PDA

View Full Version : Animal Most Wanted

stuckon308
January 19, 2007, 12:09 AM
Ok guys. I'm not completely sure if this has been asked, but I'll ask it anyway. Which animal eludes you? Which animal would you most like to hunt, yet haven't had the chance? And what kind of weapon would you like to use.

Personally I'd enjoy taking down a bison. I know, I know. They're not exactly intelligent animals and not exactly easy to find. But I've always wanted to hunt one. Perhaps one day when I have money to blow I'll buy one from one of the farms around my place (that isn't very sporting is it?). Next year I'm hoping to go out bear hunting, there's an abundance of them around and I have yet to go after one.

trooper3385
January 19, 2007, 12:34 AM
I have several animals on the most wanted list. I'm going to South Africa for a plains game hunt in July. I'm looking to take a Gemsbuck, Kudu, Impala, warthog, Blesbuck, and Zebra. After the Africa hunt, I going to start looking into a black bear hunt. I'll probably wait a couple of years for that one. I would also like to go on a pronghorn Antelope hunt as well. I have several connections in West Texas that have a lot of Antelopes on there ranches. I just need to take to time and follow up on it. A friend of mine is a hunting guide on the King ranch and has offered to take me Nilgia hunting in the spring. I've shot several Nilgia over the years, but have never taken one to get mounted. I'm thinking about getting one mounted, but I'm starting to run out of space on my wall, especially after I go on the Africa trip. Guess I'm going to have to start looking for a new house. I'm going to take my 300 win mag and my 7mm Weatherby mag for the Africa trip. I would probably use one of those for the Black Bear hunt as well. I have a Remington 700 LTR in a 308 that I think would work perfect for the Antelope hunt.

Scorch
January 19, 2007, 01:51 AM
Barren ground caribou and mountain goat. I want to hunt and shoot one of each, not because they are particularly nard to hunt, but becasue of the type of terrain where you hunt them would make it a memorable hunt.

And of course, I want to hunt Africa some day.

banditt007
January 19, 2007, 04:17 AM
i'm a begginer hunter, so my list could fill this whole page. Anyhow what i really want to hunt is a good size wild boar down in south (usa) What i would like to use on the hunt is my winchester 1300 12 gauge, with a 18-20" barrel on her firing some dixie slugs (hard cast, full size, heat treated slugs, IE not made to expand just to drive a full bore size hole right through everything) So though not exotic and this and that, it what i want to hunt really badly. perhaps this spring/summer or next.

iowain45-70
January 19, 2007, 04:25 AM
for me it be a black bear a big one.

GardDog223
January 19, 2007, 07:45 AM
Crocodile in Africa, Antelope in Montana, and to finish the Wild Turkey Grand Slam.

roy reali
January 19, 2007, 08:01 AM
The neighbor's barking dog!:D

deerslayer79
January 19, 2007, 09:10 AM
This year has been the regular,run of the mill whitetail.since sept. 15 I have only killed two,and lost a very nice 8 pointer.:confused:

rantingredneck
January 19, 2007, 09:58 AM
Never Elk hunted but always wanted to. Also wouldn't mind a muley or a moose.

Fat White Boy
January 19, 2007, 12:49 PM
+1 on the Elk and Barren Ground Caribou. I'm gonna have to hurry, I'm getting old...

auburnboattail
January 19, 2007, 12:56 PM
Been fortunate enough to bag most of my North American wish list.
I would love to hunt Bengal or Siberian Tiger.

TCman
January 19, 2007, 03:13 PM
Id like a Caribou or a Dall sheep with my Omega. Im still trying for turkey here at home. No luck yet:(

taylorce1
January 19, 2007, 04:10 PM
300+ class Elk on public land and 50+ inch Alaska/Yukon Moose. Just to draw a Colorado Moose Tag. I would be pretty happy with anyone of these things.

Bigfatts
January 19, 2007, 04:48 PM
I second the barren ground Caribou, in Alaska. I would take the .300 WSM and my brother with me for that one. Next is Pronghorn, not sure where, .243 looks promising for that, or 6.5x55.

SD_Chop
January 19, 2007, 04:50 PM
a grizzly in alaska with my hand cannon

Shooter 973
January 19, 2007, 05:13 PM
Bigfoot!!!:D

Jseime
January 19, 2007, 05:28 PM
Bigfoot, The dodo bird, Wooley mammoth, Sabretooth tiger, and a white albino snorkasaurus.

Actually I'd like to get out and get tags for moose, elk, black bear, and antelope.

