PDA

View Full Version : I want a 22 Target pistol. Which one?

Z400ACDC
January 15, 2007, 12:34 PM
I want somethind that is fun to shoot, without braking the bank. A friend of mine has a Ruger and he really likes it. What else sould I look at? THANKS!

automag2
January 15, 2007, 01:06 PM
Ruger works for me. The browning buckmark is also a good choice.

9x19
January 15, 2007, 01:18 PM
I have Rugers, Brownings and a Sig Trailside.

They are all good pistols, though I'd opt for a Browning over the Mk III Rugers... just pick the one you like best.

hdawson228
January 15, 2007, 01:20 PM
I really like my S&W 22A. Functions perfectly and very accurate. Did I mention inexpensive? Feels great in my hand and a very good trigger and adjustable sights. What more could I want? :cool:

mikejonestkd
January 15, 2007, 01:22 PM
For a nice fun shooting accurate .22 pistol then look at the browning, ruger, find an sig trailside ( no longer made ). Also look at the old colt woodsmans. try as many as you can find before you buy. I loved the ruger and was all set to purchase one till I held a browning buckmark and it just seemed to fit better for me. All are good to excellent quality...I still want a stainless fluted ruger...the smith 22 is also nice buy didn't feel right in my hand.

it you want to step up and get a really nice .22 target pistol then look no further than the high standard 106 or 107 models from before 1980 or the excellent smith 41.

truthfulhawk
January 15, 2007, 01:39 PM
I suggest the Ruger Mark3 they have a nice target model. the SW 22A is a cheaper choise that is very good too.

skeeter1
January 15, 2007, 01:43 PM
I like my Beretta 87, but someday I hope to get a S&W 41. Both expensive, however.

Go try out a Beretta Neos, Browning Buckmark, S&W 22A, and see which one feels best in your hand. There are no losers in that group.

DataMax
January 15, 2007, 02:26 PM
You really cannot go wrong with any of the fine firearms mentioned so far ... but I thought I would throw my .02 in any way.

I have 2 Ruger Mk II, both are what was known as the Govt. model and came from the factory with the test target inside. I bought one in blue and one in stainless. They are both tack drivers. Test target on the blued one measured 3/4" and the stainless one shows 5/8".

as the years went by and my eyes got tired I put a 2 power scope on the stainless version. Let me tell you ... for head shots on small critters it's the Cat's Meow :-)

Z400ACDC
January 15, 2007, 03:24 PM
A gun shop in town has a SS Ruger mark2. It had a barrel with groves cut in it. He may have called it a bull barrel? It had the mounts for a scope. He ask $315. Is the mark 3 better?

Logs
January 15, 2007, 03:32 PM
Since I grew up in BG, I suggest you drive up to Whittakers in Owensboro, KY.

Heck of a selection and the prices are great.

If you want an inexpensive target gun that is light weight go with the Smith 22A. If you really want something nicer than the Ruger Slabside is great. Gen 2 or Gen 3 are fine.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v702/moreammoplz/DSC04660.jpg

Not sure what shops are left in Vette City, I grew up with J & M gun shop, Big Boys Toys Winderness Outfitters and All About Sports, none of which are still in business. :(

Peter M. Eick
January 15, 2007, 03:48 PM
http://pages.sbcglobal.net/eickpm/87t.jpg

I sold my Ruger to get one of these. Best choice I made. Here is something like 200 shots at 15 yards when I was just playing around with it.

NCHornet
January 15, 2007, 04:41 PM
I have the Ruger slab side target model pictured above. I put a red dot halo scope on mine and this thing will pop a squirrel out of a tree at 50 yards no problem. Probably the gun I enjoy shooting the most. This is not a cheap gun, but it is one of the best!!

Z400ACDC
January 15, 2007, 04:47 PM
How long of barrel sould I get?

parrothead2581
January 15, 2007, 05:01 PM
+1 for the Ruger MKII. I absolutely love my Govt. Model one. SS, more accurate than me, and built like a tank. I plan on putting some Hogue grips with a thumbrest on it soon.
Handle a few. Try a few out. Then get which one fits YOU best.

stephen426
January 15, 2007, 05:13 PM
I'd have to say Browning Buckmark. I've had mine for over 10 years and I love it. The grip angle is much more natural than the Rugers (other than the .22-45). The accuracy is incredible and the trigger is great. The price is also very good as they start around $200. There are fancier models, but even the basic one is great.

Geoff Timm
January 15, 2007, 05:30 PM
Barrel length styles come and go.

