PDA

View Full Version : Ruger .300 WSM M77-Mark II

buckeye718
January 2, 2007, 10:40 PM
I bought this rifle at a very resonable price in the hopes i can get away long enough to use it out west. It is stainless steel/synthedic. Any advice on a good scope that will with stand the shock of this rifle & not break the bank? Also any advice on standard ammo. Want a flat shooting, hard hitting load for elk. thanks

Hello123
January 2, 2007, 11:42 PM
Nikon Prostaff 3x9x40, around $150. Check Optic Zone, Optic Planet, and SWFA.

DonR101395
January 2, 2007, 11:50 PM
I'll echo Hello. The ProStaff is good. The Monarch can be had for around $80 more. That's what I put on my MKII 30-06.

taylorce1
January 2, 2007, 11:54 PM
Any Leupold VX-I or VX-II, Bushnell Elite 3200/4200 series, you can even find some Zeiss Conquest models for under $300 if you watch for them. You could probably even go cheaper on the scopes with Simmons Atec, Weaver Grand Slam, or Bushnell Legend or Trophy series scopes. I don't know what your budget is but don't be afraid to spend $200+ on a scope, I think there more important than the caliber of rifle most of the time.

As far as ammo buy some different factory rounds and see what shoots the best for you. For elk I'd use 165 or 180 grain bullets, but 150's would work if that is what shoots the best for you. Save the brass WSM ammo isn't very cheap and learning how to reload will get you more range time. Make sure what you practice with is what you hunt with.

Kentucky Deer Hunter
January 3, 2007, 08:43 AM
I just bought a Nikon Prostaff 3-9x40 in Silver for my Ruger M77 Stainless/Synthetic .30-06 at Dicks Sporting Goods for 149.99. After I bought I found it brand new on eBay for cheaper than that. The best part was that I got it in Silver!

I would definitely go for the Nikon Prostaff 3-9x40, it is just as good as a Leupold VX1 and not quite as good as a VX2. My theory is, this is going to be my knock around gun (actually take it out of the safe and go deer hunting with it). So if something happens to the scope then I'm not out $250+. However, if you are looking to shoot it at the range (which would be a LONG day with a 300WSM and probably not the caliber of choice for target shooting), I would purchase a higher power scope and spend more money.

For what you are going to use it for, the Nikon should do just fine. Just my .02...

buckeye718
January 3, 2007, 12:00 PM
I got on ebay and found it in silver for 125 buy it now 10 shipping. new in box w/ warrenty. Thanks for all of your help. basspro has a product reveiw that was also very helpful.This scope gets alot of praise cant wait to get it and try it out. Thanks again i was really leaning toward the leupold vx-1 until you told me about this one.

dairyland
January 4, 2007, 12:43 AM
The Nikon ProStaff 3-9x40 is a good choice. My oldest son has one on his .300 WSM Browning A-Bolt Stainless Stalker /w BOSS, I just bought one this past fall for my .30-06 Remington 760 pump, and my wife will be buying a .30-06 Browning BAR Safari w/ BOSS this year and will top it off with the same scope.