I have gotten mule and white tailed deer and i love that i just want to broaden my horizons.

Next fall I'll be out shooting geese and ducks with my new Mossy 500 as well.

robc
January 19, 2007, 05:53 PM
I'd love to bag most of the animals that have been mentioned. The one that eludes me, that I have tried unsuccessfully to get, is bobcat. I hunt N. Minnesota through December for grouse, but I always set a couple of days aside for yotes in the same areas. I've never had a bobcat wander in. In fact, for all the time I've spent in the woods up there I've never even seen one.

Oh, and by the way, if I ever see a bigfoot I'm going to kill it and become more famous than all of you. :p

masterhunter
January 19, 2007, 07:08 PM
I know this may sound crazy to some but I've always wanted...and this is number 1 on my list...a polar bear with my Matthews bow. number 2 would be a Kamchaka brown bear with same equipment.

SavageSniper
January 19, 2007, 08:24 PM
Shooter you started it LOL. I swear I was thinkin' it too. My choice would be elk, moose, and a Kodiak.

Clayfish
January 19, 2007, 10:08 PM
Living down south we don't have alot of big game, Just deer and hog. I would love to hunt elk with a bow in Colorado and hunt pheasant in S. Dakota.

Huntzalittle
January 19, 2007, 10:18 PM
I'd like to hunt an Antelope! I hunted a few years in Colorado and a couple years in Wyoming for Mule deer and did OK. But watching them little antelope always made me wanna get a chance at one of them. I got a tag for Wyoming one year but was in the wrong unit to kill one. I had killed a nice mule deer buck and took off my shirt to gut him out when a really nice antelope buck came within 100 yards. Guess he was attracted by my white Tee shirt. I shoulda took him, but like I said, it was the wrong hunting unit.
Now that I am getting up in years and don't go out west, I regreat not taking that antelope. I've looked at some of the outfitter hunts but too rich for my pocketbook.
Maybe in the "Happy Hunting Grounds" we can pursue our earthly quest. But until then I'm gonna pound these freakin whitetails in the ground! :)

Kato_Guy
January 20, 2007, 01:43 AM
Ever since I was little I always wanted to shoot a kangaroo!!! I dont even know if it is legal But always wanted to smoke one of those things!!!

Other than that the normal elk, bear, antelope, moose, caribou.

stuckon308
January 20, 2007, 02:32 AM
Actually Kato I think it is legal to kill kangaroo. I think I seem to remember hearing people hunting them anyway. I just couldn't bring myself to do that.

Taurus_9mm
January 20, 2007, 03:52 AM
Tyrannosaurus rex. :D Seeing that I missed that window of opportunity by several million years however, I'd opt for Cape Buffalo and a Polar Bear. :)

RedneckFur
January 20, 2007, 01:20 PM
I'd like to take a big white-tailed buck with my .357, open sights.

I'd like the chance to one day take a muley with my 30-30.
I wouldnt mind taking a chance at a hog somtimes soon. Hunting in Africa would be a dream of mine, but its far beyond my means... Just going on a hunting trip in the western states would take a few years of planning and saving for me. Mabey far in the future, when i retire, i can plan myself a good hunting trip.

BUSTER51
January 20, 2007, 01:30 PM
Would my first wife count ? if so I would use bb gun at close range.:D

FirstFreedom
January 20, 2007, 01:56 PM
Wapiti. Stick, string, & arrow.

Hans
January 20, 2007, 04:09 PM
I would love to take a nice bull elk. Only been elk hunting once, didn't get anything. I also plan to start antelope hunting this year, even if I have to leave my wife to do it (jk).:)

Desertfox
January 21, 2007, 07:17 PM
Carmen Electra. Already tanned. Weapon is censored.

Black Buck in good dominant mating black and white colors. Bow and Arrow.

bulltaco
January 21, 2007, 07:59 PM
I would love to bag a Europeon or Russian Wild Boar with a nice set of tusks brought to bay with a pack of airdales. I'd be toting my Ruger Super Blackhawk 44 mag.

stevelyn
January 22, 2007, 08:42 AM
Mine's bison. I've been applying for drawing permits since I became eligible in 1988. No joy.

I'm not necessarily interested in the trophy as much as I am the full freezer(s). Bison meat is excellent.

UniversalFrost
January 22, 2007, 10:25 AM
Grizzly or kodiak with bow. Mountian lion with blood hounds and pistol (moving to arizona next month and mt. lion tags are over the counter from what I read, so this will happen this year:D ).

