PDA

View Full Version : Barsto Barrels for Glock

STITCH
November 27, 2006, 12:18 PM
I have a G23 and I am thinking about purchasing a Barsto barrel. I have seen them advertised as "semi pre fit" what exactly does that mean? what kind of alterations would i have to do to make it work & would i beable to do it myself or should i send it out? :confused:

Tom2
November 27, 2006, 04:01 PM
I assume semi prefit means it might fit and work without any alterations, but then it may need a little stoning or filing here or there to get it just right on some guns. I assume that Glocks would have pretty good tolerances from gun to gun so it might be more likely to work without alot of messing around the first time. I have had Bar Stos installed in 45 ACP type pistols, and always gave the fitting job to a pro. There is likely more variations between different makers 45 autos so it would almost be a given that it would need hand fitting. As for a barrel that is said to be prefit without hand fitting, I would think that barrel might not live up to full potential as they would have to leave tolerances in the negative region to accomodate variations in the different guns, and therefore would be "looser" fit than a barrel custom fit to your gun. Hand fitting should extract the maximum reliability and accuracy of the barrel/gun combo. Even though you have to pay to have it done, at what a Bar sto costs, I would pay extra to get the maximum performance. You can get books on gunsmithing the garden variety 45 auto that will tell you how to fit a barrel to the slide and frame correctly, but even that is not for a beginner. As for Glock gunsmithing guides, I don't know of any and it sounds like something for an expert who knows GLocks, specifically. It is critical enough that I would even let Bar sto fit it themselves, not just any old hacksaw "gun smith".

45reloader
November 27, 2006, 04:27 PM
My KKM barrel fit right in and works great in my G23

STITCH
November 27, 2006, 04:58 PM
How do they compare to a Barsto? What is the cost dif?

scottys1
November 27, 2006, 11:58 PM
I put a Bar-sto in my G22. It needed a minor bit of fitting, just needed to file the rear of the hood a small amount to fit the ejection port at the breech face. It has worked just fine for many thousands of rounds.

A friend got a KKM .357 Sig barrel for his G24 which dropped in and worked just fine with no fitting necessary and no problems.

Quality seemed to be comparable and the price was, as I recall, so close it didn't matter.

Tom B
November 28, 2006, 07:22 AM
I have owned Bar-Sto, KKM and Jarvis barrels in my Glocks. I prefer KKM. Bar-Sto makes a great barrel for sure but for price and availability as well as pre-fit I would go with a KKM drop-in. If you do want to take accuracy to the max get a gunsmith fit Bar-Sto. Also check out the new Lone Wolf Dist. Glock barrels. I haven't used one myself but they are getting good reviews over at Glocktalk.

45reloader
November 28, 2006, 03:39 PM
Lone Wolf barrels are a really good price and all stainless.

http://www.lonewolfdist.com/

Tom2
November 28, 2006, 04:56 PM
Like I said, all my Barsto experience was on the 45 ACP platform, but when fit correctly, quite a huge improvement in accuracy over out of the box gun, which is a variable from one 45 auto to another. Talking regular production, not custom guns. My first SA in 86 or so grouped like dinner plate sized. All over the place. Novaks worked the gun over with a trigger job and hand fitted Barsto. Then it shot really tight groups. Better than me. Quality is there, but like they say, not your only choice especially on the Glock.

thales
December 14, 2006, 03:43 AM

I installed a Bar-Sto semi-prefit barrel on my Glock 20. It took about three careful swipes with an India stone to get it to slip into the slide, and it fits with no detectable play. I saw a considerable improvement in accuracy, and the pistol would no longer fire out of battery. I'm very happy with it.

kat1950
December 16, 2006, 12:52 PM
Try Bill Wilson (Wilson Combat), mine are awesom.