PDA

View Full Version : Rem. 710 vs. Savage 111FCXP vs. Stevens 200 vs. Mossbegr 100ATR

IM_Lugger
January 18, 2007, 02:48 PM
I was looking at Remington 710 but was told (by a number of people) that they're junk. too bad since it's reasonably priced, has a detachable mag, comes with a scope and I liked the looks of the gun...:(

are they really that bad? what's wrong with them :confused:

What about the Savage 111FCXP, Stevens 200 and Mossberg 100ART? out of the four which one is the best rifle? (I will either get a .270 .308 or 30-06)

Thanks

RevolverLover
January 18, 2007, 04:07 PM
I was looking at Remington 710 but was told (by a number of people) that they're junk. too bad since it's reasonably priced, has a detachable mag, comes with a scope and I liked the looks of the gun...

are they really that bad? what's wrong with them

What about the Savage 111FCXP, Stevens 200 and Mossberg 100ART? out of the four which one is the best rifle? (I will either get a .270 .308 or 30-06)

Thanks

Yes, the Remington 710 is that bad. Have you checked one out? The Savage 111FCXP is the pre-accutrigger package gun. I'm not sure what scope and mounts they use but your probably better off just buying the rifle by itself then buying the scope and mounts you want because it would be better quality and be better in the long run. The Stevens 200 is a pre-accutrigger Savage. All the Steven 200's I have checked out are very accurate and had excellent triggers for a "budget" gun. I don't have a experience with the Mossberg 100ART but I haven't heard anything bad about it.

What is going to be the purpose of this rifle?

IM_Lugger
January 18, 2007, 05:02 PM
What is going to be the purpose of this rifle?

Target shooting mainly (long range) maybe some hunting and zombie defence :D

tINY
January 18, 2007, 05:12 PM
I don't like most of the synthetic Savage stocks - they are too flimsy in the forearm.

Remington has a replacement for the 710 due out - that might be worth looking at (750, I think it's called).

You might look at used guns too.

-tINY

stillborn
January 18, 2007, 05:20 PM
Not owning any of those fine firearms myself...... I picked the Savage... That whole accutrigger thing looks pretty sweet, and everyone says they are out of the box accurate.

still

270Win
January 18, 2007, 05:55 PM
Of those four, the Savage is definitely the best.

rantingredneck
January 18, 2007, 05:59 PM
indeed a Savage would be the best of the four. For just a little bit more money you could buy a Remington 700 ADL. Great gun there too.

RevolverLover
January 18, 2007, 06:14 PM
Not owning any of those fine firearms myself...... I picked the Savage... That whole accutrigger thing looks pretty sweet, and everyone says they are out of the box accurate.

The Savage model he was looking at doesn't have the accutrigger.

DBski
January 18, 2007, 06:32 PM
Why is the 710 junk? I have one and use it for deer hunting for the last 4years. It shoots well and have not had any problems with it.

robc
January 18, 2007, 06:35 PM
I own the Stevens 200 in .223 and the Savage 111 in 30-06. The Stevens is amazingly accurate. First day I took that gun out I just shot and grinned, shot and grinned. Seriously, it's sooooo accurate. The 111 is a fine gun, but it's really finicky about ammo. Needs heavy bullets, like over 165, to be happy. May have something to do with twist rate or something... I lack the knowledge on such matters. The 710 is a waste of $. I could go into the details, but this would turn into a long post. I know nothing of the Mossberg. Love their shotguns. The Moss. and the Stevens were both reviewed in the same issue of American Rifleman. The Stevens shot significantly better groups (granted they only tested one of each gun) so I got that. I was NOT disapointed.

IM_Lugger
January 18, 2007, 06:35 PM
Remington 700 ADL?? what model is that? how does it compare to SPS DM?

I'm guessing Rem. 700 SPS would be better than the 4 other choices?

taylorce1
January 18, 2007, 06:46 PM
I've never used the 710 and maybe they have gotten better but I had 3 friends buy the rifle the first year that the model came out. Within the first year all three had to send the rifles back for warranty work. I've stuck to the model 700 and have never had a problem with any of them.

For a bolt rifle don't get hung up on the detachable mag, they really aren't needed. If you are using the rifle for hunting there shouldn't be a need for a rapid reload. I do however like hinged floorplates and they are great for dropping un-fired rounds whithout cycling the bolt. If I'm shooting at the range most of the time I load my rifle single shot anyway so there isn't much of an advantage to a detachable mag IMO.

Check out used rifles if you are looking for a good deal, they are out there. I've picked up a .270 Rem M700 ADL with 4X scope for $250 and an old Savage 110 that was rebarreled to .280 with 3-9X scope for $290. If you look and generally it doesn't take too long you will find good used rifle. The classifieds here is a good place to start.

robc
January 18, 2007, 06:50 PM
Someone who knows more about this stuff help me out here. First off, the fit and finish on the few examples I've looked at were horrible. I mean really horrible. The stock made contact with the barrel in wierd spots, there were little strings of synthetic stock material dangling off, and it actually looked like the action and barrel were in a little kittywampus on one that I looked at. Also, I don't think you can replace the barrel. That's fine if you want to blow the dust off of it every November and go shoot a deer that's not too far away, but for any greater amount of shooting you want to be able to eventually replace the barrel. Also, I think you might be stuck with Remington's idea of a good trigger setting. I know I can change the setting on my 700, my Savage 111 and, obviously, my mod. 12 with the accu-trigger. Maybe someone knows how to adjust one on a 710 (maybe it's even the same as a 700), but I don't, so I wouldn't buy one. Lastly, I know this is totally subjective, but I just didn't like the way the action worked. It felt chunky. Guns can be so subjective in general though. People have said worse things about most every gun I own, but I love them all.

