PDA

View Full Version : What's with the long trigger on CZs?

Ichiro
January 22, 2007, 08:40 PM
Late last year, I shot a CZ P-01 at a show and absolutely loved it in every respect, except one. The double-action trigger position is so far forward that I could barely pull the trigger.

I like the DA/SA design with decocker only, but I need to be able to pull the trigger on the first shot.

So, why do they make the trigger so hard to pull in DA?

Also, do they make a shorter trigger, can I install it myself, and how much does it cost? I ask, because I really like this pistol otherwise.

EIGHTYDUECE
January 22, 2007, 09:11 PM
If you decock the P01, the hammer drops to half cock and is much easier to reach. Half cock is the way to carry the weapon

Ichiro
January 23, 2007, 12:16 AM
That's it?

What the heck was I doing, then? I'm sure I decocked it and felt I could barely reach the trigger.

chris in va
January 23, 2007, 01:59 AM
Ditto. It's carried at half cock. Now the trigger will be all the way forward even at half, but the pull will be extremely light until it takes up the hammer halfway.

If you have smallish hands, the P01 probably isn't for you. I have large hands and it fits pretty well.

Topthis
January 23, 2007, 02:13 AM
Yep...playin' with mine right now. The half cocked is the way to go. I have smallish hands myself, but have gotten used to the long DA first pull, mainly due to dry firing the heck out of it! Also, dry firing my KP345 has helped me get used to a long DA first pull. The thing that really amazes me about the P-01 is the accuracy.
Wondering is anyone has played around with different recoil strengths, to see what will reduce the recoil/flip??

steveracer
January 23, 2007, 08:29 AM
Works great.

tegemu
January 23, 2007, 08:54 AM
Often folks think they have gone to half cock, because they pushed the decocking lever as far as it would go, with insufficient force. If you pushed the decocker and the hammer didn't drop to half cock (looks like it is firing ), you did not achieve half cock nor decocking. Often it takes a surprising amount of force to move the lever enough, especially to someone not used to decocking.

if you push the

clu
January 23, 2007, 09:13 AM
Often folks think they have gone to half cock, because they pushed the decocking lever as far as it would go, with insufficient force. If you pushed the decocker and the hammer didn't drop to half cock (looks like it is firing ), you did not achieve half cock nor decocking. Often it takes a surprising amount of force to move the lever enough, especially to someone not used to decocking.

If this were the case the pistol would still be in single action and he would not have a problem.

The double-action trigger position is so far forward that I could barely pull the trigger.

Also, do they make a shorter trigger

I think most of the posts have missed the point of the original question, the problem is not the weight of the pull or whether the pistol is at half-cock or not, the problem is the long trigger reach not allowing him enough leverage for short fingers.

Unfortunately the P01 features a "shorter" trigger than the standard 75B and I am aware of no after market solutions other than the suggestion of having the Single Action capable safety installed and using Cocked and Locked, but you stated you liked DA/SA otherwise so this may not be a viable option.

rellascout
January 23, 2007, 09:27 AM
I do not find the length of pull on the CZ P01 to be long. I find it to be nice short IMHO compared to say a Sig.

Are you referring to the stiffness or weight of the trigger pull? If that is the case my bet is that the P01 you were firing was new or fairly new. CZ triggers are very stiff right out of the box.

I dry fire new cz 500 to 1000 time with snap caps and they smooth out nicely. My guess is that is all the CZ needed.

Ichiro
January 23, 2007, 10:27 AM
It's just the reach on the first pull. The trigger seemed farther away than it does on my decocked Sig or double-action revolvers. Heavy doesn't bother me if the reach is comfortable.

Anyway, I'll take another look at this model when I get the chance. It might not be as bad as I remembered. A very comfortable gun.

Dfariswheel
January 23, 2007, 12:46 PM
The CZ guns have always had triggers positioned very far forward.
In most cases, there's been no good reason for this, but CZ has been resistant and late in changing trigger shape to correct this.

The European American Armory (EAA) Witness line of "clones" have been more innovative with features, and the EAA guns have simply reshaped the trigger to put it much farther to the rear.
EAA pioneered features like better shaped triggers, rounded hammers, and ambidextrous safeties.

CZ finally got the message, and on some newer models the triggers have also been reshaped and moved to the rear.
Some of these newer design triggers can be retro-fitted to older models which still have the older design triggers.
In some cases, EAA triggers can be installed in CZ guns.

CZ triggers can also be modified to place them farther to the rear, so there's no need to live with a long trigger reach these days.

shamus005
January 23, 2007, 01:00 PM
Jeez, a lot of you guys must have Little Girl Hands.