FrontSight
January 22, 2007, 01:40 PM
I always wanted a drake mallard, silly, I know, but I just my first on Sunday. Good times, good times...

drvector
January 22, 2007, 09:35 PM
coyote....would like to use a ruger M77 MarkII in 223 (don't have one yet though):p

oldbillthundercheif
January 23, 2007, 09:13 PM
Polar bear.

I grew up watching super-8 footage of my father and a bunch of his buddies lighting up a charging polar bear. They started shooting at 500 yards+, but it did not drop until it was within spitting distance. It had something like 30 holes in it before it decided to die. Tough critters.

The skull is resting peacefully on my bookshelf right now, but it needs a friend.

treg
January 25, 2007, 07:05 PM
Elk, moose, black and brown bear, muley, coyotes, mountain lion, mountain goat, turkey.... the list goes on all w/ a .44, special or mag. Whitetails are o.k. but I need something new. We now have wild hogs in my area, all I gotta do is find 'em!

Jack O'Conner
January 27, 2007, 07:23 AM
http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c146/rushmoreman/redstagfullbody.jpg

http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c146/rushmoreman/ibexsnow.jpg

Red stag and ibex in Europe have always been a daydream for me. I'd likely arrange to rent a rifle from the guide as I prefer not to risk an airline or Customs loss. Any accurate rifle will get the job done as these animals are not armor-plated.

I've never met the hunter with this amazing ibex; the photo was sent to me by a friend.

Jack

stuckon308
January 27, 2007, 11:48 AM
Wow. Both are amazing looking animals. What does the ibex taste like?

Blacktail_Slayer
February 9, 2007, 11:28 PM
I have three I can't decide between.
A giant grizzly, an over 50 inch moose, or a massive blacktail buck,
I live in southwest washington and so i am deffinatly biased, but i just love the dark winter coat and antlers like mulies but more compact, just something about em...
Any of these I would take my browning 30-06, but make sure i got good 180 or 200 grain top quality bullets for either of the first two, 150s for deer

Gbro
February 9, 2007, 11:42 PM
The most important thing for any/all of you is to walk over to the calendar and put the mark on it and make it happen.
My brother-in-laws and i talked, and talked. The day we buried the second one. Herb was 44, and Toby was 51, I went home and marked the calendar. I have been going west every other year since.
GIT_R_DONE

Scorch
February 10, 2007, 02:29 PM
walk over to the calendar and put the mark on it and make it happen.

That's the best advice I've seen on this forum for a while. Several years back, I started going hunting with my brother again every year. Before that we hadn't spoken in 15 years, just always too busy. Pick a date and stick to it. You won't regret it. It'll all be over pretty soon, you don't want to miss any chance to enjoy life.

oldbillthundercheif
February 10, 2007, 05:05 PM
Yeah... but mine is going extinct with the ice caps going away and all the rest of it.

Is there anywhere where Polar Bears are not protected yet? Perhaps one of the sections of Antarctica?
http://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k223/zarganuts/IMG_0130.jpg

Ben Shepherd
February 10, 2007, 06:21 PM
Rocky mountain big horn sheep. Here in Utah it's a once in a lifetime hunt. As in you get one chance, period. You don't get one, too bad.

Long range rile skill is a must, as is absolute peak physical condition.

Don't know as I ever will. I'm not getting any younger.

AZGunLover
February 10, 2007, 06:30 PM
I would love to do an Argentina dove hunt and an African Cape Buffalo hunt.

jrfoxx
February 13, 2007, 08:19 AM
I always though that sniping prarie dogs at a good distance outside a nice little colony of them would be a TON of fun.Never had the chance though, and likly never will....
no real preferance on the gun I guess, but it seems like a decent bolt .223 would do the trick.

sparkysteve
February 13, 2007, 08:36 PM
I've always wanted to go on an elk hunt.

Mossy00
February 13, 2007, 10:54 PM
Maybe I'm old fashion, but I always thought that hunting should be some sort of a challenge. If not, it's very un-sportsman like. In fact, I thought that is, or use to be, the entire point-a challenge. Shooting an animal like a cape buffalo that's twice the size of a cow with a rifle isn't much of a challenge. I would hope anyone that could hit the broad side of a barn would be able to do that. Shot placement becomes a challenge a 10 year old could overcome when you're dealing with an animal that big and a rifle caliber of adequate size.

