PDA

View Full Version : 45 to 10mm coversion

tony stark
November 25, 2006, 02:21 AM
i have an old colt 45 acp. it has been modified to the point that the collector value is that of a shooter. (a good one, buy the way)
i am thinking of getting a 10mm barrel and making a conversion. would i need a new slide to? how practical is my idea?

saands
November 25, 2006, 04:14 PM
I looked at that ... really I wanted to have it be a convertible. You need a new barrel ... that is clear. Because the 10mm case head is so much smaller than the 45, you also need a new slide assembly (including the internals) ... and you also need a new (taller, IIRC) ejector. I think that is "all" ... in the end, it is almost certainly going to be cheaper to just buy a new 10mm pistol (which can be good or bad) ... I HIGHLY recommend the fullsized steel Witness 10mm's (~$325) and especially if the Glock grip angle doesn't suit you. Some say that the quality is hit/miss ... but all I've ever seen (out of 5) are "hits."

Saands

smince
November 25, 2006, 08:05 PM
I'm not sure about a new ejector, as most all are "extended" now. But don't forget: 10mm magazines along with the slide and barrel.

RickB
November 26, 2006, 10:55 AM
The ejector is wider, because of the smaller rim diameter. The frame feed ramp is a different shape, too. Really, only the pins and springs are interchangeable.

smince
November 26, 2006, 04:22 PM
I've shot 9mm and 38Super on a .45ACP 1911 frame with the same extended ejector and haven't had any problems. Just exchange the slide assembly for the appropriate caliber and was good to go. Actually just changed barrels and magazines with the 9mm in a 38Super slide. It should also work with the 10mm with appropriate top end assembly.

gandog56
November 26, 2006, 06:58 PM
A 400 Cor-Bon mod is much easier. All it takes is a barrel change.

deadmarsh
November 27, 2006, 11:59 AM
You'd be better off buying something like a Para (old style) P16/40 and conver that to a 10mm.

-- same magazines..
-- buy 22" recoil spring...
-- install Aftec extractor system...
-- send to gunsmith to have chamber bored to 10mm and restamped...
-- go to 10mmtalk and search conversions -- your questions will be addressed there...

Dead