PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a certain type of rifle

Jared Nichols
January 16, 2007, 05:46 PM
Hey all, I was wondering if anyone could help point me in the right direction.

I'm in the market for a new rifle, and I would like to get something as close to the old Winchester Model 100's as possible. Here is a great example of what I'm looking for:

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=64008182

I'm not quite in the financial position yet to buy the above rifle, but that is pretty on the money for what I'm looking for. Yet, I've read that these model rifles are somewhat rare, and I'm not sure if I'll be able to find one readily in my area once I'm ready to purchase one. I was wondering if anyone knew of any rifles that are similar enough to the Winchester that I would consider buying one as a substitute.

The major things for me are that the rifle has to be semi-auto, chambered in .308 Win with detatchable mags, but it has to retain that traditional hunting rifle look as opposed to the black guns of doom that are so common now-a-days.

Any advice is welcome, thanks in advance.

rem33
January 16, 2007, 06:32 PM
Remington make a rifle that I think would meet your criteria, 7600 is the model number.
I had a Winchester 100 308 carbine. It was a nice gun my kid killed a elk with it but it would sometimes be picky with handloads so I unfortunately sold it.

taylorce1
January 16, 2007, 06:38 PM
Remington makes it in the model 740/7400, the 760/7600 are pump rifles. The 740's can be found used in most gun/pawn shops for less than $300 with a little talking most of the ones I've found have been .30-06. You can pick up a new 7400 for around $400 in a synthetic stock. The 760/7600 rifle is a good one and I wouldn't turn down a good deal on one if you find one.

TexasCop
January 16, 2007, 09:22 PM
+1 on the 7400 series. My father in law owns a pre-740 model and I own a 742 that I got used for just under 300.

They are out there, reliable, and enjoyable to shoot.

I've heard lots of problems about replacement parts for them, but neither my father in law or I have had any problems yet.

Clayfish
January 16, 2007, 10:11 PM
The only thing I can think of is the remmy 7400. I had one in .270 and I never had any problems from it. It was also plenty accurate. I wanted one in .308 but I couldn't find one so I settled for the .270. I would probably still have it if I had found a .308. They are not as tempermental as people say but you do have to keep them relatively clean. YOu shoul be able to find a used one for around $300.

Scorch
January 17, 2007, 12:50 AM
I would second the recommendation for the Remington. The Winchester 100 is a good rifle, but they haven't made them in almost 40 years, so getting parts may become an issue.

robc
January 17, 2007, 12:57 AM
One of my friends (who hunts more but shoots less than I do) has one. He came with me to the range, and I could not get comfortable with that gun to save my life. My cheekbone, right under the eye, had to be glued to the comb for me to sight down the barrel. Jim (buddy) has no problem with it, but you may want to shoot one b-4 you buy.

Ruger4570
January 17, 2007, 01:03 AM
You aren't going to find too many cheap Model 100's anymore. They have sort of reached a "cult" status. I still have a Model 100 Carbine in 284 Win and I have always liked the gun along with the almost identical 88, except for the lever LOL. I too would suggest the 7400 as the closest thing you are going to find quickly. I have of course seen some 100's for a lot less, so if time is no object,, just keep looking, one may pop up

tINY
January 17, 2007, 03:18 AM
There are BAR mk 2 rifles in 308 - but they may be a bit out of your price range.

-tINY