I'm very happy with my 5 1/2 Bull Barrel Ruger Mk. II target pistol for accuracy.

For just plinking however my Little Walther P22 is nice, but not nearly as accurate as the purpose designed target pistol.

Geoff
Who notes his Ruger can deliver amazing accuracy.

joe1347
January 15, 2007, 05:56 PM
First, How much are you willing to spend initially and Second, to keep the initial price down, would you be willing to upgrade your base pistol to something much more competitive?

CrustyFN
January 15, 2007, 07:41 PM
Ruger

http://www.thefiringline.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=21893&stc=1&d=1167179545

http://www.thefiringline.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=21894&stc=1&d=1167179545

http://www.thefiringline.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=21895&stc=1&d=1167179545

Baphomet
January 15, 2007, 08:42 PM
Another vote for the Ruger. It's good to go out of the box and has after market parts support if you decide you want something competition ready:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v149/Baphomet/RugerMKII3.jpg

Not the greatest this pistol has ever shot, this is just a target I happen to have a photo of that happens to be handy (25 yards, CCI Mini Mag HP's, lightly benched). On a good day I wouldn't have trigger-slapped that seven o'clock shot:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v149/Baphomet/Target002.jpg

stephen426
January 15, 2007, 09:36 PM
Not the greatest this pistol has ever shot, this is just a target I happen to have a photo of that happens to be handy (25 yards, CCI Mini Mag HP's, lightly benched). On a good day I wouldn't have trigger-slapped that seven o'clock shot:

Thats some damn fine shooting and thats a great looking pistol too. You might shock yourself if you used some good quality target ammo instead of that Mini Mag junk. I have also heard that shooting the high velocity stuff can burn out target barrels much faster than standard velocity target ammo. My Buckmark can shoot a lot better than I can, especially after I swapped the original 5.5" standard barrel for the 5.5" full bull barrel target barrel. I just wish I had more time to spend at the range instead of sitting on the computer thinking about going to the range. :o

jsflagstad
January 15, 2007, 10:12 PM
I really like my Neos. Shoots great with no issues in about 2000 rounds. Can be had for $300 or less usually....

JSF

Z400ACDC
January 15, 2007, 11:19 PM
Would you get the new Mark 3 or a used Mark 2? What is a good price for a used 2?

FR Baseball
January 16, 2007, 12:35 AM
The S&W 422/622 is also a great little plinker, you could pick up one used for around $200.

whip1
January 16, 2007, 10:22 AM
I just recently bought a Browning Buckmark Camper. I also looked at the Ruger, Neos, and S&W 22a. I couldn't find a Ruger below 300. Gander Mountain had the other three around 200. The Buckmark felt better to me. A friend bought the Neos. I think they are all good guns, and it comes down to price and preference.

rcupka
January 16, 2007, 11:27 AM
I have the Ruger Mark II 678 Target. It has adjustable sights, 6 7/8 inch heavy barrel (taper not bull). I love it, the balance is great with this barrel length, my buddy has a ten inch and it is so nose heavy it gets very tiring shoot. I added the Hogue target grips and it is perfect for a right hander. I paid $209 used a t a local Gander Mountain, with two mags and a holster. When I have had shooting sessions with my brother, father, and son-in-laws they all can't wait for their turn with it.

Z400ACDC
January 16, 2007, 05:22 PM
Well, I bought a Ruger mark 3 hunter today with a BSA red dot scope. I can't wait to shoot it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

CrustyFN
January 18, 2007, 05:50 PM
Congratulations. You will be very happy with the Ruger. Let us know how it shoots.
Rusty

edmorales
January 19, 2007, 04:13 AM
anyone ever tried the colt woodsman?

rp-houston
January 19, 2007, 05:18 AM
edmorales,

I just saw a Colt Woodsman on line. I think it was about $350 used. Great looking gun, it's got me wondering too. Have not seen or heard of this model before ( I'm new at this...) Anyone who knows this gun care to comment?

lev83
January 19, 2007, 06:29 AM
I would have no hesitation recommending a Ruger MKII 512 but would als encourage you to save your money and get a true target gun the S&W Model 41. both are excellent shooters but fit & finish of the S&W is truly worth the extra $.

mikejonestkd
January 19, 2007, 10:06 AM
I have a second series colt woodsman made in 1949 and it looks as nice as the day it left the factory. It is a 6" target model with adj sights and it outshoots several of my more expensive .22 pistols. The feel is great and it points very naturaly. I recommend them highly!!!! nicely balanced, fantastic fit and finish and they aren't too expensive to find. Colt made a ton of the third series and they are still fairly easy to find on gunbroker.com

That being said, my buckmarks get much more range time as plinkers. they handles like a pickup truck compared to the way my other .22autos which feel like a sports car. BUT, the buckmarks are the ones that I always end up shooting the most.

