PDA

View Full Version : When buying a MP5 clone >>>>>

shooter71
December 9, 2006, 11:52 AM
is the main thing i need to look for is the corect barrel length, which is 16in right? ive seen some of the MP5 clones and they have the short barrel, is that legal to own? or should i stay away from those? i actually like the ones with the 16in barrel and the fake suppressor

some ive been checking out are from-

--Bobcat
--Vector
--Rapid Fire
--Vulcan

seems like Atlantic Firearms carries most of the above mentioned products

i just want to make sure i do everything on the up and up and legal

and since im on the subject..wouldnt this give the 9mm round a little more stopping power since its traveling through a 16in barrel instead of a 3-5in barrel in a handgun..the reason i ask is i see these clones in 40SW to but i would think getting mags would be easier and more abundant for the 9mm

BUSTER51
December 9, 2006, 11:56 AM
I'm sure you will be fine with most listed ,I would favor Vector. you can also get a SBR tax stamp and get a short barrel.

Travismaine
December 9, 2006, 03:07 PM
Or just get a MG and use any barrel you want..

Travis

shaggy
December 9, 2006, 04:35 PM
You can buy one with a short barrel (<16") if you have it transfered to you through a class 3 dealer in your state as an SBR. The manufacturers and retailers of the short barreled guns are not going to sell one without going through the proper transfer process. If you buy one and later decide you want it with a short barrel, you can file a form 1 with the NFA Branch at BATFE and cut the barrel down yourself (or have a good smith do it for you).

FWIW, you might also want to take a look at www.lusausa.com Its not exactly an HK94 clone, but from what I've heard, a fairly good gun and probably better quality than some of the 94 type clones.

Houndog
December 9, 2006, 06:20 PM
Shooter - under 16" barrel is a SBR and requires appropriate ATF paperwork and $200 tax stamp. However, I BELIEVE that if the gun is originally built without a stock you can have a shorter barrel since its not considered a rifle. (However, I would double check this).

Of the Mfg. you listed DO NOT BUY A VULCAN/HESSE. They are total crap.

Of the remaining companies IMHO Vector is the best. I have had some personal experience with them and they stand behind their products 100%.

I'm not sure if ORF is currently making clones and don't know much about Bobcat.

Destructo6
December 9, 2006, 08:00 PM
In order:
Vector
Rapid Fire
Bobcat (SW/TacWeapons/etc)
Vulcan makes the list somewhere down below, "No MP5 clone."

Just get the 16" version and buy a E&L MP5SD shroud if you want to conceal the freakishly long barrel.