PDA

View Full Version : Black Powder Elk

rem33
November 18, 2006, 05:32 PM
Shot a elk this morning with a CV black powder 50 caliber I picked up a while back. First elk I ever shot with anything other than my '06. First anything with black powder. Was a little concerened not having another shot quick but was presented with a great shot so made the first one count. Did do a follow up but after skining doubt it would have been needed, better safe than sorry. Put the first one thru both lungs, bullet exited. Was using a T/C 320 grain bullet as we must hunt traditional here.
Was exciting to shoot and not be able to see the animal for a few seconds for the smoke, and know it's going to be awhile till you can shoot again. I have been lucky and have killed plenty of game to where it was not as exciting as it once was, but this gave me the thrill like hunting used to. I may be hooked.

rem33
November 22, 2006, 01:37 AM
A bit of a correction after butchering today. I do believe the first shot broke her shoulder and this was why she never ran at all. I recovered that slug or what is left of it. Second shot took the lungs.
What a job cutting, grinding and wrapping. Dad and I started cutting at about 9:30 this morning, then had to grind the burger. We did have a couple of helpers wrapping but it was 6:30 or so but the time we wrapped the last package.

Is a nice hide so am going to have it tanned , hair on. Not sure what to do with it yet but will figure something out for sure.

Fremmer
November 22, 2006, 09:11 AM
Great job, Rem! I'm thinking about trying blackpowder, too. You and your family will have some great food for the holidays!

Was the slug that you recovered really deformed, or did it retain most of its size and shape?

rem33
November 22, 2006, 08:13 PM
It was extremely deformed, so much so that I doubt anyone except some one that has seen plenty of deformed bullets would ever guess what it was. Even then it would take a close look to see a slight bit of the rear rim. It struck just below the joint, shattered the large bone then went gone two or three inches more.
I did weight it and there was 196.5 grains left from a 320 grain T/C bullet. using 100 grains of triple 7.