PDA

View Full Version : SIG Trailside

yoyoma
November 17, 2006, 07:34 PM
Looking at a new Trailside. Anyone here own one and have an opinion? I notice SIG does not show them on website. Are they discontinued? Heard they are extremely accurate .22

rickseiko
November 17, 2006, 10:05 PM
Yes they are discontinued, yes they are accurate. I have the 4inch fixed sight model that CDNN is selling for $299.00. I have maybe 2k rounds through it. It broke at the range yesterday, will go back to the shop tomorrow. The magazines are expensive and plastic. The gun can't be disassembled with out removing any optic you have on it. I hear there is a mount for the 6inch model that rectifies this issue. I still like mine but I would recommend finding another .22 to anyone looking at them.

deadmarsh
November 18, 2006, 10:26 AM
One of the best deals out there, but just use standard velocity ammunition (1000 f/s variety)...these are target handguns, not designed for Stingers and such over long periods...a Hammerli (they nade the Trailside for Sig) is more than twice their price of equal design...

Dead

Boondoggie
November 18, 2006, 02:16 PM
I have one of the original 4.5" adjustable sights with the blue/gray laminated wood grips, new in Dec 2000.

Since then it's seen about 10K plus rounds of standard velocity Federals and Remington's.

The pin acting as the pivot for the adjustable rear sight fell off at about 2000 rounds, Sig replaced it and it fell off again after another 2000 rounds. Had the pin 'staked' in now and it seems to have held.

A friend bought the same gun but with the 6" barrel, 2 months after I did. The plastic filler piece under the barrel, that requires to be removed for disassemble, fell off after about 200 rounds. Sig replaced it and it still did the same thing. He finally replaced it with an aluminum unit from competition model and it stopped falling off.

The finish on both slides began to 'peel off' almost like lamination after about 3000 rounds and mounting any optics on the barrel will destroy the finish.

We have both kept the guns around as general plinker's, and they still get a good work out from the kids.

We both paid about $400 each for these when they first appeared on the market and in retrospect should have saved up the extra $300 for a Mod 41.

Target guns they are not, accurate plinkers...ok, worth the money? you decide.

Tortuga12
November 18, 2006, 02:18 PM
I would reccommend a good used High Standard Supermatic over a Trailside. Just not one made in Texas.

BUSTER51
November 18, 2006, 03:10 PM
not the same fine high Quality as all other Sig's. a S&W 41 it ain't.:(

Corey Jacobs
November 18, 2006, 08:21 PM
I have one with about 4000 rounds through it.. 4.5" with adjustable sights. The "nickel" is starting to peel on the inside of the slide, and if you don't pay attention to the front barrel weight, it will slide off. Yes, I upgraded to the weight instead of the cheap plastic piece that came with it. That was a big help. Got it at www.larrysguns.com

It fires everytime (it does not like WWB bulk ammo) and is very accurate for the short sight radius and barrel of the 4.5" model.

Mags are expensive, but they are very durable.