PDA

View Full Version : Was there ever a change in Sig P229 grip panels?

nopraise_noblame
November 10, 2006, 12:27 PM
Ok, I have a P229 that I bought used. It's an early model with the old-style mainspring strut (without the plastic insert.) I like the stock grip panels except for that they feel like they narrow a little much towards the back portion. When I went to the armorer's course and worked on the new P229R DAK, the grips definately felt different; I much prefered those grips to mine. The question is, I've seen "new style" grips pop up on Ebay for the P229; is there really a "new style" grip panel design for the P229, or are the DAK grips different/specific to that model?

Thanks.

fastbolt
November 10, 2006, 01:18 PM
I'd have to dig out my notes, but I remember from my armorer's class that we were told to leave the grips that originally came on the pistol on the pistol, because there have been some changes among some of the grip panels over time. One example given to us was that the P220's had changed, and the newer panels aren't intended to be installed on the earlier 220's. The way the inside of the panels were molded to fit against the springs was one of the reasons given.

Why not give the instructor a call and ask, though?

Recon7
November 10, 2006, 09:41 PM
well, my 229 grips have a notch/groove space for the decocker. the dak is double action and does not have a decocker, so I doubt the grips are the same.

nopraise_noblame
November 11, 2006, 12:21 AM
You may be correct (I assume they are different, myself) but it looks like they are really, really similar if not the same. It looks like the DAK grips have a vestigial notch for the decocking lever.

Hmm, I really liked the DAK grip feel (the trigger is another story altogether.)

DAK
http://www.discountfirearms.com/PHOTOS/PISTOLS/SIG/p229r-dak-large.jpg

DA/SA
http://www.goeaston.net/~johnma/Graphics/Sig%20P229.bmp

I was tempted to get a "new-style" grip panel set for my "old-school" P229 on Ebay, today. I was wondering if there really is a "new-style" grip for the P229, or if that was just typical Ebay BS.

I think I'll probably just get some to try (they're cheap enough) and if they don't fit, offer them in the classified section. I tried Hogue wrap-around grips, but they were just a little too big for my hands, plus this is my carry gun, and I don't like rubber for that because it tends to grab my shirt.

fastbolt, when I went to the course, I remember Bob Schnieder saying not to use aftermarket grips on Sigs because they can potentially interfere with the trigger return spring. Mine has the older-style trigger return spring, and I didn't notice any problems with the Hogue grips on mine. Of course, others mileage may vary, but it is definately something to watch out for. Thanks for reminding me about that. Sig's website just has one kind of P229 grip panels listed; so, either they're the same, or Sig's website isn't very detailed. Given that they don't even list the P229R Elite yet, I'm guessing the latter.

AK103K
November 11, 2006, 07:32 AM
I've replaced the grips on an older P220 I have with the new style with no problems. I didnt see any interference on either panel when put on one at a time and function has been 100%.

For what the newer versions go for on EBay, its probably worth the try.

The main difference between the older 220 grips and the new ones is looks. My old ones were basically checkered, while the newer ones are stippled with the logo on them. Feel was the same, as far as I can tell.

I did replace the factory grips on my P239 with Houge checkered wood grips. The factory panels were to narrow for me and the Houges swell more in the palm. I just wish SIG would offer something with a little more swell, as I like the factory synthetic grips better.

donglock26
November 11, 2006, 02:29 PM
Sig changed the trigger bar spring on the right side of the pistol under the grip. I think newer Sigs need grips that will fit over the new spring design.

AK103K
November 11, 2006, 02:46 PM
I have newer 229R's. If you want, I can pull the grips and take a pic.

fastbolt
November 11, 2006, 04:56 PM
donglock26 is right about the trigger bar springs changing.

nopraise_noblame, I pulled out my notes and found where I'd written that the 'new style' trigger bar springs (looped coil in center) have modified grip panels for the thicker spring dimension (coiled loop), compared to the older style trigger bar spring which was basically just a dog-legged wire spring. I made a note that the instructor emphasized not to mix grips & springs (because of potential resulting functioning issues). We were working on P229R DAK pistols at the time, BTW.

The comment was made during my class that Sig Sauer pistols are 'grip dependant' because of the trigger bar springs, and the panels are channeled to properly hold their respective springs. We were also told that Sig Sauer considers the removal of grip panels as an armorer-only function when it comes to LE guns. Interesting, that, huh? ;)

I've also heard that while the older frames were dedicated to either TDA or DAK, that there have been some newer frames produced within the last several months which have different frame cuts to allow them to be used to produce both models. Apparently this is for factory convenience in production, NOT to permit armorers to change the design/operation of pistols as produced and shipped out to agencies. The caveat of leaving the pistols in the format in which they were originally produced remains in effect.

nopraise_noblame
November 11, 2006, 06:26 PM
AK103K, that would be great and very much appreciated. I'm more concerned about the inside of the RH panel.

fastbolt, thanks for the input. Very interesting to hear about the frames.

Thanks for the responses. I think I'm going to take my chances on the newer P229R grips and if they don't work, offer them up to whoever wants them here. Of course, I could always get a new parts kit, with the redesigned trigger bar return spring, too.

Yep, that was pretty interesting about grip removal being an "armorer only" job, but it makes sense given that most normal screwdrivers tend to mar the screws, being that the slot in the screws is slightly concave.

Still trying to find that "perfect" grip for the shape/size of my hands.

AK103K
November 11, 2006, 07:04 PM
Here ya go. If you want the full size pic, let me know. Its a little big to post here.

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid218/p0709d35a89333a9dec142245f9202bda/ec176bbb.jpg

duckcallinfool
November 16, 2006, 02:12 PM
I think what they are referring to as the new style grip is the one with the Sig Sauer Logo on one side and the model # on the other side. This versus the ones you would find on say a German built P228 or P225 with the checkered grips and no logos.