PDA

View Full Version : where do you store your black?

shoebox1.1
January 29, 2007, 09:27 PM
i cant decide where to store pyrodex when i get some. garage? its a plastic container... shouldnt get moisture in there. i just dont like the idea of keeping in the house with a gas furnace and all gas appliances (ign sources). there is no electrical sources except for flourencent lights in the garage. maybe im just being paranoid. i just want the safest place to store it.

Dave Haven
January 29, 2007, 10:18 PM
Just keep it in a DRY place; the cooler, the better. Don't worry about the gas appliances; black powder, pyrodex, and other substitutes don't give off any flammable or explosive fumes.

sjsfire
January 30, 2007, 04:57 PM
I keep my Pyrodex in my gun safe. I wouldn't store it in the garage. Even though it's in a plastic container there are too many temp. variations

rantingredneck
January 30, 2007, 05:19 PM
I've got one of those sportsmen's dry boxes that I keep all my muzzleloading supplies in, including my powder (pellets now). It has an o-ring seal around the top and should be pretty well moisture proof. I've been muzzleloader hunting for 12-13 years and have never had a problem with moisture and my powder.

BigBang
January 31, 2007, 10:30 PM
I keep my Goex inside a sealed army surplus ammo can.

sundance44s
February 1, 2007, 10:15 AM
I keep all my powder , about 25 lbs worth ...in my hay barn ..its powder house dry , and its 300 ft from the house . If the hay ever burns it`ll be one heck of a fire ...might as well have some explosions to go with it .:eek:

Jump boot
February 1, 2007, 04:16 PM
Hay barn , now there is a noval idea ,never thought of that. That is one way to get back at old Blue for bucking me off.:rolleyes:
I thought of storing my powder in one of those plastic sportsman boxes too ,until I read somewhere that plastic and black powder don't mix,unless they were just refering to plastic bags because of the static electricity danger.I went with the military ammo can idea myself , just to be on the safe side.

sundance44s
February 1, 2007, 05:24 PM
My powder is also in a large metal Ammo can .... some say this is a bad idea because if it went off over a fire from the heat ...the explosion would have the metal bits blown too ....some say to always use a wooden box with a tight lid ..so it won`t do as much damage if it happens ... Uncle Sam likes the metal Ammo boxes and they`ve been around a long time ...but i do understand ...the danger in what the nay sayers are saying .....if it were closer to my house i might use the wooden box ... but at the distance from the house mine is stored ...i feel better with it in the airtight can.

BigBang
February 1, 2007, 05:39 PM
Well, if a fire was burning so hot as to ignite powder stored in an ammo can...you're already dead if you're still standing near it.

shoebox1.1
February 4, 2007, 03:15 PM
i forgot about my ammo can! ive got a good one seals tight! its going in there and in the garage. and just for fun ill throw in a silica pouch to take away moisture.

Double J
February 16, 2007, 08:48 PM
I read once where it was wrong to store Pyrodex in a plastic container because of static risk. But it comes in a plastic bottle. The ATF regs say a powder magazine must be of a non sparking material and or coated with non sparking paint. But black powder comes in metal cans. Some how I just don't always understand simple logic. I'm sure lots of unsuspecting folks get blown to bits when pouring black powder through a plastic funnel into a powder horn. And I wonder how many people carry powder charges in those handy plastic film canisters or speed load tubes. If ol Davy Crockett was a golfer his risk of being lightning struck would be greater than his worries of his powder. Powder isn't as bad to store as some would think. A little common sense and keep 'er dry.:)

BigBang
February 16, 2007, 09:00 PM
BP is nearly impossible to ignite accidently via static. I've seen experiments, and tried them myself, where in high voltage electricity is arced through black powder. It doesn't blow, even when that is the goal. That doesn't mean it's impossible, but I've certainly got more important things to worry about...

mykeal
February 17, 2007, 08:43 AM
Don't know about plastic storage, but...

Wood is probably worse than metal in the event of a fire. Wood produces splinters - very high velocity, sharp projectiles in all directions. A metal container will rip open but not shatter into pieces. It might send a few shards flying, but unless it's designed to create shrapnel there will be very little metal in the air.

I keep my stuff in the original container locked in a metal box in an unheated garage; have seen no effect from temperature swings. Humidity is the great evil.

The issue with keeping it in the house is not that the powder will produce explosive fumes, because it doesn't, but that other ignition sources will get to the powder. A gun safe is a very good mitigation. My "safe" in the house is a gun room with a locked steel door; there is no live ammunition or powder kept in that room, more for child safety than fire danger. Keeping the ammo and guns locked up separately is the best protection I can think of against curious little hands.

