PDA

View Full Version : Pawn shop garand

Q.C.
December 19, 2006, 08:48 PM
I just found a Springfield armory (very clean) garand at a pawn shop for $745.00. The barrel is a little dark, but still shines (rifleing looks good). This is the lowest price on one this nice that Ive been able to find (gun shows wanting 1200.00+). Just wanted to run it up the flag pole & see what you fellers thought.
Thanks Q.C.

USMCG_HMX1
December 19, 2006, 08:53 PM
Could be a great fixer-upper. If I had the cash I wouldn't think twice.

Kris

Tom2
December 19, 2006, 09:45 PM
Does it have any import marks on the barrel? As I recall alot of them were imported from Korea and the like in the last decade, and you might run into parts that are worn and need replacement as they were fairly heavily used by Koreans. At the prices they were imported at, they were a good starting point for rebuilding and fixing up into good shooters, but without guaging the barrel I can't say if it is a good deal at that price or not. If the barrel is worn out, I would expect to pay maybe less by as much as 1-200 at a show. The Garands are not bringing as much money as carbines in the same condition these days, maybe due to the fact that you can get the rifles thru CMP while carbine sources dried up years ago. If you need anything substantial replaced on it, like an op rod or barrel, you will have to spend a good amount in addition to the cost you have. But heck, I bought a Garand last year for 650, that looked OK, but had a hidden defect. So I sent it out, got that fixed, and while it was out had them refinish the metal and stock. Now it is a beauty even though I had to get it worked to make a shooter out of it. Surplusrifleforum.com has plenty of Garand experts to advise, even though I think you have to sign up to see the forums. Just use the same name and password as you do here, to avoid forgetting.

pesta2
December 20, 2006, 09:10 AM
How much the grand has went up in cost! I bought mine about 10 years ago for $500. I thought that was expensive then!

shield20
December 20, 2006, 11:12 AM
Prices on Garands can be all over - and should be. An original collectable will easily be twice what you are looking at, a parts gun or import much less. If you are just looking for a shooter, then you should take a good look at the bore, chamber and barrel. Do you want to restore it? Is it a CMP rifle? Many parts are drawing number marked - NOT serial number marked so will not match, but will tell roughly when the part was made.

To understand more of what you are getting, you can check the various markings and style of parts. Does the barrel match the receiver? check inside the op rod gap when the rod is retracted - is it an original SA barrel? Does the date match the build of the receiver serial #? Is the chamber in the white or has it been re=parked? Does the stock have any cartouches? P proofs? rebuild marks? Is the op rod "cut" (notched where the handle meets the rod)? What style sights are on it? What style trigger guard? What are the markings on the trigger group and other parts? (SA WRA, HRA, IHC)?

Eghad
December 20, 2006, 12:30 PM
I purchased mine which was a Blue Sky Import from Korea back in the early 90s for about $200.00. I just recently sent it to DGR and when he stripped it down some of the parts needed replacing. Altogether the rifle cost and the custom work came to around $1400.00 total. But now its like a brand new rifle....:D

U.S.SFC_RET
December 20, 2006, 04:50 PM
Congratulations on the Garand by the way. You did yourself a big favor in buying one. Perfectly balanced shooters when shooting while standing up and you can shoot them all day long, unlike most other 30-06 caliber rifles out there. Fun to shoot and I equate rescuing an M1 Garand to rescuing a German shepherd dog.
I have a pair of them myself and kick myself in the pants for letting one go that shot 3'' groups. Jousters is a good forum to find out info on your rifle, it is a pretty active website. Good luck and accurize it.

Q.C.
December 21, 2006, 07:41 PM
Thanks for the replies guys. Unfortunatley I do not have answers to all of your questions as I have not gotten it out of layaway yet. Will let you know when I do.

Thanks Deadeye

Rimrod
December 21, 2006, 11:50 PM
I found one in a pawn shop about 20 years ago, well before the Korean issued ones flooded the market. I had just gotten married and couldn't talk the blushing bride into it. It was an unfired National Match and they were asking $400.

30Cal
December 22, 2006, 12:20 PM
I would make sure of two things--that it's got a 4-groove barrel and that the serial number on the rear of the receiver is appropriate for the drawing number (which can be found on the right sight forward, under the wood).

Back in the 70's and 80's, many Garands were made by welding up scrapped receiver halves. M1 barrels were refurbished by sleeving an 1903A3 barrel.

Ty