Capt. Charlie
February 13, 2007, 11:23 PM
Shooting an animal like a cape buffalo that's twice the size of a cow with a rifle isn't much of a challenge.
You should go back & read some of Rich Lucibella's cape buff hunt threads. Some of the greatest hunters on the planet have soiled their pants hunting these bad boys. They're part of the "big five" for good reason ;) .

rem33
February 14, 2007, 12:16 AM
Maybe I'm old fashion, but I always thought that hunting should be some sort of a challenge. If not, it's very un-sportsman like. In fact, I thought that is, or use to be, the entire point-a challenge

That is and can be part, but there's putting meat in the freezer among other aspects. To me is kinda like the Harley Add of a few years ago " if you don't understand I couldn't explain". Now lets not start a motorcycle mess I was just quoting here.

oldbillthundercheif
February 14, 2007, 01:03 AM
Shooting an animal like a cape buffalo that's twice the size of a cow with a rifle isn't much of a challenge. I would hope anyone that could hit the broad side of a barn would be able to do that. Shot placement becomes a challenge a 10 year old could overcome when you're dealing with an animal that big and a rifle caliber of adequate size.

Ha!

Big animals that can kill you are always risky to hunt. You would reconsider your statement if you had a chance to look one of these beasts in the eye at close range.
http://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k223/zarganuts/cape2.jpg

Mossy00
February 14, 2007, 11:26 AM
Most of these hunts are done by vehicle. The majority of the tracking is done on a vehicle. The hunter then steps off the vehicle and uses a tripod to shoot the buffalo-that's a joke. If you're talking about going into botswana on foot, for the entire hunt, camping in botswana for the night then that's a hunt.

rem33
February 14, 2007, 03:09 PM
WOLF! I wanna kill a Wolf.

Gbro
February 25, 2007, 03:47 PM
You better "SHUT UP" if you do.

redhawk41
February 25, 2007, 07:32 PM
You better "SHUT UP" if you do.Actually, if things continue on their current course it will be perfectly legal:

"The state Senate voted 35-0 Tuesday to charge Idaho residents $9.75 to legally hunt a wolf once the predators are removed from federal protection, a development expected this year or early in 2008."

http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/I/ID_XGR_BRF_WOLF_TAGS_IDOL-?SITE=IDBOI&SECTION=US&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT&CTIME=2007-02-20-20-19-46

stuckon308
February 26, 2007, 02:04 AM
Why aren't you allowed to?

Gbro
February 27, 2007, 07:23 AM
The Federal Gov. is just a little posessive about their Dog.

We (in MN) have been "USED", The USWS wanted to re-establish wolves into Wis., and thought by over populating MN it would work. It did, but we would have given thoes Cheese Heads all they wanted anyway. But really, it did work but we all got some negative feeling about it. first was the lying that was done, saying the MN population. was in danger.
Now the wolf is being de-listed. But there are a lot of strings attached.

Yellowfin
February 27, 2007, 12:01 PM
In a perfect world I'd most love to bag an elk or moose to have not only the rack but also a substantial amount of meat to eat. Realistically, the dream hunt I will try to go on will be for antelope or bighorn sheep and I just inherited a pre '64 in .264 that's just the thing to use for it.

Smoke Screen
February 27, 2007, 12:55 PM
CRAZY different varmints...Jackals in Africa, Dingoes in Australia...am I missing any?? :rolleyes:

Kreyzhorse
February 28, 2007, 07:49 PM
I've got two; first is a Kentucky elk. I'm a Kentucky boy and really want a shot at a Kentucky elk. It's a testament to their reintroduction that in such a short time they now huntable.

Second, Cape Buffalo. I read above that a 10 yr old could make the shot on one but I disagree. I want to stalk one on foot and get a shot testing man vs animal. I know that 99.9% of them don't charge and turn deadly, but I would like to try my skills on a massive, bad-tempered animal.

And I'm well above 10yrs old but I'm guessing that whitetail and antelope don't compare....

rem33
February 28, 2007, 08:17 PM
I've got two; first is a Kentucky elk. I'm a Kentucky boy and really want a shot at a Kentucky elk

Great! I didn't know that, good news indeed. I didn't know elk had been reintroduced there.

Here's a dangerous hunt for you.
Maybe this is out of context here but it was hunting, Saw a film once of a Pygmy shoving a long spear into the ribs of a large elephant. He had gotten close keeping foliage between him and the elephant then shoved a long spear head between it's ribs. The elephant started tearing up the country side as the man keeping the brush between Him and the elephant sneaking away. Quite a piece of film.
They said the last man in the village to do that, the elephant had killed him.

FirstFreedom
March 1, 2007, 12:41 AM
To add to prior post, after elk it will be Bison with Bow.