PDA

View Full Version : SS or blued barrel for hunting rifle?

marinemaster
November 18, 2006, 03:05 PM
Hi,

Looking to get a hunting rifle.

What is better for hunting? SS or blued barrel? It does not matter how it looks as long it last dependable. Wich one will last longer and why? I see that the SS cost more but I do not buy a rifle every day so the 50 to 100 difference does not matter.

Thanks

Chris

kc-griz
November 18, 2006, 03:27 PM
Boils down to personal preference. I like the looks of the SS but some prefer the traditional blued look. If you're hunting in a remote environment that subjects your rifle to extreme moisture or humidity and your ability to thoroughly clean and lubricate your firearm is limited, the SS may be a better option. Also, SS will rust as well if neglected.

hossdaniels
November 18, 2006, 03:35 PM
My a-bolt is stainless, with a synthetic stock. Its just more practical for me leaving the gun in the truck for two months a year. If I can get off a hour early in hunting season, I'm heading to the woods, not the house. I have heard arguments for the blued bbls for the reason of being harder to spot by game than a stainless bbl, and it may be valid, but has never been a problem for me.

Art Eatman
November 18, 2006, 03:39 PM
Purely personal preference. I'm using blued/wood rifles that are over 100 years old. Stainless works quite well. No big deal, either way...

Art

TPAW
November 18, 2006, 09:53 PM
Art,

Thanks for the TV tip!.........:)