PDA

View Full Version : DSA FN-FAL or M1a in a SAGE EBR

RsqVet
November 15, 2006, 10:33 AM
OK --- Given that a DSA fairly well done comes out to well over 2k and that with some judicious scrounging and a little luck a nicely put together M1a (I would use a LRB reciever) could be put together in an EBR stock for this same ball park which is the better choice?

The DSA has the advantage of a single source, compleate package where to go with the M1a will require some actual work on my part and some running around / shipping things etc etc.

I am also thinking the M1a has a slightly greater overall accuracy potential and perhaps durability?

The M1a also would have somewhat better iron sights.

Any thoughts would be much apreciated.

tigerfans2
November 16, 2006, 12:53 PM
DSA STG-58s using some milsurp parts are somewhat less than 2K. Plenty of parts available, cheap mags, easy to work on, plenty durable, plenty of accuracy for it's intended purpose (though less accurate than a target M1A).

constitution
November 16, 2006, 01:20 PM
Id go with the DSA.The mags cost a whole lot less plus you can adjust the gas valve to custom loads,the choices are better.

FAL rifles are one of the easiest rifles to clean and maintain.

You can do the same thing to a fal that you can with the m1a as far as customizing,imbel receiver and isreali heavy barrel kit with the us parts for compliance made by DSA, and there you are.It'll be a shooter for sure.

Pucker
November 16, 2006, 01:28 PM
I've heard that you have to completely disassemble the m1/sage to properly clean it and that you have to rezero after each time. That and the extending buttstock is supposedly easy to bend/break. Some trooper back from the sandbox posted the straight dirt on them on ar15.com...I'll see if I can find it.

nbkky71
November 16, 2006, 02:17 PM
Personally, I've never been fond of the FAL series rifles. No disrespect intended because they are quite robust & dependable rifles... I just don't feel as comfortable behind the trigger on them as I do an M1A.

I will agree that the sights are better on an M1A.

Just out of curiousity, why do you want a SAGE/EBR stock on an M1A? Unless you have a need for such a stock, save yourself the $700 and use a standard stock. Better yet... sink that money into a nice McMillan M1A stock instead.

What are you going to be using the rifle for... target shooting, competition, etc?

If you want to wring the utmost accuracy out of an M1A, you're going to spend some serious $$$ doing that. If you're looking for a tack-driver just go ahead and buy a supermatch from the start.

gunguy24
November 16, 2006, 09:59 PM
Don't forget to look at all of your options, I had to make the same decision, but I also looked at the AR style rifles. At first I only considered the DSA SA58and Springfield M1, but I looked at all of the different .308's on the market, and ended up with an AR10 A2 for less than $1000. I am very happy with my decision, as I have friends that own both the DSA and Springfields, but the AR just fits me better. The 20 inch chrome lined barrel is very accurate, as are the iron sights.

BUSTER51
November 16, 2006, 10:05 PM
If you go the m1 way you can build one of the most accurat semi rifles around ,much better than a FAL .:D