PDA

View Full Version : "Beaver tails" and IWB carry? Ouch?

Mokumbear
November 11, 2006, 12:55 PM
I have noticed that a lot of the smaller .45's have beaver tails.

I believe I understand their purpose, but it seems like it would
poke into your gut every time you bent over.

(assuming you are like me and need to carry in the front of your
pants because it won't fit on the "hip" side)

What is your experience?

Yukonart
November 11, 2006, 01:05 PM
Just adds to the caution we're all given as boys . . . "never bend over" :D

FS2K
November 11, 2006, 02:14 PM
I guess for carrying purposes you'd want a de-honed Beavertail on a 1911, you know, all the edges smoothed out so nothing digs into your clothing.

I like a high grip when shooting a 1911 and the Beavertail Safety allows for that. This being the case, it isn't nessesary on a carry gun.

But they do add style don't they? :)

The Beavertail poses no more of a problem as the hammer when carrying IWB. Even without a Beavertail Safety the hammer extends just as far out in the "cocked and locked" position....which in reality ISN'T a problem for most people. I guess you will have to try it yourself, but it has never been a problem for me.

Mokumbear
November 11, 2006, 02:34 PM
Well, while this may possibly require another post, and it might be another
year (since I just bought a Ruger P90), but what .45 would be
rather "beaver free" and reasonably comfortable to carry in an IWB?

BTW, I am carrying the P90 at night, and I really like it, but it seems like a little
bulky for, say, a long road trip where you are sitting for a prolonged period.

FS2K
November 11, 2006, 03:44 PM
It will all come down to personal preference. There are other things to consider as well such as what type of finish you prefer, what type of rig (holster) you like or already have, what kind of capacity you want and so forth.

I (like many other people here) have had to go through the same selection process you are going through now, and as for me I wanted something light, not too cumbersome, that was very corrosion resistant. I chose my Glock G26. I know, no help to you what so ever, but its what fit my criteria.
However, for your consideration, I was looking into getting one of these;

http://www.springfield-armory.com/prod-pstl-1911-mc.shtml

Then of course there's the Glock 36 ;)

http://www.allglock.com/item.aspx?PID=3742

or this;

http://www.parahawg.com/

And since you are familiar with Ruger;

http://www.gunblast.com/Ruger-P345.htm

Good Luck!

Majic
November 12, 2006, 02:00 AM
Why doesn't it fit on your hip? A lot of us actually have it right behind the point of the hip.

Bill DeShivs
November 12, 2006, 02:27 AM
90% of shooters don't "need" a beavertail grip safety. Most people just like the look. The 1911 hammer is fully protected with either the 1911 or 1911A1 grip safety.
Bill

Socrates
November 12, 2006, 04:26 AM
Yes, carrying with thunderwear, any time I sit down, the darn
beavertail sticks me in the stomach. got rid of my Ultra Carry II for that reason. Detonics Mark VI seems to be the only 1911 design that doesn't have the darn beavertail. I'd like a 4" Barrel, and, no beavertail. CCO, and some of the Kimbers fit this discription, but, both have beavertails.

G36, if they have the bugs worked out, or, the G30, look like the best combination of light weight, no beavertails, and function. Plus, Glocks Barrels are fast, and, they are smart enough to keep them at nearly 4" inches.

There is a HUGE difference between 30 oz and 20 oz, in concealed carry. Loaded, a G36 is going to weigh about 27 oz. The P345 seems to start at 30 oz, and goes up with mag.

S

S

Bill DeShivs
November 12, 2006, 04:31 AM
The grip safety can be changed to a "standard" model very easily. Find a gun that meets the other criteria and simply change it out.
Bill

RevolverLover
November 12, 2006, 11:07 AM
The grip safety can be changed to a "standard" model very easily. Find a gun that meets the other criteria and simply change it out.

If you like the 1911 and what to appendix carry then I would also change the grip safety if you think the beavertail is going to poke you. But if you set on the 1911 get one that you like even if it has a beavertail and try carrying it with it before you change anything. You might just like it.

UH1-D Rotorhead
November 12, 2006, 11:37 AM
1. Beavertails

2. Forward slide serrations

3. Mag funnels

4. Giant magazine release buttins

5. Full length guide rods

6. Grip checkering

7. Paint (Armot Kote, Ceramakote, Beavercoat, Durakote, ughhh)

8. Extended slide releases

9. Extended ambi-safeties

IMHO of course.;)

brickeyee
November 12, 2006, 04:57 PM
Some of us have heavy enough hands to get bitten even by a commander hammer with a regular grip safety.
If you do not have a problem the beavertail is not needed.

45-70
November 12, 2006, 05:19 PM
My 1911 IWB holster from Rafters Gunleather has an extension above the back of the holster that keeps hammer and beavertail off my skin and pretty well cushions everything. I think the beavertail sticking in my side would be easier to take than the cocked and locked hammer spur on a traditional 1911, but that holster extension would cover it, too.

Rafters are not the only holster makers that will add that extension, so if you have a problem with hammer spur or beavertail, check one out.

M14fan
November 13, 2006, 12:00 AM
You beat me to the punch. I was going to suggest that the remedy is to get an IWB holster with the leather covering the entire profile of the firearm on the body contact side. There are several manufacturers that make them. If I don't wear such a holster I get poked by the grip safety, the hammer, the rear sights, the thumb safety..... Man! I think I need to get into the Gym STAT!!:eek:

Mosin44az
November 13, 2006, 12:19 AM
I would also be careful about getting a 1911 that is too truncated on the grip safety. Tried Para-Ordnances with a beavertail, and then a Tac-Four with the snubbed "carry" grip safety that company offers. Big difference in shooting comfort. I wouldn't own one of the stumpy ones, though I do see the issue with the beavertail as described above.

10 MickeyMouse
November 13, 2006, 02:36 AM
Well, while this may possibly require another post, and it might be another
year (since I just bought a Ruger P90), but what .45 would be
rather "beaver free" and reasonably comfortable to carry in an IWB?

Taurus PT 145 mil pro

Kahr P45

Glock 30, 37(?)

AMT Back-up DAO

S&W CS-45

Mark Milton
November 13, 2006, 07:34 AM
Mil Spec grip safeties and the old Spade type grip safeties made by King don't poke a love handle as much as the faddish Beavertails. :o