PDA

View Full Version : What to do when ejected brass comes at you face

DBski
November 8, 2006, 07:24 PM
Just got a new Firestrom/Bersa mini 45, first at the range I had 4 ftf took gun home and cleaned and polished feed ramp. Next range outing fired Winchester SXT hp and magtech fmj, not a single problem, except some of the ejected brass comes right back in your face, not all but some, in fact got a slight cut on my forehead from it. Of course I'm wearing safety glasses at the range but wouldn't be out in the world (CCW). Anyone have any suggestions to this problem? Otherwise I think this is a great carry gun, good accruracy for a self defense weapon, recoil not unpleasant, 7 + 1 capacity of 45acp, I like it.

jwfab1`
November 8, 2006, 07:29 PM
Stand as far to the left side while at the range, about the only advice I can give you.

solz56
November 8, 2006, 07:30 PM
It's probably an extractor thing.

bobhwry
November 8, 2006, 07:37 PM
Trade it for a better gun!!

TN-popo
November 8, 2006, 08:00 PM
DBski...as solz56 said, it's probably the extractor that needs tuning.
On the bright side, it should be an easy (and cheap) thing to resolve by someone who is qualified.
What's the Bersa warranty like?

King_chin0
November 8, 2006, 08:17 PM
Well it actually happens alot, even with a tuned extractor it can still come at you. Stop crying bout it and be a man about it :D j/k
but yes, go tune your extractor, my colt does it as well, but I got use to it, lol I just don't have time to get the gun to a smith yet, but as I have already said, even with a well maintained extractor, the extraction of the shell will never be 100% consistent

pax
November 8, 2006, 08:18 PM
What to do when ejected brass comes at you face

Close your mouth. :eek:

;)

pax

King_chin0
November 8, 2006, 08:35 PM
^^^oh very good one:D welding masks also help :D

torque
November 8, 2006, 09:43 PM
http://img169.imageshack.us/img169/7421/00354170kl4.jpg
:D

King_chin0
November 8, 2006, 11:10 PM
lol^:D

michael t
November 8, 2006, 11:15 PM
Hold pistol high ,arms length, turn on side, wrist bent slighty downward. More accurate if hat on side ways and pants around knees
Come to http://bersatalk.com We have factory warrenty gunsmith as member He will help you.

oldbillthundercheif
November 9, 2006, 12:26 AM
I have a 1911 that developed a nasty habit of ejecting brass into my forehead at an unwelcome velocity. I have been meaning to take it to the smith to have him fiddle with it...

For now I take the stopgap measure of only firing that one while wearing a hat.:D

FrontSight
November 9, 2006, 12:33 AM
bet with your friends who can catch most out of 10 with your teeth!

Shoney
November 9, 2006, 01:00 AM
GEEEEZZZZ!!!!!!!! Everyone knows you're supposed to shoot with the old miror over the shoulder trick. But watch out for those hot shells down your back.

dgnizer
November 9, 2006, 01:16 AM
try not to catch the casing with your face. LOL. You if all else fails wear a baseball cap to protect you.

DBski
November 9, 2006, 09:48 AM
For all the comedians, you provided a good laugh. For all the responders with useful information, a sincere thank you.

KRoyal
November 9, 2006, 10:27 AM
You could always just get good at catching them with your teeth, You never know you might get famous i'd pay to see some one burn a 10rd mag and catch the brass in his teeth.:D

EDIT: Damit reading farther down scrapp5000 already took mine ohwell.

Chris73
November 9, 2006, 06:23 PM
I wear a baseball cap to the range. Rarely does it fly back at me outdoors, it seems to happen more indoors from bouncing off the lane dividing wall.

Big Calhoun
November 10, 2006, 12:10 PM
+1 on baseball cap!! I have a couple of nice scars from my pre-basbeball cap era at the range. Haven't had that issue since.

At least the scars make for a good conversation piece.

King_chin0
November 10, 2006, 12:38 PM
A situation of this has happened at the range this pass weekend. I was letting my friend shot my .45. A shell came back and hit him right under the eye, gave him a black eye, quit funny actually, but luckily he didn't get hurt because it was millimeters from his eye. I would suggest full gear, clear snowboarding googles, and an army helmet :D j/k

+1 on the baseball cap as well, bout the only thing you can really do. I have seen those gigantic visors withthe clear beal you can flip down to cover your face, if you can find one that might work too, not trying to be funny, but you might just look a lil goofy at the range

1911austin
November 10, 2006, 01:01 PM
Shoot gansta style. The empties will go sideways. :D

King_chin0
November 10, 2006, 03:07 PM
^^^^will also cause multiple jams because of feeding angle problem:D