PDA

View Full Version : Stevens 200

chevyguy
December 12, 2006, 10:26 PM
Hey guys,

I am thinking about getting a Stevens 200 in 308 do any of you have one? How is it? I cant really afford to spend 1200 or more for a " sniper type rifle" (you know for those unreully milk jugs, and cans) for my small collection. How do you think this one would be with a decent scope and bipod?

Thanks in advance

Chevyguy

rem33
December 12, 2006, 11:52 PM
I have heard they are the same as Savage without the accutriger and a less expensive stock. For what your wanting they should be just fine.

FirstFreedom
December 13, 2006, 12:14 AM
Lots of guys start out with the Stevens 200 as a base for slowly building a precision rifle as funds permit. Out of the box, it will be a performer with good ammo. As time goes on, get a better stock, better trigger, maybe glass and/or pillar bed job, and upgrade optics, etc. I'd say go for it - you won't be disappointed.

fourrobert13
December 13, 2006, 01:31 AM
I am also looking at this very same rifle. It has gotten some good reviews in a couple of the gun magazines. If all goes right, hopefully after the holidays, I will get one.

chevyguy
December 13, 2006, 04:56 PM
Thanks guy's,

Yes afetr the holidays I will hopefully be able to hunt one down:D

Chevyguy

tINY
December 14, 2006, 12:36 AM
Before you get the bipod, check the deflection of the forend - you don't want the stock to touch the barrel if you can help it. It'll likely give you accuracy problems, especially if you are using a bipod.

-tINY

chevyguy
December 14, 2006, 09:41 PM
Thanks I had not thought of that

chevyguy

stormspotter
December 15, 2006, 11:12 PM
Just joined The Firing Line so I thought I would jump right in.

I have a Stevens 200 in 223 Remington and like it very much. I also have a Savage 10FP in 223 but I also wanted a light carry around rifle with a 1 in 9" twist. I put an earlier model Tasco World Class on 3X9 on it and it will shoot under 1" groups with several of my handloads.

The Stevens 200's are made on the same machinery as the Savages. The stock is on the lighter side, but I found a used Savage short action wood stock and it fits the Stevens fine.

I have been very pleased with mine and feel they are one of the best buys around.

Fremmer
December 16, 2006, 12:12 AM
Good info, Storm and Tiny. I'd like to find one in .308 Win.

shadowwodahs
December 21, 2006, 06:26 PM
The 308 is not as accurate as the 223 for some reason. The 308 leaves the factory if it can shoot 3 inch groups at 100 yards. The 223 will shoot sub-MOA at 100 yards per several gun forums that I have read. Savage say's 69 grain bullets are best with this gun since it has a 1 in 9 twist rate! If you decide to get a 308, call Savage to see which grain bullet they reccomend for best accuracy. It all depends on what you are going to do with the rifle - I use mine for target shooting as I don't hunt. I figure if I can shoot under 1 inch at 200 yards, then this can be a serious survival/personal defense weapon.

rezmedic54
December 22, 2006, 10:20 AM
I have one in 7 mm Rem Mag. I had to stiffen the stock up a little but other than that I love it . Started to break in the barrel per Savage. I decided to try out the new Wolf Gold line ammo and was impressed at 100 yds. 5/8 inch groups with this ammo. So now I have a great rifle that shoots pretty good groups on Cheap ammo can't ask for more now can you. Be Safe Out There Kurt

Jimro
December 22, 2006, 11:08 AM
I have an older savage 10FP (without accutrigger, flat rear) in 308, it shoots plenty accurate. 3" groups at 100 sounds like bad (ie surplus) ammo. With handloads mine is sub MOA at least out to 200 yards (1.5 inch five shot group).

I replaced the factory trigger with a Timney, well worth the money in my opinion. Don't know if the newer factory triggers still use a flat spring, but if they do, you'll want to replace it eventually.

The Stevens 200 is a good starting point for a homebuilt custom, and it's a darn good rifle in it's own right.

Jimro

lg_mouth
December 22, 2006, 01:32 PM
I am new here as well and wanted to put my $.02 in on the Stevens 200. I love mine in .243, but have read over on savageshooters.com that putting a bipod on one may harm your accuracy because of the flex in the flimsy stock.

I would also recommend, that if you are keeping the factory stock, to sand down the rough edges and paint it with some Krylon Fusion. I painted mine OD green, which is a much better color than light gray!

Lg_mouth