PDA

View Full Version : Help me pick a new Kahr

'75Scout
November 27, 2006, 09:49 PM
I'm trying to decide between two sizes and two finishes. I'm looking at these models:

Kahr MK9 (M9093)-Stainless steel
Kahr MK9 Elite (M9098)-Polished stainless

Kahr K9 (M9094C)-Black DLC finish
Kahr K9 (M9098)-Polished stainless

I need a small gun for concealed carry. I am applying to a police academy and will be using the gun in question for off duty carry. I intend to carry the gun IWB or OWB in a Comp-Tac holster. I think both would work great for belt carry, but I might carry the MK9 in a pocket holster on duty as a back-up gun. But it might be too heavy for that.

After wearing a decked out duty belt all day long, I think carrying a Kahr IWB wouldn't even be noticable. I really want to stick with belt carry because I feel a the ability to put the gun into play in an instant and with accuracy and speed will be more important than a deep concealment gun I can't shoot well or rapidly.

The K9 is smaller than the Sig 239 and 232, which seem to be great CCWs. I could conceal it easier and still get a full grip. Also the K9 models seem to get nothing except rave reviews versus the polymer framed guns. While the MK9 would be even easier than the K9, but I'd be giving up a full grip (except with the extended mag) and longer sight plain.

Also is there any functional difference in the standard stainless and the Elite 2003s? Or do they just get a little more attention on the assembly line?

RevolverLover
November 27, 2006, 10:22 PM
Does your agency your applying for allow the Kahr as a backup gun?

don527
November 27, 2006, 10:46 PM
I am awaiting shipment on an MK9 Elite I ordered from Bud's Gun shop.

It was basically a $50 difference between the two and figured I'd go for the Elite than to possibly regret not getting it later. :rolleyes:

I rented an SS MK9 before ordering the Elite sight unseen.

From what I've been reading, all their guns have the same trigger that they once reserved for the Elites so the only difference between the two are polishing of slide and frame for appearance with some laser etching, some beveling of edges of gun and mag well and polishing of feed ramp on barrel all on the Elites. If the price difference wasn't so close I could live with the SS cause I like the matte finish on it.

I currently have a P239 so I went with the MK9 because I want to try pocket carry. It is on the heavy side for a pocket gun but, like you in a way, after CC with a heavy P239 in an HBE IWB holster, pocket carrying an MK9 shouldn't be an issue with a good belt supporting the pants. I will be trying a De Santis Nemesis Pocket holster and ordered a Harpoon holster from PCS. Will probably order an IWB holster too.

http://pcsholsters.com/catalog_item_HPN.html

If I weren't not going to try pocket carry, then I would really consider the K9 or even P9 even though I prefer steel over polymer and willing to take the weight diff. Dimensionally, the K9 is a little bigger than the G26 but still thinner. A full grip. And can't really find any negative posts on the web of them. If the MK9 turns out as good as I expect, then a K9 or MK9 maybe something for the wife to consider (was considering a G26 for her).

Good luck in your choice.

Don

Mosin44az
November 27, 2006, 11:53 PM
I owned an Elite 2003, and actually wrote to Kahr (EMailed) to ask the difference. At one point Kahr was selling standard stainless K9s with the longer, heavier "New York" trigger, and the Elite still had the shorter, lighter "Elite" trigger. Don't know if it makes a huge difference, but you should make sure of whether Kahr is still doing this with the K9s, or the stainless K9s. I recall that there wasn't much of a difference otherwise, beyond the polishing the Elite model shows.

Incidentally, my "stainless" Elite proved to not be stainless, so I would vote for not spending any extra for that finish. The Black DLC finish would be a better bet in my book, especially if they sell that version with the "Elite" trigger.

dajowi
November 28, 2006, 03:17 AM
I just purchased a K-9 with DLC. So far over 700 rounds without any issues at all, granted all that I've shot through it has been Winchester 115 gr FMJ. Very good accuracy. If I recall all K-9s come with the standard NY trigger there is no other option. I got night sights on mine for a reasonable price. Carried strong side, (outside the pants) in a decent holster or in a good shoulder rig and you might forget that your carrying a weapon.

don527
November 28, 2006, 07:38 AM
The K9 Elite does not have the NYCPD spec trigger I believe.

denfoote
November 28, 2006, 12:29 PM
I need a small gun for concealed carry. I am applying to a police academy and will be using the gun in question for off duty carry.

You may want to find out which , if any, off duty carry weapon is authorized by the department you intend to apply to first!!
There is no sense in spending a lot of money on something you may not be able to use!!!

A little homework may just make your life (and wallet) easier!!

'75Scout
November 28, 2006, 02:11 PM
I will call the armorer or talk to a recruiter in the new future and I won't buy until I know. But I would bet that they allow it. They allow you to carry on duty in 9mm, 40, and 45. And in the brands Sig, Glock, and HK. They seem to be pretty relaxed on what they let you carry, so long as its not SAO. Seeing as how the Kahrs are DAO and it service calibers I highly doubt they aren't allowed.