PDA

View Full Version : Glock 19 or 19C compensated?

Mark B
January 23, 2007, 07:14 PM
I saw a 19C compensated in the gun store the other day and am seriously considering making it mine. I wanted to ask you all some Qs first.
Would you choose the ported barrel over the non-ported?
Do the ports make that much of a difference on the 19?
Could I put a standard 19 barrel in the gun at a later time, with out changing out the slide?
Is the loss of velocity ever something to worry about?
I'm looking forward to any opinions/advice thanks

Ausserordeutlich
January 23, 2007, 07:19 PM
Yes, you can put a standard G19 barrel in. The velocity loss is neglible with the ported barrel. 9mms don't recoil much anywho!

Jason_G
January 23, 2007, 07:19 PM
If this is going to be a SD pistol, I would get the non-ported. In low light, the muzzle flash is already your enemy, why have it accentuated by porting it up through the top of the gun, directly where you are focusing your sight? Don't make a bad thing worse is my opinion. If you are just going to be plinking or target shooting, then the compensated version would be good.

Just MHO.

Jason

Mark B
January 23, 2007, 09:30 PM
Good point on the muzzle flash thanks. The truth is all of my guns have to be able to fill the role of SD if need be so I'll take your advice into consideration. It nice to know I'd have the option of changing the barrel. I understand that porting increases the noise level of a shot as well, so I'll have to weigh that into the descision also.

Willy T
January 23, 2007, 09:42 PM
Non ported for me please. I fired the 20C before buying the 20. I really dont recall any recoil suppression. If there is it was not readilly noticeable. The 20C was just dirty and louder to shoot.

hot sauce
January 23, 2007, 09:54 PM
The ported will put a lot more dirt in your face. I thought about the SD aspect when I got my 17. I passed on the 17C, because what if I have to fire the gun near my face (a carjacking comes to mind) in a SD scenario. Also 9mm's dont kick much anyway.

Mosin44az
January 24, 2007, 12:04 AM
I have a 19. Don't think it kicks enough for the porting to help. And porting has the disadvantages stated above. Plus don't get it near your face...

Porting has its place in .44 magnums, .357 magnums, maybe a 10mm.

Tony C
January 24, 2007, 12:09 AM
I seem to be out on my own, but a friend of mine has the 19C (could be the 20C) and I own the Walther P99C (un-ported). Both are .40 S&Ws. With his, due to the porting, you can get back on target much faster with much more control. I love the accuracy of my Walther but due to the caliber and the compact size, it is much slower to put back on the paper. I am sending my Walther to Magnaport to compensate it. I believe that the second shot accuracy and timing will out weigh any flash issues. Just another opinon. Be Safe. Tony

Mosin44az
January 24, 2007, 12:18 AM
If it's a Glock .40, that's probably the 22C or 23C. I agree porting could be useful to cut flip and recoil on a .40. The 19C is a 9mm, though.

trooper3385
January 24, 2007, 12:36 AM
Your not going to have much second shot accuracy if you can't see the target very well from the muzzle flash from your first shot. From what you said about the gun filling a SD role, I wouldn't even consider the ported. As the others have said, the recoil from a 9mm is not going to be an issue, ported or not. The ported weapons have there place with hunting and plinking firearms, not SD firearms.

Mark B
January 24, 2007, 11:12 AM
Thanks for all the sound replies, I'll pass on the ported. I wonder why Glock feels the need to produce it. "Fad Factor" perhaps?

CDFT
January 24, 2007, 11:55 AM
Actually, the glocktalk forums have some extensive threads on the subject. Most people report a great reduction in recoil, and that cleaning isn't much of an issue (though a very few people say it does nothing for them and makes cleaning a pain). Several people also kick around the names of some police departments that use compensated Glocks as their duty weapons. Also, the general consensus there is that the muzzle flash is a non-issue.

Of course, to be fair, you reached the same conclusion I did: the porting probably is not worth it for a defensive pistol.

OBIWAN
January 24, 2007, 12:44 PM
"Fad Factor" perhaps?"

Ya think:rolleyes:

The standard barrel has all the holes you need...one in each end....or is it one total through each end...I get confused

Technique will give you all the control you need..especially with a 9mm

threegun
January 24, 2007, 03:25 PM
I believe that the second shot accuracy and timing will out weigh any flash issues.