Twycross
January 18, 2007, 06:51 PM
Why is the 710 junk?
I have a 710, and I don't think it's junk. However, it is priced far higher than it should be. It's a decent starter rifle, but when you can make the big step up to a Rem 700 or Savage for just a few dollars more, the 710 just doesn't make sense. If they sold it for $170-180, like the Maverick shotguns, it would be a pretty good buy.

wolverine350
January 18, 2007, 06:59 PM
I have a savage 111 in the package gun , 25-06 caliber , this is the most accurate rifle i have ever owned, will shoot 5 shots into a dime at 100 yards, by far a better gun than the 710, it has the accu trigger as well and is oh so sweeeeet:D

Kreyzhorse
January 18, 2007, 07:30 PM
I have a 7mm Rem Mag Savage package gun. Mine actually is the woodstock model 110 (I think that's the correct model without looking at it.). Hands down this is a great accurate gun. I've had zero issues with and could not be more pleased with the gun. Savage's reputation for accuracy is well deserved. Buy the gun, ditch the rings and scope. Both are cheap as hell.

stillborn
January 18, 2007, 10:44 PM
Mybad Revolverlover,... he should definately get the accutrigger though... it sounds sweeet.

IM_Lugger
January 19, 2007, 02:37 PM
how much does the scope cost that comes with the Savage? I think it's a Simmons 3-9x 40 8 point, how much would it cost to get it and mounts separatelly? Btw it a good scope (I've always been iron sight kinda guy)

Is the Savage (scope aside) that much better them Stevens 200?

gmarr
January 19, 2007, 05:15 PM
I don't know why people are calling the 710 'junk'. I have one in .30-06 and enjoy it quite a bit. It fits very good, has good balance, and shoots as good as I need it to. Quite accurate with factory 150 to 180 grain loads.

I'm not comparing it to a 'high-end' rifle, that's not why I got it. But it's a good shooter and I don't mind getting it dirty, wet, or banged around in the woods. I guess everyone has opinions but, my experience has been good.

Davis
January 21, 2007, 08:52 AM
The problem is that the 710 costs more than the Stevens and the Mossberg, and the same as the Savage. It is very clearly the lowest quality in construction (stock, bolt, receiver). It is made cheaply, as cheap as one can make a rifle. It is designed to be thrown away as there are very few repairable parts in the 710. More importantly, it is something akin to Picasso drawing an X on a piece of paper and selling it for $10,000. Remington drew an x on a piece of paper and expect everyone to pay more money for it than the competition. The Mossberg, Savage, and Stevens rifles are superior designs. . Consider that the receiver is soft steel, the barrel is pressed in (not even pinned into place), the action relies on plastic for smoothness, which serves more to make it spongy than smooth. The plastic bolt cap is, well, plastic. It costs considerably less to produce the 710 than the other rifles. The mark up on the 710 is gigantic compared to the Stevens or Mossberg.

The 710 is a dead end rifle. Once you get it, that's it. The only improvement that can be made is a better scope. On the Savage and Stevens, you can upgrade the stock, change the caliber, improve the trigger, customize as much as you wish. The options are almost infinitely broader. With the Mossberg, you can at least change out the caliber and perhaps the trigger. If you get a 710 and realize the stock really is cheaply made, you're out of luck as there isn't a thing you can do about it except get another rifle. If you buy the Stevens and discover the stock is a crappy as the 710's stock, what luck, you can replace it with a huge variety of stocks out there.

The 710 is a serviceable rifle that will shoot with reasonable accuracy and will give a reasonable service life. Enjoy yours. However, for the money you spent, you could have gotten a better rifle. That is the real point. For the money, compared to the Stevens and Mossberg, the Remington is the most expensive but the poorest quality. The name stamped on the rifle is a bit too expensive. And, if you have to have Remington on the rifle, then eat Ramen noodles for a week, spend an extra $60 and get a 700, which is a great rifle.

Davis

Davis
January 21, 2007, 10:06 AM
The Savage is better than the Stevens only in the accutrigger. Any Savage without accutrigger (such as some of the 111's, which is odd since the 111 used to be the deluxe model) is fundamentally the same as the Stevens.

I suppose you could say the Stevens is the Plymouth Breeze and the Savage the Dodge Stratus (by example). You could get the Plymouth that was as good as a Stratus. The real difference is the Stevens name, which will not be worth as much as the Savage name. In practice, though, there is no difference.

Davis

tINY
January 22, 2007, 04:10 AM
Have you shot an accutrigger?

It's worth the price of the Savage name for that trigger unless you are on a really tight budget, or plan on short, quick shots (where a really good trigger doesnlt help you much.....

-tINY

Gewehr98
January 22, 2007, 03:30 PM
Every bit the same gun as the Savage, minus the silly AccuTrigger. ;)