CrustyFN
January 20, 2007, 12:32 PM
I saw a Colt Woodsman at the pawn shop the other day for $600.:eek: I have never fired one, are they really that nice?
Rusty

rp-houston
January 21, 2007, 02:42 AM
Just a thought for those of you looking for a new 22lr. I recently bought a Browning Buckmark SS camper w/5.5" bull barrel. Chose it over the Ruger only because I liked the grips better out of the box. Have enjoyed it very much.
Now that I've had it for a little while, I inquired about putting a red dot scope on it and found out that it requires a new rail to mount the scope. Here is my point, there are several models (Browning or Ruger) out there that already have this rail with the gun out of the box. Think ahead before you buy. I wish that I had.

wolverine350
January 21, 2007, 02:48 AM
Ruger all the way:D

akr
January 21, 2007, 03:03 AM
You'll probably have to have both eventually. That's the thing about these guns. You always want the one you don't have, even if you like the one you have. It's a disease.

RonJ
January 21, 2007, 06:02 PM
How are the triggers on the Rugers? I once owned an original Standard model. Perfectly reliable with everything I fed it, but the trigger was awful.

JoeHatley
January 21, 2007, 06:23 PM
I bought a Ruger mark 3 hunter today with a BSA red dot scope

I've found that to be a pretty fun combo.
http://www.iowatelecom.net/~hatley/mkii_r.jpg

Joe

joe1347
January 21, 2007, 09:10 PM
How are the triggers on the Rugers? I once owned an original Standard model. Perfectly reliable with everything I fed it, but the trigger was awful.

Yep. The factory trigger is awful at about 7 lbs out-of-the-box - likely thanks to product liability lawyers. Fortunately, for about $20 and some of your time, the factory sear can be replaced by a Volquartsen sear to bring the trigger pull down to a match quality 2 lbs.

http://www.rimfiresports.com/merchant.mv?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=RSC&Product_Code=VC2TS&Category_Code=VC2

http://www.rimfiresports.com/graphics/00000001/VC2TS.jpg

As for installation, it's actually not that difficult and you can find plenty of help on the MKIII forum.

http://www.mkiii.org/forum/

JohnLizCas
January 21, 2007, 09:33 PM
Gotta go with the older High Standard Supermatic Citation. Finest and most accurate pitol I own. Wouldn't trade it for any other pistol. John:D

rantingredneck
January 21, 2007, 10:02 PM
Just bought a Mark III22/45 yesterday and was downright impressed with the out of box accuracy. I don't think the trigger on mine feels that heavy personally, but I'll definitely look into the volquartsen sear for it too.

OldShooter
January 22, 2007, 08:32 PM
If you buy a basic Buckmark, a rail can be added for $30 or less, depending on where you shop. It doesn't require a gunsmith, just two screws.

I have both a Buckmark and a Ruger and shoot them both with iron sights.

wolverine350
January 22, 2007, 11:12 PM
I just got a new Ruger 22/45 MKIII and it is a sweet shooting gun, very accurate and is a blast to shoot:D

allenomics
February 10, 2007, 09:13 PM
Ruger Mark III or Ruger MKIII. The best barrel length for your needs might be 5.5". They vary from 4" to 6.875". You can buy a MKIII 512 (5.5" with the 1911 grip) for about $250 (may take some checking. The MSPR is about $307.).

BongoFury
February 10, 2007, 10:47 PM
The Ruger is a great pistol. Just don't take it apart for cleaning unless you know what you're doing.

Haterade
February 11, 2007, 01:01 AM
I like my Ruger MkIII target.

http://i97.photobucket.com/albums/l204/foshizzle321/ruger003.jpg

I shoot it pretty well with the big red-dot on it. I think I paid 250 for mine used. It's not hard to take apart and put back together after you do it a few times. I think that is a big misconception about Ruger semiautos... that they are hard to take down. They really aren't. I can field strip mine and put it back together in probably 2 minutes. But, who actually cleans it often enough to worry. Trigger is funk... volquartsen (sp) makes some pretty sweet uppers for Ruger pistols and a good vq trigger should run you just over a bill. I have heard it's well worth it.