Ha Ha Ha Until as mention earlier the blast pressure and debris remove your eyeballs.

From my extensive experience with compensated Glocks I can tell you that the reduction in muzzle rise is noticeable. This would and has paid dividends in competition for me and many others.

Ultra high pressure flows from the ports. Enough to cut cardboard props used in our IPSC and Threegun competitions from several inches away. My face has been peppered by powder particles many times.

There is no way I would ever recommend a compensated gun for SD. It would be nice to have the benefits of a comp however the drawbacks far out weigh them.

Kermit
January 24, 2007, 09:00 PM
I'm not a ported gun fan and I am a G19 fan...so, go w/ the Glock 19 ;)

FS2K
January 25, 2007, 12:52 AM
Hey Mark.

Well, the G19 is a very very good gun no matter what configuration you decide on. Muzzle flash is not a problem with the G19C. The ports are not vertical on the top of the slide, instead they are on either side of the front sight post. Does the G19 need porting? No. However,a ported barrel with a steel guiderod and 20lb recoil spring in a G19 makes for an awesome defense gun. Ultra controllable and smooth as silk. You could always get a non ported barrel and put it in your gun if it turns out that you don't like the posts, but at least you have that option and won't have to put one of those aftermarket (vertical port) barrels in later when you decide to try posrting out later.

Jeff22
January 25, 2007, 05:15 AM
Compensators are useful if you compete in "open" class in IPSC.

For a self defense gun, they aren't a good idea. (1.) The ports will direct muzzle flash up in front of your eyes when shooting at night. This can be significantly minimized by using self-defense ammo that has lots of flash suppressant in the powder. (2.) If firing from a close quarters/weapon retention position, the ports will direct muzzle flash and gas and unburned powder grains up into your face. (3.) Occassionally we see shooters with compensated guns shooting generic ammo have little slivers of bullet jacket material get peeled off in the compensator as the bullet passes through, and the fragments have enough velocity to break skin. Probably not an issue with careful bullet selection.(4.) The ports do create a weak spot in the barrel and eventually the barrel will crack between the front of the port and the muzzle. (This will take lots of shooting in most cases)

#2 is by far the most significant drawback in a self-defense application. You don't want to be engaging somebody at close range and get blinded when you fire. I've seen a couple of shooters be unpleasantly surprised for this reason, even with good shooting glasses. Recently the local regional police academy was going to prohibit compensated guns for pre-service recruits in training unless the gun was actually issued by their agency, but I'm not sure if that ever came to pass or not.

Mark B
January 25, 2007, 11:30 AM
Thanks guys
As always great replies, there seems to be no end to the knowledge and sound advice I find on this site. I must admit I am liking the idea of having a ported barrel and a non ported barrel.

threegun
January 25, 2007, 12:01 PM
Best of both worlds.

ninemm
January 28, 2007, 08:59 PM
For those of you that cannot "C" the light, please read the following:

http://www.glocktalk.com/showthread.php?threadid=506401

It is logic that should change your limited point of view.

Jason_G
January 28, 2007, 09:28 PM
For those of you that cannot "C" the light, please read the following:

http://www.glocktalk.com/showthread.php?threadid=506401

It is logic that should change your limited point of view.
I read it and disagree with it. The author writes in "#1",

"With the “C” models, the flash looks like a 'V' - up and out to either side of your front sight, leaving it plainly visible after the shot. There may also be some amount of flash from the muzzle, but it is negligible."

It doesn't matter what shape the muzzle flash is. If it is directed upward in the general direction of the front sight, even if it is not right in front of it, it is going to affect your ability to see in low light. A non ported barrel doesn't escape this problem either, but it definitely does not direct the flash upward in the area of your target picture, accentuating the problem. As far as flash from the actual muzzle on a ported barrel, it's still there. It may not be nearly as pronounced, but it's anything but "negligible".

He goes on to write:
"Today’s high quality defensive ammo has very low flash."
Yes, which would mean what? The muzzle flash that does occur is still going to be more of a nuissance in the ported vs. the non ported barrel, right?