The CZ-75B feels no different than a Beretta 92, at least for me.

my CZ-75B works fine for me:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v222/shamus005/cz75btriggerreach.jpg

Ichiro
January 23, 2007, 05:25 PM
Shamus. Thanks for that photo.

My problem was that I was using my pinkie finger. :eek:

atblis
January 24, 2007, 03:19 PM
"girly hands" ha ha
No problems here witht the trigger reach.

THe new trigger I cannot stand. It is sharply curved and bites my finger.

rellascout
January 24, 2007, 03:42 PM
Jeez, a lot of you guys must have Little Girl Hands.

The CZ-75B feels no different than a Beretta 92, at least for me.

my CZ-75B works fine for me:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v222/shamus005/cz75btriggerreach.jpg

Not to critize but it looks like you have way too much finger in that trigger. Resting the trigger in the first notch of your finger will cause the knuckle of your hand to come into play and you might find yourself shooting low at 7 oclock.

But what do I know I have girly hands. :D

shamus005
January 25, 2007, 08:08 AM
rellascout,

Oh, that's fine. Feel to offer a criticism. I've heard that about the trigger finger, but my fingers are too long to shoot with the finger pad on the trigger. I have to use the first knuckle.

It's a handicap with my long fingers, but I make do. :) though sometimes I do shoot low at 7 O'clock.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v222/shamus005/cz75target210shots.jpg

Mark54g
January 25, 2007, 08:31 AM
I have the same problem, Shamus. I just need to work on my patience to get better groups :)

waynedm
January 31, 2007, 12:55 PM
Like Rellascout said, guy is knuckling the trigger. If you are having trouble reaching the trigger (any trigger) you are most likely knuckling it.

If you care about accuracy, you'll get out of the habit.

There are a few reasons, and I'll let Todd Jarrett explain to you why. That and everybody loves a good shooting video.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-4584332856867071363&q=todd+jarret&hl=en

Eric M.
January 31, 2007, 01:18 PM
This is a great post, and a good video waynedm.
I have small hands and have the same problem.
Learned something new, and I will go half cocked from now on.

I saw some things on the video that I will try at the range, when the temps. get above zero next week.

Eric

Viper1357
January 31, 2007, 05:23 PM
I can only say that I honestly think the actual CZs trigger travel is longer than most other similar full sized or compact model guns. While it causes me no difficulty in using it, the S/A travel 'seems like' almost an inch of empty travel (or as they call it "take up"). After shooting dozens of different double and single action guns, this just feels different. It's like my hand/finger is used to a certain 'memory/feel', and this longer travel messes with that a little. I'm sure if I ever needed it in a SHTF situation, the hand and finger will have no problem with it.. :D

HiltonFarmer
January 31, 2007, 09:21 PM
Learned something new, and I will go half cocked from now on.

That's kinda scary isn't it!? :p

HiltonFarmer

briang2ad
February 1, 2007, 01:04 PM
The 75s DA trigger is a little more like a revolver than others - pull a Smith out and see.

Also - for the hand positions on this video with HIGH thumbs near the slide (one OVER the safety) the CZ is PERFECT and better suited to this than the 1911 and other similar weapons, and gives a high hand to bore axis orientation.

Eric M.
February 1, 2007, 01:22 PM
Not scary to me Farmer.
I've been shooting pistols all my life, and just bought this one last Friday.
If a guy doesn't learn something new once in a while, and admits it, he is either A] fibbing, or B] has a petrified brain.

I could be sarcastic, and ask you which one you are, A or B, but I will just figure that you don't know me much yet, and leave it at that.;)

I found this site Friday, after coming home with this pistol, [it is actually a TA 90], and really liked the posts here.
I'm 55yrs old, have taught DNR Firearms Youth Safety Certification classes for 33yrs.
At my gun club we will be starting our first pistol league this spring.
I shot ATA Trap for 25yrs, and Smallbore Rifle League for many years.
I have NEVER been involved with pistol ranges, so will be getting NRA Certified in March as a Range Master, and also NRA Certified as a Pistol Instructor.
I am a 32yr NRA Life Member.
I am hoping that I can count on you guys for advice that I will be asking, as things start moving towards spring.
There is a lot of knowledge on this forum to tap into, and I surly hope to get some good advice.

Regards,
Eric

Regards,
Eric:)

HorseSoldier
February 1, 2007, 05:44 PM
I don't find any problems with the trigger placement on the SP-01, P-01 or even the CZ-97. I do have large hands, though.