Ohio Rusty
February 17, 2007, 02:10 PM
I have a barn out back. In the floor of the barn I put in a coleman cooler with the top at about floor level. It keeps the BP cool, dry and away from the house !! A really good storage box for BP is an regular old, small refrigerator that doesn't work anymore. Put a lock and hasp on it to keep unwanted people out. Most DOT BP storage containers aren't anything more than a box similiar to a refrigerator.
Ohio Rusty

Double J
February 18, 2007, 12:58 AM
Static test: stainless teaspoon, FFFFG, push button grill lighter for ignition. Arc jumps couple inches through powder, no fire. Nothing. Repeated several times with FFG,FFFG,FFFFG. No fire.

AJ/OH
February 23, 2007, 09:10 AM
I shoot about 50 lbs of black powder a year so I bought a powder magazine. It is made of steel, lined with ΒΌ" plywood and on wheels. It is not "sealed" as many have mentioned. The powder is stored in its original containers. If you take a look at the top of the powder can, there is a small dimple located near the cap. This is done to provide a release point for pressure build up in the can due to excessive heat (fire). Otherwise the can will become a "bomb". Black powder is as everyone knows an explosive. By not having the container sealed tight it helps to prevent this condition, but you are still going to get a boom.

Look at the storage container as if it were a barrel. If you pour powder down the bore and just "touch it off", there is a "woosh-boom". Now pour powder down the barrel and seal it with a wad or ball (just like your sealed storage box). Touch it off, now we just have the big boom.

Still, it is necessary to provide a safe place way from heat and exposed flames. Mark whatever storage container you use so the fire department is aware of its contents. You could even check with your local fire department to get their suggestions for marking and location.

Sincerely
AJ

old 12 gauge
February 24, 2007, 04:30 PM
New York State law.

a) General.

(1) The provisions of this section shall apply only in connection with the transportation, storage and sporting use of black powder in quantities of five pounds or less when such powder is used in antique firearms or weapons or replicas thereof.

3) A vehicle in transit carrying no other explosives than five pounds or less of black powder may be parked on a public street of a city, town or village near a dwelling, building or place where persons work, congregate or assemble provided that a designated person remains in such vehicle to guard the black powder.
39.12 Special provisions relating to black powder.

(a) General.

(1) The provisions of this section shall apply only in connection with the transportation, storage and sporting use of black powder in quantities of five pounds or less when such powder is used in antique firearms or weapons or replicas thereof.

(2) Persons shall use, store, buy, sell, possess, transport, receive or dispose of black powder only in accordance with the provisions of the Labor Law and of this Part (rule).

(b) Transportation.

(1) Vehicles carrying five pounds or less of black powder and carrying no other explosives shall be marked or placarded either on both sides or on both front and rear with circular signs or decals. Every such sign or decal shall have a minimum diameter of six inches and shall contain the letters "LOW-EX" in legible black letters at least one and one-quarter inches in height on a yellow background.

(2) A trailer may be attached to a vehicle carrying five pounds or less of black powder and carrying no other explosives. This paragraph does not modify the provisions of paragraph 39.11(g) (5) of this Part (rule) which prohibits the use of trailers for the transportation of explosives.

(3) A vehicle in transit carrying no other explosives than five pounds or less of black powder may be parked on a public street of a city, town or village near a dwelling, building or place where persons work, congregate or assemble provided that a designated person remains in such vehicle to guard the black powder.

(4) Passengers other than the driver may be permitted in any vehicle transporting five pounds or less of black powder and carrying no other explosives and provided the black powder is located in the trunk of the vehicle or otherwise separated from the passenger compartment.

(5) Smoking, if otherwise permitted by law, may be permitted by persons driving or riding in a vehicle containing five pounds or less of black powder and carrying no other explosives provided the black powder is located in the trunk of the vehicle or is otherwise separated from the passenger compartment. The other provisions of subdivision 39.11(c) of this Part (rule) shall remain in effect.

(6) Unloaded firearms may be permitted in a vehicle transporting five pounds or less of black powder and carrying no other explosives provided such firearms are securely fastened to a portion of the vehicle or located in a case or box and are separated from the black powder box.

(c) Storage. (1) Five pounds or less of black powder may be transported in a vehicle, stored in a residence other than a multiple dwelling or stored in a building other than a place of public assembly in accordance with the provisions of this paragraph.

(i) The black powder shall be either in the original shipping canisters, powder horns, powder flasks or as prepared charges in plastic or paper tubes. Such containers shall be kept in locked boxes constructed of wood at least three-quarters inch nominal thickness. Handles shall be provided on each end or a single handle shall be centered on the top of each such box for quick removal in case of any emergency.

(ii) Each such box shall be painted red with the letters "LOWEX" at least one and one- quarter inches in height printed in yellow or white on the cover.

http://www.labor.state.ny.us/workerprotection/safetyhealth/sh39_12.shtm