In the rest of the author's post, he concedes that the non ported barrel is better in terms of:
-not blowing debris in the shooter's face
-delivering higher bullet velocities
-producing less noise
-not fouling up the front sight with soot
He then tries to downplay those benefits.

Well, if you believe it, that's fine. It didn't make a believer out of me, I still think ported barrels belong on target pistols, not SD weapons, and I'm an open minded person. And please, don't criticize others' points of view as being "limited" simply because they are not your own.

Jason

Topthis
January 28, 2007, 09:43 PM
My G23 is V-ported. I have shot the non-ported also and have noticed that there is a marked difference in recoil/flip (for me). I do get stuff in my face and I can get a mouthful of awful tasting powder/residue, I can't stand either of these effects. The muzzle flash is hardly noticeable though...in low light I have not been blinded by the flash and unable to see my target, in fact I am not sure what the big deal is about muzzle flash and SD, in total darkness you can't see your target clearly anyways and with a TacLite I have not noticed the flash being a hinderance. As far as cleaning, I believe that I spend a little more time cleaning it than I do my other guns and need to be a bit more meticulous about it. If though you are talking about 9mm's, then I really don't see the need for porting. If you are concerned with recoil/flip and want consistent follow up shots, just go to a heavier recoil spring. I did this with my XD9 and the recoil/flip is absolutely negligible.

ninemm
January 28, 2007, 10:16 PM
Well, if you believe it, that's fine. It didn't make a believer out of me, I still think ported barrels belong on target pistols, not SD weapons, and I'm an open minded person. And please, don't criticize others' points of view as being "limited" simply because they are not your own

Jason, you can believe what you want, but it is obvious you have not fired a GC firearm and if you have not fired a C Glock, your point of view is limited.

You should lose the attitude.

OBIWAN
January 28, 2007, 11:01 PM
"your limited point of view."

My limited point of view is that I shoot the non-compensated models just fine

My grip/stance combination is such that I don't need ports to control the weapon...not even with much hotter calibers than 9mm

I have shot compensated pistols and while there was a neatness factor that was all it was

There are no end of "gadgets" out there for people that are not interested iin mastering the basics...or just trying to "lower their score"

If you want them fine...by all means go for it

But there are downsides and pretending they do not exist is silly

ninemm
January 28, 2007, 11:16 PM
My grip/stance combination is such that I don't need ports to control the weapon...not even with much hotter calibers than 9mm

I have shot compensated pistols and while there was a neatness factor that was all it was

Apparently we have hit a nerve.

Call it "neatness factor" if you want, others might prefer to call it tactical advantage.

While your grip/stance combination is so fined tuned to the point that you don't require or prefer a C Glock, even with those "hotter calibers", others may find it useful.

OBIWAN
January 29, 2007, 12:19 PM
Nope...no nerves struck...just an opposing view...and one based on experimentation

You stated that

"It is logic that should change your limited point of view"

and then referenced some totally subjective material

There are obviosly two different points of view and yet you have decided which one is limited

Funny....how clear it was that everyone else was limited

And based on that, I can't help thinking you should listen to your own advice

"You should lose the attitude"

Rugged
January 29, 2007, 12:35 PM
I seem to be out on my own, but a friend of mine has the 19C (could be the 20C) and I own the Walther P99C (un-ported). Both are .40 S&Ws. With his, due to the porting, you can get back on target much faster with much more control. I love the accuracy of my Walther but due to the caliber and the compact size, it is much slower to put back on the paper. I am sending my Walther to Magnaport to compensate it. I believe that the second shot accuracy and timing will out weigh any flash issues. Just another opinon. Be Safe. Tony

It's not because of the ports. It's because of the superior design, low bore axis, and grip angle of the GLOCK. It has absolutely nothing to do with the ports.

the GLOCK grip angle that all the haters love to bash is the reason for the quick second shot follow up.

Comparing a GLOCk to a Walther is like comparing apples and oranges.

Jason_G
January 29, 2007, 01:26 PM
Nope...no nerves struck...just an opposing view...and one based on experimentation

You stated that

"It is logic that should change your limited point of view"

and then referenced some totally subjective material

There are obviosly two different points of view and yet you have decided which one is limited

Funny....how clear it was that everyone else was limited

And based on that, I can't help thinking you should listen to your own advice

"You should lose the attitude"
Bingo.

Jason