PDA

View Full Version : Assembling an AR-15 rather than buying one complete

73dodgedart
December 3, 2006, 09:01 PM
Someone told me that its cheaper to assemble your oun AR rather than outright buy one. Is this true? And if so how much cheaper? I know you can get a bushmaster from a sporting goods store for about $850. What all do you need to assemble one? Thanks just trying to get an idea on what to get next.:D

CharlieBrown
December 3, 2006, 09:21 PM
depends on what you pay for a lower

i bought 4 lowers..way back when..60 bucks per ithink

parts kits where 325 or so..sans stripped lowers

built 4..sold 2 and had the other two.. a car15 and a hbar free and clear

DnPRK
December 3, 2006, 09:26 PM
Tools needed are:
Workbench with sturdy vise
Upper receiver block
Barrel nut wrench
Adjustable crescent wrench
Gunsmithing screwdriver set with allen bits
Pin punch set
Small hammer
Jeweler's file set
Masking tape
A clear gallon ziplock bag

The only items that are unique to the AR are the receiver block and barrel nut wrench. You should have the other things already (or be prepared to turn in your man card).

JimJD
December 3, 2006, 09:28 PM
Try this site out if you haven't already:

http://www.ar15.com/

Lots of AR specific info and a couple of guides on how to build your own.

I'm looking at Stag Arms for instance. If I bought the Model 2 Pre-Ban rifle at a dealer near Me, it would run about $850.00. If I built the same rifle from a complete upper and installed the parts kit into a stripped stag lower, that would run about $750.00 give or take a few dollars. But one can be built for much less. I believe you can build a complete rifle for about $575 to $600, maybe less depending on what you want. Those prices are based on what I can get locally and on the web.

dixierifleman
December 3, 2006, 09:45 PM
you can do what im doin. im gettin a kit from model1sales.com. cheapest i found. you can get everything except a stripped lower reciever for $470 dollars. then get a lower for under $100. im goin with a RRA lower and an A3 upper with OD green furniture, chrome barrel, chamber and bore, for under $600.

rugerdude
December 3, 2006, 09:47 PM
You do realize that if you get an AR before I do, that I'm just going to have to get something way cooler right? I'm just saying.

I think your new AK would be mad if it knew what you plan to do.

KSFreeman
December 4, 2006, 08:06 AM
DnPRK, you also need to know what you are doing. One of those assembly DVDs from AGI should help. A buddy who has done it before is better.

FWIW, I'm buying a bunch of stripped lowers to hold in reserve.:) I like LMT, Stag, Rock River, and Sun Devil. Lots of good ones if you know what you are doing--knowledge is power and all that.

mtnbkr
December 4, 2006, 10:06 AM
I built my first an only AR using a mix of parts accumlated over a few months. By catching sales, I built mine for $550ish including the armorer's tool. I had to buy a vice, but since I use that more for other things than for building ARs, I don't include that in the price.

I used a Stag lower, LAR Grizzly A2 upper (cosmetic 2nd from their website), Bushmaster "Superlight" 16" barrel, RRA "enhanced" bolt, RRA 9mm buffer, DPMS upper parts kit, RRA lower parts kit, some generic 6 position stock from the Internet, and a Hogue FF tube and pistole grip. It took me roughly 2hrs to build using the various online instructions. The only tricky parts for me were assembling the rear sight, getting the spring assembly installed for the dust cover, and one of the assembly pin detents (front one IIRC). The rest went togther without any effort at all.

I have roughly 1k rounds through it without any problems at all. It even shoots Wolf ammo well. All I do is use a little lube now and then and hose it out with brake parts cleaner every 1k rounds (I've cleaned it once in other words).

http://mysite.verizon.net/allencb/ar.jpg

Chris

essexcounty
December 4, 2006, 12:29 PM
My last build was a DPMS 16" A2, with an Ace butstock and a single point sling cost me 661.00 If I can recall correctly. Easy to do...........Essex

gac009
December 4, 2006, 10:30 PM
My personal opinion, you can build pretty cheap but if you look you can buy a good new rifle with warranty for around 600-700. Dont build if you are just doing it to save money.

