots wonderful though. Thanks for the help guys on finding the right ammo.

Does anyone know a good website for identifying old firearms?

thanks again
Billy

theberettaman
February 13, 2007, 01:44 PM
Germany dominated eastern europe during the war years.

44 AMP
February 13, 2007, 10:16 PM
A little recognised fact is that while Nazi Germany built a tremendous manufacturing industry for weapons, then never had as many guns as they wanted. The Wehrmacht (regular armed forces) got most of the production of the standard military pistols, the P.38 and the P.08, the other German services pressed into service nearly anything they could get.

The Waffen SS (Nazi party combat soldiers) were often equipped with arms from captured countries when there not enough German made ones to go around.

And, nearly every political bureau head in Germany had a uniform, which included a pistol, normally in a flap holster. And the efficient German government had a lot of offices, (Amts). Political figures in party organizations also often wore pistols as part of their uniform.

To meet this demand, the Germans scooped up all the pistols they could in countries they conquered. If the factories weren't too badly damaged, they put them back to work making guns. Often with forced (slave) labor.
Polish Radom 9mms, Belgian Browning Hi-Powers, Czech and many others are found with Nazi markings.

When the guns were accepted into the govt. inventory they were ususally marked with the WaAPruf (WaffenAmt-weapons office proofmark). This is (usually) a Nazi Eagle with swastika (stylized), and a number. On some guns it is very clear, on others just a few lines.

So, a Nazi marked .32 ACP means that it "served" in some capacity during the Nazi regime. It might have been an officer's pistol in the transportation service, or been on the belt of the Gauleiter (party boss) for Bremen, or could have been carried by a Gestapo investigator, or any of a hundred other "jobs" in the Nazi administration.

Hope this helps.