PDA

View Full Version : Springfield GI Micro Compact - CCW?

JPipes
November 20, 2006, 02:23 PM
http://www.springfield-armory.com/prod-pstl-1911-GI.shtml

I can't find much information on the GI version of this micro compact? I'd be carrying it for CCW purposes as well as range time. Anybody heard anything about it?

Thanks...

nssa4914
November 20, 2006, 02:25 PM
I have one. Fuctioned perfectly but wouldn't hit the broad side of a barn at 5 feet. Sent it back to Springfiled and they returned it 2 weeks later with a new barrel. Now it will hit flies on the side of that barn at quadruple the distance :)

JPipes
November 20, 2006, 04:41 PM
Thanks. I'm trying to decide between that or a Taurus PT745. I'm in and out of offices all day, usually in slacks, dress shirt and a tie.

That Micro Compact looks mighty cool, though....

Greg Bell
November 20, 2006, 05:07 PM
Shot one this week. It was accurate and had an O.K. trigger. It had a feedway jam (I shot it about 20 times) but the guy had some weird modified +1 Kimber mag in it. So, YMMV. I liked it otherwise.

kart racer
November 21, 2006, 01:19 AM
I had one,ask 1911 Tuner about it on the high road.I thought that was what I wanted,but it wasn't my cup of tea.I still didn't trust it,even after everything he had done.The smallest I'll go anymore is a commander.

dajowi
November 21, 2006, 02:09 AM
"In and out of offices all day..." Dressed like that and in those kinds of environments I'd skip the Springfield and get the thinnest and lightest semiauto on the market, the Keltec P32. My experience carrying all sorts of semiautos in similar circumstances established that inside the pants carry is the most uncomfortable. Stong side hip holsters barely suffice. So called "pocket pistols" may fit into a pocket but weight becomes a factor real fast. Shoulder holsters work great for me and will work as long as you don't have to remove your jacket and I wouldn't dream of Thunder Wear - Ouch! The P32 can truly fit in a pocket and not be noticed, and you don't have to build your wardrobe around a firearm.