WhyteP38
December 5, 2006, 11:52 AM
I'm new to ARs. The one I have was built for me by someone else, at a reasonable price, and I'm thinking of getting a second one. But all this talk about building one is very interesting.

So it seems that if you wanted to keep things VERY simple, you could order a complete upper (including bolt and charging handle) from some place like Model 1, and order a complete Mega Machine lower (not a stripped lower), and simply pin them together? I realize that doesn't save much money, if at all, but I just want to see if that's feasible.

Lonestar.45
December 5, 2006, 12:02 PM
So it seems that if you wanted to keep things VERY simple, you could order a complete upper (including bolt and charging handle) from some place like Model 1, and order a complete Mega Machine lower (not a stripped lower), and simply pin them together? I realize that doesn't save much money, if at all, but I just want to see if that's feasible.

That's entirely feasible and exactly what I did. I picked up a complete Bushmaster lower locally for about $200 or so (traded for it so that's an estimate). Then I bought a Bushmaster Superlight upper from PK Firearms with the detachable carry handle. I figure I have about $750 into the gun. Not great, but cheaper than what I was finding them for locally (that is, when I could find the Superlights, most everything is HBar or M4 locally).

I could have gone for a much cheaper upper from PK Firearms and probably saved another $100 or so.

Logs
December 5, 2006, 12:59 PM
www.centerfiresystems.com AR's from $699 Doublestar brand, nice rifles.

Kiesler's Firearms in New Albany, IN. Just left there and they have NEW DPMS shorty's with the rail handguards for $719 NIB.

I have built two AR's myself, I figured I saved about $50 $70 each. Yes, it was an experience, but since the prices have dropped with all the new models out there, I would buy a new complete gun now.

WhyteP38
December 5, 2006, 01:44 PM
Yeah, these days I don't expect to save much money, if any. Still, I find it interesting to be able to mix and match.

BUSTER51
December 5, 2006, 01:49 PM
check out www.bravocompanyusa.com
:D

RockyMtnTactical
December 5, 2006, 10:18 PM
Someone told me that its cheaper to assemble your oun AR rather than outright buy one. Is this true? And if so how much cheaper? I know you can get a bushmaster from a sporting goods store for about $850. What all do you need to assemble one? Thanks just trying to get an idea on what to get next.

Yes, as long as you are looking to make it from the best parts, you can build for cheaper than you can buy. Not to mention that you can also build the rifle to your EXACT specifications!

I will always build unless I find an absolute steal on an AR-15.

Here is a list of tools you will need for building your lower:

-Pin Punches
-3 or 4 ounce hammer
-Stock wrench (for carbine stock)
-Allen wrench o flat headr screw driver (for A2 stock)
-Loctite (Non-permanent Loctite is recommended on all screws)

Here is a list of tools you will need for building your upper:

-Barrel Wrench
-Action Blocks
-Vise (mounted firmly on a bench)
-Pin Punch(es) - 1/16” for gas tube roll pin
-3 or 4 ounce hammer
-Front sight adjustment tool
-Loctite (Non-permanent Loctite is recommended on all screws)
-Molybdenum Disulfide lubricant

VaughnT
December 6, 2006, 09:41 PM
I assembled my M4gery and saved quite a bit. When a maker builds the complete rifle, he has to pay an excise tax on it and that's tranfered to the end-user. If you buy the two halves and push the pins, there isn't an excise tax to be transfered to you. Saves you at least $100.

Secondly, you can always find a used upper or lower that has minimal wear. Most folks don't shoot them heavily so you're looking at something with a wear life of, say, 50000 rounds but has only been fired 1000 rounds since bought new. The price is cheaper because it's used, but the life of the product hasn't been seriously impacted.

I bought a complete M4 upper with a mish-mash of parts for $395. I put it on a NIB Stag lower and LPK that set me back $195. Less than $600 and I had a shooter.

Of course, I didn't have a thousand rounds through it before I was adding stuff on. The rear sight is a Troy Ind. The forend is now a YHM drop-in rail. The stock turned from an A2 to a 6pos. And I'm not done.

You either jump in with both feet or run like the wind in the opposite direction. Me? I've embraced the addiction. Just bought a slew of mags from CProducts, including two stainless jobbies that should be neat, and am patiently waiting for the gunshow this month.