PDA

View Full Version : Iron sight removal?

tpr223
December 28, 2006, 09:01 PM
I have a Rem 700. I'm considering taking the iron sights off to reduce the optical offset of the scope. What are your thoughts on removing iron sights. If it's not a bad idea what size plug screws are needed to fill the holes in the barrel. If it is bad idea what are the best see thru type mounts. Thanks for your comments.

Art Eatman
December 28, 2006, 09:12 PM
I'd much rather have the low mounts for a better cheek weld on the stock than to use see-through mounts. I dunno; I've always thought those were a solution looking for a problem.

Probably a #8 screw, but I don't know the threads/inch.

Art

Dave Haven
December 28, 2006, 10:00 PM
Factory sights are attached with 6-48 screws.

taylorce1
December 28, 2006, 10:10 PM
I never take the factory sights off of my rifles. If you use at least a 3 power scope you will never see the sights in the scope. If the rear sight isn't interfering with the mounting of the scope there shouldn't be a reason to remove it. In fact I wish that more of my rifles had iron sights on them, my .30-06 is a Rem 700 ADL and I'm using a Leupold QR rings and base with a 3-9x40 Bushnell Elite 3200. I don't see either of the sight in the scope and have the added insurance of the sights on the rare occurrence of a scope failure.

Scribe
December 29, 2006, 04:27 AM
I would go with Taylorce1. I have a mauser K98 with the XS aperture sights fitted. It also has the XS scout mount which holds a Burris 2.75 scope very low above the breach. The front post is invisible through the scope and I barely notice the rear aperture, which has the larger of the two rings that Ashley outdoors supplied.
I would prefer to keep the irons on the rifle if it is going off the range.