PDA

View Full Version : Just Purchased an old Walther and know nothing about it HELP!!

s55amg
November 27, 2006, 09:17 PM
I just acquired an old Walther pistol. It looks like a ppk. It is small and fits in the palm of my hand and I think its a .380. I am guessing that it is from the WWII era. The serial number is 379055p and is says "ac" directly under the serial number. I have seen newer Walthers that say "acp" but this one just says "ac". Any info that you have about this gun, year of manufacture, model, county of origin, ect. would be greatly appreciated. John

Jim Watson
November 27, 2006, 09:29 PM
Well, if it is a Walther and looks like a PPK, chances are it IS a PPK.
AC was the German WW II secret wartime production code for Walther.
I did not know they used it on PPKs.

.380 was a very uncommon caliber at that time, most were .32s.

blume357
November 28, 2006, 06:38 AM
when you shot it the first time. booby trap gun. Need to send it to me. I'll get you my shipping address.

Folks will need more info before they can identify and pictures always help.

denfoote
November 28, 2006, 12:46 PM
Are there any more markings on the pistol??
Along with the "AC" there should be a Waffenampt (German military) acceptance stamp along with Nazi markings.

The caliber, most likely, would be .32acp (7.65mm).

Here again, without a good hi-rez pic, all this is but a guess!!
Both sides of the gun would be helpful!!

cloudcroft
November 28, 2006, 12:56 PM
s55amg,

Why would you purchase something you know nothing about?

Don't you think some research FIRST would be on order or am I way out in left field with this one.

-- John D.

swmike
November 28, 2006, 01:14 PM
s55amg,

Why would you purchase something you know nothing about?

Don't you think some research FIRST would be on order or am I way out in left field with this one.

-- John D.

That isn't the American Way. Lots of us will buy things that just look good to us and then try and figure out what we have later. Keeps the Economy strong. After all, if we only bought things that were practical, think of all the different "Collectors" that would have nothing to do with their time. All the shops that would go out of business. All the empty gun safes (because we would only own what we could carry).:eek:

Tigerclaw
November 28, 2006, 01:43 PM
Judging from the quick little bit of research I just did in Gangarosa's "The Walther handgun story", it sounds like you have a late wartime PP, not a PPK. The serial numbers and "AC" match the description.

Here are quotes from page 87:

"PPs issued to the German Police had an "Eagle over C" or an "Eagle over F" mark. THe Eagle C guns started around series number 207,000P. Eagle C-marked PPs features a high-gloss polished blue finish. Walther only made 3500 or so, making it quite a rare item today., By serial number 355,000P the Eagle F variationo fthe PP was in porduction with a dull military blue finish. More common than the Eagle C, this pistol had an estimated total procurement of only about 11,000 pistols.

"PPs made late in the war had no Walther markings on the left side of the slide, as per usual; instead, the Walther military identification code "AC" appears on the right side of the slide. These guns are usually found with no loaded-chamber indicator; and their grips are made of low-quality, light-coloured wood with a crude checkering pattern."

I hope my info is correct and of use to you.

Jason

RsqVet
November 28, 2006, 03:43 PM
Cloudcroft ---

Lighten up and stop being so crital, you will likely live longer and have more fun, there is no need for your comments and they serve no constructive use.

Furthermore in fact he never even said he bought it, just aquired, for all you or anyone else knows it was a deal too cheap to pass up or came out of a cigar box from deceased Aunt Mae's garage and he is the only one in the family that has an intrest or a place for guns so he ended up with it. Gosh knows more than a few firearms and other oddball related stuff have come my way for similar reasons.

As to the gun I can not add more than what has already been said other than yes a picture would help and if in original condition it's a nice find.

ammo.crafter
November 28, 2006, 05:58 PM
I have a WWII era Walther PP in 7.65mm (32.acp) with German airforce insigna on frame and barrel.
Any other markings besides the "ac"?

AngusPodgorney
November 28, 2006, 07:50 PM
Furthermore in fact he never even said he bought it

Maybe you want to reread his post. Pay attention to the title... in BOLD!

denfoote
November 28, 2006, 08:40 PM
In this case, the digital cam is your best friend!!

autopsytech
November 28, 2006, 09:25 PM
Last year I bought an unknown Walther for myself. It is the PP Super. Half the fun of owning it is doing the research on it. For me that is the fun of buying or receiving unknown firearms. Learning about them. I really don't care if someone else likes it or not, I just want the info for myself. Then if I decide to sell it or give the gun away later on, I won't seem like an idiot by not knowing anything about that particular firearm. I hope this helps.:p

cloudcroft
November 29, 2006, 12:07 PM
RsqVet,

I was "lightened-up"...you should see me when I am not.

Besides, ignorance begs questioning.

-- John D.

denfoote
November 29, 2006, 04:11 PM
Here ya go!!!! :D

http://world.guns.ru/handguns/hg148-e.htm

http://www.geocities.com/Pentagon/Quarters/2188/ppsup.html

I'm not sure where you are going to find ammo for it nowadays!!
Old Western Scrounger used to have some, but a check of their web site reveals none at present!! :eek:

autopsytech
November 29, 2006, 09:17 PM
Cool, Thanks, Actually I don't have any problems finding the Ammo for it. There are a couple of Web sites that sell it, and I usually come across it at some of the gun shows, Fionchi still makes it as well as some U.S. reloaders. I pay about $20 for 50 rounds. Only real problem is that It wont take H.P.s, I have to use FMJ. Specialty Rounds! Gotta Love Em!:D

Jehzsa
November 30, 2006, 11:52 AM
The PP Super will take HPs just fine. What the heck it feeds carefully made dum-dums without a hitch too. Carefully is the key word, you don't want the jacket separating in the barrel. I carry mine with 90 gr GDHP purchased here,
http://www.starsandstripesammo.com/index2.html Also available with the XTP bullet. Does around 1,075 fps out of mine. About $1.00 per round.

But for plinking purposes, Southern Ohio Gun has plenty of Geco 94 gr truncated-cone ball at around $8.00/50 if purchasing 1k. FWIW, there just might be a chance that a small batch of Hirtenbergers would be imported.

denfoote
November 30, 2006, 01:29 PM
Years ago I had the chance to buy a PP Super.
However, there was a P5 also in the case!! I got the P5 instead!!

I think some collector bought the Super.