PDA

View Full Version : Advice on a Target rifle

Ac1d0v3r1d3
November 11, 2006, 08:09 PM
Well i've been shooing my .22 bolt for a few years now. I own a couple of Ak's and an sks, also an HK91 clone, but only use them for plinking. None of these are really accurate enough for serious target shooting.
So i think i'm ready to graduate from rimfire to centerfire target shooting. I guess that means i'm in the market for a bolt action centerfire rifle. I know almost nothing about the good brands/models. I do know that all i'm going to be using this rifle for is target shooting, maybe hunting eventually but not for a few years. So i'm not going to rule out .223 or anything on the smaller side. It'll need to be capable of 1 moa, bolt action and i'd prefer to have iron sights as well as a scope. My range only goes out to 100yds, so thats the distance i'll be shooing at most.
Price range, i really just dont know what i'm going to need to spend on a quality rifle, but i figure that i can always buy the rifle first and then pick up a good scope after a little while if need be. My budget will be about 500-750, for now. If ya'll have any other questions let me know and thanks in advance for the advice

Maximus856
November 11, 2006, 08:53 PM
Can't go wrong with a nice savage 110/111. They have complete packages for about $500, which leaves you about $250 to get some better glass then what they give you (probably a simmons 3-9?). They come in some of the more desirable rounds too, including .223, .22-250, .308, 30-06, 7mm, and .300wsm.

-Max

mike83
November 11, 2006, 10:05 PM
The Remington 700 or Winchester 70 are both good choices. Ruger also has some good rifles. My friend has a Tikka Tactical in .308 that is great but a little high on the price.

Ac1d0v3r1d3
November 12, 2006, 01:00 AM
Should i go for a stainless barrell?
What about a bi-pod?
What calibre is best? Or is it just personal peference?
What Barrel length is best? Is it dependent on calibre?
What kind of twist ratio will i want? Thats dependent on Calibre and bullet weight right?
What power scope should i use and what are some quality brand?

thanks ya'll

BusGunner007
November 12, 2006, 01:34 AM
That would be a good choice for ammo prices and just enjoying the rifle.

You've got the .308 and 7.62x39 for fun.
A .22LR is a 'must have' and you have that covered.

I'd start thinking about an AR/.223 setup + a few magazines, in light of this last election...and before prices go UP.

Good Luck.

Scott
November 13, 2006, 01:31 PM
I've had good experiences with the Savage FP10 in .223. Short money, and accurate, but the tupperware stock needs a little work, along with the trigger.
I own a Rem. 700P in .223. Very accurate and has the nice kelvar stock and an acceptable trigger. A little bit more money.
Just bought a Remington XR-100 "Rangemaster" for my daughter in .223. About $800....but it has a nice 40X adjustable trigger, laminated thumbhole stock. I had it out on the range this weekend and got 1/2 inch groups out of it at 100 yds. with my handloads. I'll be curious to see what it does when it gets a few more rounds down the barrel.
All my target work is off-hand, so I'm not well versed on bipods.
An AR or other gas gun is totally out of the question?
Scott

ranger dave
November 13, 2006, 02:13 PM
what range do you want to shoot if under 200 the .223 rem is a good way to go a lot of co. make good ammo for it at a good price black hills being one of the best good luck

P-990
November 13, 2006, 03:08 PM
Out to 300, on paper targets, a good .223 is the way to go for a casual range target rifle.

I'd vote to try out a Savage 10 of some configuration before all else, though they don't have irons.

Now if you're going to go on to formal competitions, say, NRA Highpower (or shooting CMP matches), the way to go is to just save the $$ and spend it on a good CMP-ready AR-15. Iron sights, rock-solid, typically more accurate than the trigger-jockey (depending on barrel quality) and wickedly easy to shoot well. (Case in point: I haven't hardly shot my match gun for about a year now and was cleaning the 100-yard practice target sitting.)

Ac1d0v3r1d3
November 13, 2006, 08:34 PM
For he time being i'm only going to be shooting out to 100 yrds since that is all my range has, and i think it's a good starting point for a beginner. Semi auto is not out of the question, if it is 1moa capable.
So far it looks like .223 is winning calibre-wise, how is the US Mil Sup ammo on accuracy?
I dont plan on entering any compititions, not yet anyway. Give me a couple of years.
What would the price be on a match AR-15? I can probably spend up to 1200 if i really really push it. (PB&J for a couple of weeks, Yeehaw)

Scott
November 13, 2006, 08:55 PM
If you're using a .223 bolt gun, you might wanna stay away from ball or mil-surp ammo and stick with commercial .223. I only burn ball or surplus ammo in my stock service rifle upper. Ball ammo runs at higher pressures and is designed more for service rifles that employ a few different dimensions within the chamber.
If you're gonna be shootin' enough, you'll save by rolling your own. I can turn out my own rounds at a cost of about 17-19 cents apiece.
I can easily get MOA out of my B'Master A2 upper with my own handloads.
$1,200 should buy you a good CMP or "NM" AR15.

shooter_john
November 13, 2006, 09:00 PM
Savage offers the 10FP (matte/ synthetic)in .223, .308, and others for less than $500, and the 12FVSS (SS/ synthetic) in the same calibers for around $600 if you want a stainless rifle. I have owned a 10FP in .223 and I currently own a 12FVSS in .308, and I would NEVER even consider spending all of that extra cash on a Remington (and yes, once upon a time I owned a couple of Remington's).
I can get 1/2" groups at 100 yards with my 12, and I could do the same with the .223, and that is all of the accuracy I need for what I do, and from what you posted you are looking for, I think it would suit you well also. The only con I can think of one the Savage's is their synthetic stocks, which are OK at best, but you will not be dissappointed with their rifle.
With all of that said, a good accurate AR would be a lot of fun for you, but they may exceed your price range a little bit:( .

Ac1d0v3r1d3
November 13, 2006, 09:03 PM
now look what ya'll went and done.
I told myself that if i ever buy an AR i'd build it myself, either kit or upper/lower, so now I'm gonna have to build my own AR. Aint it a shame

look for my new thread titled "AR-15 build recomendations" :D

30Cal
November 14, 2006, 12:00 PM
I dont plan on entering any compititions, not yet anyway. Give me a couple of years.

A lot of guys don't think they're good enough to shoot competition or that they need to practice before they show up to their first match. If you want to become a good marksman, show up to a match with what you have and start learning.