PDA

View Full Version : Howa 1500 + extras....a good deal?

burnera
January 25, 2007, 01:01 PM
yeah..i was looking at Savage's in .223...but then i found this rifle on consignment at a local gun store. here's the details:

$800

howa series 1500
free floated heavy match barrel
2-piece burris scope rings [the nice ones]
Burris Full Field 2 scope [6.5-20 power, 50mm]
vented stock
harris bi-pod

I'm pretty sure its this one: http://www.snipercentral.com/howa.htm
at least the stock is exactly the same.

am i stupid for not buying it right there?

tINY
January 25, 2007, 03:33 PM
If it's in good shape, it sounds like a decent deal.

Make sure to check the bore and crown well.

-tINY

phillipdbruzassr
January 25, 2007, 08:14 PM
I have never owned a Howa and the largest gun shop in my state carries a good supply of them:D . I believe years ago they made rifles for a large American gun company. The company name escapes my memory at this time. When I checked the specs. on their web sight I noticed the barrel twist was 1 - 12" which will do fine with 52 & 55 gr. bullets. If you just want to punch paper at 100 yds.; that is great; but if you want to shoot a heavier .223 bullet for long range targets or varmint I suggest you look for a 1-9" twist barrel which will handle a larger spectrum of bullets. The rifle is a great looker but most people spend a lot of money for a good quality rifle and don't break it in the right way and they do not buy a $20.00 bore guide and use quality cleaning rods and brushes. When in doubt do what the bench rest shooters do when breaking in a new rifle. You will not go wrong and have a more accurate rifle.:) :) :)

oldguy52
January 26, 2007, 07:02 PM
S & W offered a 1500 back in the late 70s early 80s and I'm wondering if that could be the company you're thinking of. Bought one in 243 that was a decent shooting rifle.

atblis
January 26, 2007, 07:04 PM
Weatherby perhaps?

Scope is about $400 New
Rifle is about $600 New
Bipod is about $60 New
Rings maybe $20 (depends on which ones)

Apply a 70% rule and it comes out to about $760

Not a smokin deal. Howa probably takes a bit more of a hit on the used market than other firearms.

I wouldn't feel too bad about passing on that one. Though if you're looking for a varmint gun, the Howa would be one to consider. The twist rate is little slow (unless that's changed).

buckster
January 27, 2007, 08:44 PM
budsguns.com has one for 426.00. 5+1 rounds heavy barrel and adjustable trigger. New.

atblis
January 27, 2007, 11:12 PM
Buds lists that gun for $608

dogngun
January 29, 2007, 07:53 AM
Howa made the Weatherby Vanguard and some of the the S&W rifles about 25 years ago. I have seen several Howa's lately, including a very fancy sporter in 270...they seemed well made and very smooth.

I'd check around for a better price.

Mark